Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Paul D'Amato "Dr. Hook"
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: February 22, 2024 09:38

The Hollywood Reporter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-22 10:14 by snoopy2.

Re: OT: RIP Paul D'Amato "Dr. Hook"
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 22, 2024 10:20

"Dunlop, you suck c*ck!"

I just love Slap Shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-22 10:24 by Topi.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 22, 2024 14:41

RIP

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: February 22, 2024 20:58

Topi, love it as well, great dialogue. Here's a brief Q&A I did with him years ago, he was a good friend.
Bleacher Report

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 22, 2024 21:02

snoopy2
Topi, love it as well, great dialogue. Here's a brief Q&A I did with him years ago, he was a good friend.
Bleacher Report

Sorry for your loss, snoopy.
But great interview.
I grew up on pond hockey here in Rhode Island, but I was a terrible skater. That didn't stop me from being a huge fan of Slap Shop.
RIP Dr. Hook

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 23, 2024 06:36

Speaking of skating, Al Pacino reportedly wanted the lead role in the movie, but he couldn't skate to save his life. Paul Newman could, and was casted as Reg Dunlop.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 23, 2024 07:28

When I saw the headline I thought it was about a member of the band Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, which got itself on the cover of the Rolling Stone by recording a song called exactly that!

It's Dr. Hook in Slap Shot! What a classic. My friends and I saw it at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood when it opened in '77, and we laughed so hard that I have this vivid memory of my sides aching the entire drive home.

But it really wasn't a big hit when it was first released. Compared to other studio films it was just too coarse, too over the top. The Paul Newman audience had different expectations of what they wanted him to do/say. But over time with steady exposure on cable and home video it's gained in popularity.

And almost 50 years later, my friends and I are still quoting lines from it, like "Old-time hockey!" to each other.

Thanks, "Dr. Hook." Rest in Peace.

Posted by: LoveInVain69 ()
Date: February 23, 2024 14:02

Interesting that he worked as a ski boot fitter in a resort in later years. I used to live somewhere lovelty in the Pacific Northwest and a ton of mid-ranking actors lived there, working at second jobs. You'd be surprised: for instance, one of the local physios appeared in Slap Shot (I think she kept it quiet because it was the shower scene) while one of the local realtors won an Oscar for special effects on the film version of Yann Martel's first novel. There was a common thread in their tales, which was that Hollywood is great while you're in work, and terrible when you are not.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 23, 2024 16:54

loog droog
When I saw the headline I thought it was about a member of the band Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, which got itself on the cover of the Rolling Stone by recording a song called exactly that!

It's Dr. Hook in Slap Shot! What a classic. My friends and I saw it at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood when it opened in '77, and we laughed so hard that I have this vivid memory of my sides aching the entire drive home.

But it really wasn't a big hit when it was first released. Compared to other studio films it was just too coarse, too over the top. The Paul Newman audience had different expectations of what they wanted him to do/say. But over time with steady exposure on cable and home video it's gained in popularity.

And almost 50 years later, my friends and I are still quoting lines from it, like "Old-time hockey!" to each other.

Thanks, "Dr. Hook." Rest in Peace.

Toe Blake, Dit Clapper, Eddie Shore!

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 25, 2024 21:29

I always thought Dr Hook & Medicine show were from Vancouver.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 25, 2024 21:29

I always thought Dr Hook & Medicine show were from Vancouver.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home