Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Anyone Seen The Who's 2012 Tour?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 31, 2012 14:43

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 16:12 by tatters.

Re: OT: Who Tour Starts Tomorrow; Sneak Peak Of New Stage
Date: October 31, 2012 14:46

Kinda looks a little like the setup Pink Floyd used in the 70s with the big round screen.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 14:46 by tatters.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 31, 2012 18:33

Can't wait...seeing them next January. First time to see The Who.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 31, 2012 18:47

Didn't they do their farewell tour in 1982 ?

Date: October 31, 2012 18:51

Ouch, $675 each for signature VIP tickets (at MSG) and you must by a pair.Does include the sound check though and some other questionable swag.

Posted by: tommyquinn ()
Date: November 1, 2012 04:55

Go on to StubHub, the tickets are MUCH cheaper, many way under face value, especially in Boston at the Banknorth Garden. Tickets as low as $40.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 1, 2012 05:03

Be patient, as they realize that the VIP type seating/packages are not selling, they will release them at face price or switch them to the Ticketmaster Platinum Seats at a lower price. No swag, but much cheaper.

Pittsburgh they have relased a good part of the first 5 rows floor over the past 3 weeks in the $149 - $275 range. Better than $600

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 1, 2012 05:49

gotdablouse

Correct. Pete Townshend wanted to put an end to The Who as early as 1973, but finally dissolved the band in 1983 after an aborted attempt to fulfill their remaining record contract obligation with Warner Bros. with a concept album to have been called Siege.

It would have remained that way [Pete now admits that he didn't need them] had it not been for the continuing extravagant lifestyle of John Entwistle. The 1989 tour was really just to help pull Entwistle out of debt. Ditto for the 1996/1997 tour and the 1999/2000 tour. Finally, Pete realized along the way that he would resolve to just celebrate the legacy, the old songs, since he felt that as a songwriter he would never be able to surpass them. He learned to appreciate The Who's place in rock history and his own place within The Who, especially since Entwistle died. Thus he has put most of his remaining creative energy toward that end, becoming even more proficient and active as a guitar player onstage to fill the gaps left by the absence of Entwistle. Pete now says that he enjoys being onstage in The Who more so now than when Entwistle was around [because of the way he has improved as a guitarist]--though he admits that it is a different band now.

Posted by: arthritis ()
Date: November 1, 2012 06:22

Roger sounds like he's gargling now when he sings. thumbs up

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 07:52

Wrong. Since his throat surgery he sounds fantastic.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 19:00

the who havent really been an active band since the early 70,s with the exception of a new studio album in 1981, and a couple of tours.

unlike the stones who have made over 200 songs since the early 70,s.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 19:15

buttons67
the who havent really been an active band since the early 70,s with the exception of a new studio album in 1981, and a couple of tours.

unlike the stones who have made over 200 songs since the early 70,s.

Didn't they release Endless Wire in 2006?

I am not much of a fan of either band's post-1980 output. Tattoo You being an exception, but much of that was recorded earlier.

I'm not sure, in either case, that volume of output in an indicator of much, esp if the quality of that output is not great. Do you give a band points for trying, or points off for trying and being mediocre? I'm not sure.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: November 1, 2012 19:43

Endless Wire is a fine album

John Nicholls

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: November 1, 2012 19:45

It's 1/2 of the Who!!!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 1, 2012 20:07

njlstones815
It's 1/2 of the Who!!!

Well, by that standard, The Stones aren't much more (3 of 5 original members = 60%).

Date: November 3, 2012 01:04

Date: November 3, 2012 01:05

The Who kicked off their ‘Quadrophenia and More’ tour at a packed out BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida last night in true Who style.

They gave a stunning performance of Quadrophenia, with some great musical moments, including blistering guitar solos by Pete Townshend, and visuals and staging directed by Roger Daltrey. The central idea behind Roger’s concept was to go back to its original idea. Jimmy, the central character’ was a character with four personalities, each loosely based on the four original band members of The Who – Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend (the surviving members) and Keith Moon and John Entwistle (sadly departed).

The visuals reflected the history of the band and the context of that history. It was as if the Roger and Pete of now are looking back, with the audience, at The Who of yesteryear.

At two key points, famous performances by John Entwistle and Keith Moon were worked into the visuals, to the delight of the audience.

The audience were less delighted, however, when Pete Townshend walked offstage towards the end of the second half of the performance and didn’t come back. This was due to sound problems, which rendered the volume levels too high, but which will be sorted out for the next shows.

(It wouldn’t be a Who tour if there wasn’t some drama. And hats off to support act Vintage Trouble. What a warm up set. Don’t miss them! – Ed. the who.com)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 3, 2012 01:24

Too loud for him or for the audience? I remember reading he said his hearing had been damaged by years of amplified music?

stonesnow
gotdablouse

Correct. Pete Townshend wanted to put an end to The Who as early as 1973, but finally dissolved the band in 1983 after an aborted attempt to fulfill their remaining record contract obligation with Warner Bros. with a concept album to have been called Siege.

It would have remained that way [Pete now admits that he didn't need them] had it not been for the continuing extravagant lifestyle of John Entwistle. The 1989 tour was really just to help pull Entwistle out of debt. Ditto for the 1996/1997 tour and the 1999/2000 tour. Finally, Pete realized along the way that he would resolve to just celebrate the legacy, the old songs, since he felt that as a songwriter he would never be able to surpass them. He learned to appreciate The Who's place in rock history and his own place within The Who, especially since Entwistle died. Thus he has put most of his remaining creative energy toward that end, becoming even more proficient and active as a guitar player onstage to fill the gaps left by the absence of Entwistle. Pete now says that he enjoys being onstage in The Who more so now than when Entwistle was around [because of the way he has improved as a guitarist]--though he admits that it is a different band now.
Thanks for that detailed write-up, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek but I guess I have a better understanding of the process now. I recently read an interview by Bill Szymczyk where he recalled the recording process of "Face Dances" and there was a terrible atmosphere apparently. I was sifting through old magazines and came across a Jagger interview for the release of the LSTNT movie and he was asked about the Who farewell and said they'd probably still be touring in ten years time (a time span that always seems very far away)...and here we are 30 years later, both bands still active.

Re: OT: The Who's Opening Night Concert Too Loud; Townshend Walks Off And Refuses To Return
Date: November 3, 2012 01:31

Re: OT: The Who's Opening Night Concert Too Loud; Townshend Walks Off And Refuses To Return
Date: November 3, 2012 01:47

BROWARD COUNTY - Pete Townshend, legendary guitarist for the English rock band, The Who, walked off stage during the band's encore Thursday in Sunrise, Florida. It was the opening night for their first tour in four years.
Townshend's departure during the song, You Better You Bet, left singer Roger Daltrey and the rest of the band wondering what happened to the 67-year-old who has battled hearing problems for the last 20 years. Townshend appeared to be complaining about the sound monitors on stage. He yelled they were "too loud," before walking off stage without telling his band mates what the problem was.
Townshend has had some hearing loss over the years and suffers from tinnitus.
His brother, Simon Townshend, who also plays guitar with The Who, confirmed the problem on Twitter, posting "pete walked off tonight because it was too loud. was a good show but had some technical problems."
Simon Townshend added that it was a "great gig though."
The band waited a short time, then continued with one more song, Baba O' Riley, before calling it a night. Townshend never came back out.
The band opened the 36-city tour by playing all of the 1973 album, Quadrophenia. The encore included popular Who songs, Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes and Who Are You.
The show also featured appearances by departed band members, drummer Keith Moon and bassist John Entwistle.
Video of an Entwistle bass solo was shown during 5:15. Video of Moon singing his part of the song Bell Boy was also used. Entwistle died in 2002, Moon in 1978.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 3, 2012 01:57

And this is the guitarist whose band once made the Guinness Book of World Records for loudest volume in concert, whose recording space for Quadrophenia had a maximum playback volume of 138 db? You know what they say, "If it it's too loud, then you're too".... oh, nevermind. At least he didn't die before he got old.

It's not like he walked off mid-way through the set, it was during the second to last song or something, so the audience got what it came for anyway. I wouldn't have felt short-changed. Would've been nice though if he could have returned to the stage just to smash a guitar in frustration, that way it could've ended with a bang, rather than a putter.

Date: November 3, 2012 01:59

stonehearted
And this is the guitarist whose band once made the Guinness Book of World Records for loudest volume in concert, whose recording space for Quadrophenia had a maximum playback volume of 138 db? You know what they say, "If it it's too loud, then you're too".... oh, nevermind. At least he didn't die before he got old.

It's not like he walked off mid-way through the set, it was during the second to last song or something, so the audience got what it came for anyway. I wouldn't have felt short-changed. Would've been nice though if he could have returned to the stage just to smash a guitar in frustration, that way it could've ended with a bang, rather than a putter.

He walked off during the fourth song of the encore, but we don't know how many songs they would have played if he hadn't walked off.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 3, 2012 02:10

That is so weak! Walking off stage at your own show because the sound is too loud - AT YOUR OWN SHOW!

Couldn't tough it out for 2 encores? If that's Pete's attitude then this tour should've never happenned.

Daltry is at least trying. Have heard his voice is much better since the surgery. Saw him do a solo show about 3 years ago and the show was miserable. Yoko Daltry. Again, supposedly though the voice is some better now.

I would hate like **** to think I paid $600.00 USD for a ticket and Townsend walked off the stage during the encores and never came back.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 3, 2012 02:21

Gosh - I hope that's not the end of the whole tour. Reminds me of when Pete very suddenly rushed off the stage a few years ago at Indigo 2 after the first few bars of about the second song in. Everyone was stunned speechless, wondering what was going on and whether that was it, then he ran back on after about five minutes and launched straight into the song again. He said it was some hearing problem but he'd sorted it out and didn't seem to be troubled by it again that night. But after that I wasn't surprised to hear later talk that the Who would never tour again because of his hearing.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 02:28

Let's let this play out before slamming Pete or the band too hard.

I will simply give him the benefit of the doubt until I'm convinced he doesn't deserve it. Nothing posted yet diminishes my respect for Pete, for the Who, or for their current tour. So...for now:

Nothing to see here! Let's not be alarmist!

This is actually typical Who mayhem/bizarreness. It'll work itself out...I think, and hope....

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: November 3, 2012 04:03

Possibly the first time ever that a musician has complained that his monitor was "too loud."

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 3, 2012 04:31

He must have gone looking for some ear plugs, but couldn't find any, so he didn't return.

Date: November 3, 2012 05:13

tatters

Video of an Entwistle bass solo was shown during 5:15. Video of Moon singing his part of the song Bell Boy was also used.

I'm curious about this. Did they actually blend the audio from these videotaped performances into the live mix, or did they just, for example, show a video of John while Pino Palladino played a bass solo?

Re: OT: The Who's Opening Night Concert "Too Loud" (Townshend Walks Off And Refuses To Return)
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 3, 2012 06:42

>Let's let this play out before slamming Pete or the band too hard.

Well, IT'S HARD.

(that's what she said...)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 3, 2012 07:16

stonehearted

Well, some understanding might be in order here. First, they completed pretty much the entire show! And he left during the fourth encore. Pete suffers from severe tinitus, and I am sure he was giving clear instructions about his monitor, and they probably were not fixing it so rather than incur worse ear damage, he did what any sane person would do, he left!

Pete is playing excellent guitar in his later years. And Daltry's throat surgery has healed his voice. Give the guy a break.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home