Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: single WORST Stones song EVER!
Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: November 9, 2012 14:59

Glam Descendant
Glammy
Almost anything off the 80s albums is unlistenable.

"Glammy"? Are You My Mother?

Yes. Behave.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 9, 2012 15:36

More Hot Rocks
arthritis
Every new song written after 1995.

Is that when you lost you hearing?

What?

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 12, 2012 07:00

This is FASCINATING!!!! I love reading all this, and as the result, I am inspired to list my "bottom-10" Stones' songs of all time and some brief commentary:

1. Anyway You Look At It - just positively horrible by any band anywhere. Drags along and perhaps the absolute worst Mick "ballad" ever forced upon the Stones. They ought to be ashamed!

2. Back to Zero - Chuck's crowning achievement - a writing credit with the Stones! Might this have been indicative of that to come? And I like Dirty Work a lot more than Bridges and Steel Wheels, but this one is in a class by itself!

3. Indian Girl - always a horror show of formulaic cheese....what was Mick wanting to write a song like this for, and why didn't Keith call "bs"? Really scary foreshadowing of bad bad bad bad Mick ballads to come!

4. Anybody Seen My Baby? - THE worst Stones single of all time! Mick's pitiful attempt at being 1997 relevant actually sounds about 8 years too late and even then, this thing is so BORING. How in Hades could he think that anyone would want to hear this crap from the Stones? Is Mick that out of touch? I never thought the Stones would stoop to putting out second-rate R&B-funk with a tinge of rap, and "I don't like it, like it, no I don't!" If this isn't bad enough, they friggin stole half of it from KD Lang and thus, had to give her credit. Sorry, KD, though I guess the money is a good salve on the wound! And, Charlie Watts, you're wrong - this is NOT good!

5. Losing My Touch/Keys to Your Heart/Don't Stop are all grouped together for their collective indicia of a nadir seldom seen among this band's work. While there have been very poor LPs (Bridges and Steel Wheels come to mind), even they have some excellent songs on them. However, the lameness of the band's new LICKS offerings is only absent on Stealing My Heart, and even that escapes by the barest of margins.

6. Terrifying/Almost Hear You Sigh/Hearts for Sale/Blinded By Love/Break the Spell - SURPRISE! 1/2 of Steel Wheels is an insult to the band's prior catalog due to its contrived and slapdash composition. Clearly, the Stones had so little in the can after the first of the public feuds b/t the Glimmers until the bottom of the barrel is splashed all over this record! I KNOW it's 5 songs at once, but it's like one HUGE spoonful of schlock complete with studio tan production! UGH!

7. I Got the Blues - REALLY, I am serious. Tribute, my ass! This is the Stones' attempt to write a Stax-tribute, and it drags along and it's hard to say what is worse, Mick's forced and wavering vocals or the horns that just will not go away! YES, I skip this song every time I play the record. NO, I did not upload it into iTunes with the rest of the record, and I am soooooooo happy I did not!

8. Gomper/The Lantern - As Jon Landau wrote in Rolling Stone when Satanic came out - it would've made an INCREDIBLE EP. However, when the grand experiment falls on its ass, it REALLY falls. Come on, guys! Carry the lantern higher than this wavering, listless crap!

9. If You Let Me - no, the pre-psychedelic period is not immune from scheis, and this track is about as bad as it gets from the period. Here, the Stones are doing their best Kinks imitation! Oh, the Joy! Runner up from this era - "Surprise, Surprise" - blah!

10. If You Really Want to Be My Friend - see I Got the Blues and mix it with Anybody Seen My Baby? The Stones go Gamble & Huff, and Gamble & Huff go "puke!" at this really contrived effort. Boring, in a word, and it's NOT only rock and roll.

BONUS - Worst Original LP -[/color] (you guessed it!) Steel Wheels. Many other groups would've given their eye teeth to have an LP this good, but given that we are dealing with the Stones, one has to find bottom somewhere. When asked about Abbey Road having been recorded while the fighting was escalating b/t him and Paul, John Lennon said, "We put out something slick to preserve the myth." Well, Steels Wheels is the Stones' attempt to put out something to revive the machine and tour the world behind. Only problem is that they only had a short EP's worth of songs to "say." After Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad, Slipping Away, and Continental Drift, this rekkid gets REAL shallow REAL quick.

BONUS #2 - Worst cover song -[/color] My Girl - so many from which to choose such as I've Been Loving You Too Long, Love In Vain (yes, THAT one!), You Better Move On, Love Train, You Can Make It if You Try, and let us not forget that stellar gem, The Nearness of You, but My Girl sinks below all to land on the ocean floor with the whale crap. C'mon, did anyone really think that this was a good version?

There you have it, and thanks so much to everyone for sharing!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-17 21:32 by stonesstein.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 12, 2012 07:08

Red text is worse than any Stones song EVER!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 12, 2012 09:33

I love about 90% of those.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 12, 2012 09:40

Good advice:

Date: November 17, 2012 04:47

At least we can rest that none of these "worst" trax will be played at these 2012 shows.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 17, 2012 04:56

Red text guy: please describe in great detail why you don't like almost hear you sigh. Thanks.

Posted by: Rocket88 ()
Date: November 17, 2012 05:59

Keys to your love

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 17, 2012 14:56

Many of you have given me pain by making me read your negative choices.confused smiley I can't believe many of them. A couple I can understand, but all the same I do disagree.

Now it's my turn to provoke one or two of you with mine:

"Melody" (because of some of the singing on it)
"Tops"

There is no other worst song than these, I think. In my own secluded world I am the one with the good taste, of course. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Sometimes it feels kind of lonesome here. moody smiley

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 17, 2012 15:00

i'm struggling to see past Streets Of Horseshit

Date: November 17, 2012 15:12

Undercover of the Night

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 17, 2012 15:28

its good to be anywhere
Undercover of the Night

Stop the insanity

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 17, 2012 15:36

little indian girl

Date: November 17, 2012 15:39

Glam Descendant
Red text is worse than any Stones song EVER!

Especially red text without Streets Of Love and Rock And A Hard Place for being among the worst Stones songs ever!

FAIL!

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 17, 2012 17:03

Well there so many too many to mention really.
Too many crap songs to justify still demanding such high prices for live tickets certainly.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 17, 2012 17:23

adotulipson
Too many crap songs to justify still demanding such high prices for live tickets certainly.

What if they agree, in writing, not to play any of those songs?

Just the good ones?

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: November 17, 2012 17:40

Wrongly worded title - no such thing as a 'worst' Stones song - just not possible!!

A least favourite possibly...

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 17, 2012 18:23

treaclefingers
adotulipson

What if they agree, in writing, not to play any of those songs?

Just the good ones?

well it would have been better if they had NEVER played some songs never mind having the audasity to record and release them

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 17, 2012 18:43

YO...RED MAN aka stonesstein -
HELP how could you put I Got the Blues on your list?? I love it. In fact I love every song on Sticky, LIB, Exile, and Beggar's...I just can't get my head around your "hating" on IGTB. smoking smiley

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: November 17, 2012 18:46

"Sex Drive".

Date: November 17, 2012 21:53

Red text comments noted and changes made.

Almost Hear You Sigh to me sounds like melba-toast meets velveeta cheese product bland Stones MOR adult soft rock. To paraphrase Greil Marcus re Dylan - I will not buy an album of the Stones breathing softly. To me, all of these Steel Wheels songs are just that - bland Stones MOR adult soft rock. They are very boring and all too contrived for my taste.

Someone mentioned Rock and A Hard Place - at least there is a pretty decent riff to this song. No, I cannot stand the forced lyrics that sound as if Mick wrote them in 5 minutes while watching the Today Show. But, at least there are some redeeming licks within the record to keep it within the realm of tolerable.

Many mention Streets of Love - this should have been on the list, as it belongs right with the Steel Wheels songs discussed above. Really bad, and OF COURSE Mick chooses it for a single.

Finally, to memphiscats - I suppose you'd go balistic were I to tell you that I do not like the band's version of Love In Vain, either. I Got the Blues is just a drag to me, because the horns waver and drag, and the vocals are just so "forced" sounding. I've tried, for over 37 years since I first bought the LP, to get into the song, but it's really crap and an abomination to the rest of the LP.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:07

stonesstein
Red text comments noted and changes made.

Almost Hear You Sigh to me sounds like melba-toast meets velveeta cheese product bland Stones MOR adult soft rock. To paraphrase Greil Marcus re Dylan - I will not buy an album of the Stones breathing softly. To me, all of these Steel Wheels songs are just that - bland Stones MOR adult soft rock. They are very boring and all too contrived for my taste.

Someone mentioned Rock and A Hard Place - at least there is a pretty decent riff to this song. No, I cannot stand the forced lyrics that sound as if Mick wrote them in 5 minutes while watching the Today Show. But, at least there are some redeeming licks within the record to keep it within the realm of tolerable.

Many mention Streets of Love - this should have been on the list, as it belongs right with the Steel Wheels songs discussed above. Really bad, and OF COURSE Mick chooses it for a single.

Finally, to memphiscats - I suppose you'd go balistic were I to tell you that I do not like the band's version of Love In Vain, either. I Got the Blues is just a drag to me, because the horns waver and drag, and the vocals are just so "forced" sounding. I've tried, for over 37 years since I first bought the LP, to get into the song, but it's really crap and an abomination to the rest of the LP.

I disagree with selections with exception of Streets of Love. Simply horrible. However, I like Rock and Hard Place because I like the depiction of the degredation of the inconsiderate bastards that continue to throw trash out in what should be a beautful America. I say any American littering our landscape should be prosecuted and pay at least a Five Hundred Fine. What is wrong with those bastards?

Love in Vain in is a classic - referring to Get Ye yaYas Out version. "I got the Blues is also a gem - just My opinion -

Thanks for a great write-up!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:25

Wow, lots of contenders! But in 50 years, they should have some clunkers.

Indian Girl, Winning Ugly and Fight have always fought for #1 in my book (that's excluding Under The Boardwalk, which was just a misguided cover and not an actual Jagger/Richards song)

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:27

Elmo Lewis
Have y'all forgotten "Cherry Oh Baby"?

WHAAAT !! - it's one of the best reggae songs they have ever done !!!
- I love it !!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:31

Start ME Up

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 17, 2012 22:50

Heaven

Date: November 17, 2012 23:49

seitan
Elmo Lewis
Have y'all forgotten "Cherry Oh Baby"?

WHAAAT !! - it's one of the best reggae songs they have ever done !!!
- I love it !!!
OK stonesstein - beauty is in the ear of the listener or something like that - to each his own. I appreciate the time you took to create your song reviews.

Cheers,smoking smiley

p.s. YES I LOVE Cherry Oh Baby too!!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 17, 2012 23:53

Yeah, I like Cherry Oh Baby as well. It's not on my short or long list of favorite Stones songs, but I dig it.

Date: November 18, 2012 00:00

You've got good taste NoCode. Agreed - definitely not on my top 50 but a fun song. And most certainly not a contender for "worst Stones song EVER!"smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home