Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jiving Sister Fanny
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 24, 2004 16:43

I've got Metarmorphosis running on my stereo, and Jiving Sister Fanny is such a cool song. As far as I remember, it was originally recorded in 1969(?), so is this song an outake for Let it Bleed? And who played the great lead guitar, I guess it's Taylor but I'm not sure.

Re: Jiving Sister Fanny
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 24, 2004 17:34

Taylor on the lead

C

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: December 26, 2004 01:44

JSF & I Dont Know Why I Love You from MM are two of my favourite tracks. The rhythm & lead playing from Keith & Mick T. is out of this world.
I guess they are outtakes in that they werent considered strong enough material to be released on a studio album.
This just shows the staggering quality of material they were recording if these two great tracks couldnt make the cut for an album. If not LIB surely they could have slotted them into GHS or SF maybe. They did it for Start Me Up for TY. Why not these two tracks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 26, 2004 13:28

I ask the same questions mikesnaps! Jiving Sister Fanny is pure, real stones with that brilliant rythm guitar and the fantastic lead guitar by mick. I love, it's just a shame they never found the song good enough to be a part of an album.

Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: December 26, 2004 14:22

Organ also so good on JSF. And Bass (Richards methinks). Jagger putting Taylor through his paces.

I bet Richards and Jagger just couldn't believe their luck.

No auditions like in '75. Taylor only needed to turn up and play and he had the job. They never actually told him! Taken for granted. (Referring to his initial session where he did lead on HTW and rhythm on Live With Me, slide on C. Honk.)

Goin' Down another favourite from same era. Shades of BrownSugar + great percussion at end.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 26, 2004 18:44

Also was going to mention Going Down (Rocky Dijon's congas, classic riff), & I like another LIB outtake Bill's "Downtown Suzie/Lucy" which would have been a great album cut or b-side.....I assume some OD work was done on these in 1970 , at least the horns, which really (re)emerged on SF.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 24, 2009 15:06

Play this one live.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 24, 2009 15:52

.....it would be great live...better than the tepid attempt at Sway.....and easier for the Jag to hit the notes.

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: March 24, 2009 16:22

Imagine JSF on LIB instead of Country Honk. LIB is a great album, and when you listen to some of the outtakes it was definately a major period of creativity.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 24, 2009 16:49

Rockin song AND its amazing to me how many different versions there are( even though the differences are minor, I guess). BUt this is one they oughta dig out like "Start Me Up" and finish off the lyrics!

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 24, 2009 17:34

I always thought Jiving Sister Fanny was one of the coolest grooves they
ever produced--awesome energy and really captures a "live feel", no doubt
because they recorded most of it live. There's actually two versions of this tune
with slightly different lyrics (if you want to call them that, lol) and a slightly
different tempo. The Metamorhosis version is different from the one on Trident Mixes.

I used to have a boot of outakes from that era where the tape was speeded up a bit. Usually, thats annoying, but in this instance, it came out sounding really cool.

All those outtakes from '69 and '70 are some of my favorite Stones, you can really hear them playing together in the same room and it was a remarkably creative period.

I agree, how they never found the room for JSF or Going Down or Traveling Man (Well, MT wrote that one, so we can guess what happened there, lol--same for Downtown Suzie, which I believe is Bill's song.)

Date: March 25, 2009 03:35

mikesnaps
JSF & I Dont Know Why I Love You from MM are two of my favourite tracks. The rhythm & lead playing from Keith & Mick T. is out of this world.
I guess they are outtakes in that they werent considered strong enough material to be released on a studio album.
This just shows the staggering quality of material they were recording if these two great tracks couldnt make the cut for an album. If not LIB surely they could have slotted them into GHS or SF maybe. They did it for Start Me Up for TY. Why not these two tracks.

I totally agree..I always loved Metamorphosis,

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 25, 2009 04:20

I always loved those Metamorph Rockers JS Fanny, Don't know why I love you and Going down with that great conga & horns ending.

Jiving Sister Fanny is a real good live tune with some nice drumming.
Used to play it with my band.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 25, 2009 06:32

waiting for beast to weigh in on this one

p

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 25, 2009 06:35

It goes fantastically on a revamped running order of Let It Bleed too.

Not sure about this and can't recall but the version on The London Years and Metamorphosis - same one?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 25, 2009 11:26

Highly recommended: Izzy Stradlin covered it on his Buried Alive live album (also Little Red Rooster included). On his studio album IS & The Ju-Ju Hounds he did Take A Look At The Guy (with Ronnie on guitar and vocals too; Ian McLagan is on various songs of the record).

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: March 25, 2009 12:42

I'd never heard that Travelling Man was a Taylor song. True?

Isn't it Keith who plays lead on I Don't Know Why?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 25, 2009 15:07

I like Jiving Sister Fanny, yet I do not feel it would fir the overall vibe of the Let It Bleed album. I have always thought of the album as being fairly dark and dangerous: Jiving Sister Fanny is a little too sprightly and happy.

I'm Going Down could have made an OK b-side.

Date: March 25, 2009 17:42

JSF or IGD as contenders for B-side to HT Woman.
Instead - they used an album track.

Perhaps they were keeping JSF and IGD as possibles for the next album?

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 25, 2009 17:44

Very much like the Faces if you ask me. Not sure whether the song predated their formation or not.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 25, 2009 17:49

Wouldn't this be a great opening tune when and if Mick Taylor is ever invited to sit-in with the Stones again!!!! tell me the crowd wouldn't go nuts over
that one...

MLC

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 25, 2009 18:11

IMO, Jiving Sister Fanny and Going Down are strongly boosted by the fact that they are outtakes. As such, they provided fresh fodder for a hungry fan's ears and as such they succeeded impressively well. But if "Going Down" would really have been a B-side many observers would've called it a cheat (lousy run-through version of a potentially promising idea or something along these lines). And with Jiving Sister Fanny (which is great fun indeed), I second Big Als impression that it doesn't really fit the mood of the album (and arguably not it's high standard, too). It's just a funny session idea with a nice swaggering groove, that's all...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-25 18:27 by Greenblues.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 25, 2009 21:28

"JSF" is a great cut, but it doesn't seem like a finished song compared to the tracks on Let It Bleed. It shows that they could write swaggery rockers whenever they wanted to, but were more interested in going in new directions... until Some Girls.

Date: March 25, 2009 21:30

Greenblues
IMO, Jiving Sister Fanny and Going Down are strongly boosted by the fact that they are outtakes. As such, they provided fresh fodder for a hungry fan's ears and as such they succeeded impressively well. But if "Going Down" would really have been a B-side many observers would've called it a cheat (lousy run-through version of a potentially promising idea or something along these lines). And with Jiving Sister Fanny (which is great fun indeed), I second Big Als impression that it doesn't really fit the mood of the album (and arguably not it's high standard, too). It's just a funny session idea with a nice swaggering groove, that's all...

Many sixties b-sides weren't fully worked songs - bonus tracks that wouldn't be quite up to album standards.
Neither right for LIB - but perhaps with fuller treatment right for the nextalbum (after LIcool smiley is what I meant.

JSF "It's just a funny session idea with a nice swaggering groove, that's all ...."

well then, if that's the case, then so are: Rough Justice, Oh No NYA, in fact most of ABB, most of Voodoo Lounge - and lots of Bridges .... etc. etc.

Going Down is pretty complete and stronger than most (if not all) post eighties material.

They don't make out-takes like that any more!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-26 01:57 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 26, 2009 01:29

I've always thought that IGD was sort of a working version of Brown Sugar its very similiar and it has Jagger kind of mumbling like he does when he does not have the lyrics finished. I am in total agreemnet that JSF is one of their coolest tunes ever.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 26, 2009 01:51

Four Stone Walls

JSF "It's just a funny session idea with a nice swaggering groove, that's all ...."

well thaen that's the case with Rough Justice, Oh No NYA, in fact most of ABB, most of Voodoo Lounge - and lots of Bridges .... etc. etc.

correct. In other words, B-side material, unfortunately on the "A"-side.

Date: March 26, 2009 02:05

I'm now wondering, infact, if HTW is the first single to have an album track as its b-side

(talking about UK releases here)

And Brown Sugar - the first time their hit single also appeared as an album track? (UK)

So, should JSF have opened on SF?! (And Travelling Man as B-side to BS!)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2009 02:10

Not Fade Away/Little By Little - 1964

ROCKMAN

Date: March 26, 2009 02:52

Little By Little - not a UK album track (or is memory getting that bad?). B-sde only there, I think.

An album track elsewhere?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2009 03:02

Little By Little track 6 - A-side UK & US

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home