Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Star Wars Episode VII - 2015
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 31, 2012 05:07

George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to the Walt Disney Corporation for a little over 4 billion dollars, and at the same time announced that Episode VII (which George has been saying would never be made for over 15 years) will be released in probably 2015 with two more to follow, completing the third trilogy. George's role is going to be substantially less involved than in previous installments, as his role is simply Creative Consultant, though I imagine he will have a hand in the writing.

Disney Aquires Lucasfilm

Not sure how I feel about it. I wasn't crazy about the prequels, but they were alright. Most of what was wrong with it was George's doing, so getting some fresh bodies in there might make it better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 05:18 by NoCode0680.

Re: OT: Star Wars Episode VII - 2015
Date: October 31, 2012 05:34

I heard about this, Disney wanting to make Star Wars 7. HORRIBLE.

Date: October 31, 2012 05:41

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Don't you think you should wait until you've seen it? All they've done is announce it, and you've already made up your mind.

The Disney angle is something people are focusing on, but they just own Lucasfilm. Much the same way Disney owns many things. Disney owns Marvel Studios, and Mickey Mouse didn't show up in The Avengers.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 31, 2012 06:22

I doooont liiiikeee itttt.... the ploooott is sssssssoooooooo dumb, and the charactors are ssoooooo 1995.... whhiiiiiiiine dooooooo theeeeey haaaaaave tooooo maaaakeee mooooooree Staaaaaaaarrrrr Waaaaaaarzzzzzz???? whhyyyyyyyy????.... theeeeyy wiillll beeeeeees sssooooooooo hooooooooorrible.... oooohhhh wwwwwhiiineneee!!! whiiiiiinnne.

not to IORR whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine about it or anything winking smiley

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 31, 2012 07:34

He'll just ruin it more. The prequel-trilogy is beyond horrible, and I can never again watch the original trilogy because of the three new ones. If he makes a new trilogy I'm switching to Star Trek.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 31, 2012 07:52

But I think it could be very good! Actually, the films where Lucas was deeply involved with were not that great. He cannot write dialog! NADA! Empire Strikes back was the best of the original, because he used a different director and writer. So the Disney films could be good! It would be interesting to see where they would go after Return of the Jedi.

Date: October 31, 2012 07:54

JumpingKentFlash
He'll just ruin it more. The prequel-trilogy is beyond horrible, and I can never again watch the original trilogy because of the three new ones. If he makes a new trilogy I'm switching to Star Trek.

Well, then it will be the first time a "Creative Consultant" managed to destroy an entire film trilogy.

Date: October 31, 2012 07:59

whitem8
But I think it could be very good! Actually, the films where Lucas was deeply involved with were not that great. He cannot write dialog! NADA! Empire Strikes back was the best of the original, because he used a different director and writer. So the Disney films could be good! It would be interesting to see where they would go after Return of the Jedi.

Exactly. Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford have had no problem over the years saying that George was a bad director. Especially from an actors standpoint. You ever wonder why so many fantastic actors turned in such awkward performances in those prequels? Because George could have cared less about their performances as long as they were standing in the right spot in front of the green screen.

And yes Empire is fantastic because Irwin Kershner is an actors director (and actors love him) and he gets great performances and cares about the human element of a story as opposed to how many dewbacks he can cram into a shot. Unfortunately Kersh is dead.

I still dream of him coming back to life and riding in on a Tauntaun to direct these new films.

"I'm Back Bitches"

Date: October 31, 2012 08:01

Great post nocode! Love the pics!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 31, 2012 08:02

Strange that he's only directed six films, four of them in the SW saga.
I know that he's had his input in a few others and the SW and Lucas empire take up most of his time, but only six films.

Date: October 31, 2012 08:20

whitem8
Great post nocode! Love the pics!

Thanks, here's some other good Kersh pics I've seen on the net. Notice how much the actors seem to love him. The same can't be said about George. I think Kersh kept a fun set.

Date: October 31, 2012 09:10

Yeah you are so right, he was an actor's director and was able to make an emotional connection that drew a more emotive performance. And you are also spot on about Lucas only caring about how the special effects looked. Which was also a major gripe. I felt the over reliance on CGI created comic book looking films with very little emotion or soul. And the Star Wars Universe was not congruent with the look in the older films with a lot more creatures and everything too amped up. I didn't mind the last one, Revenge of the Sith, probably my favorite of the three. And there were parts on the other two that were very good. But man, the dialog was crap in all three! And the acting barely could be called cardboard.

Date: October 31, 2012 09:30

Yeah, I don't totally hate the prequels (the first one was the only one I left the theater not liking) but they did seem to have very little soul and a whole lot of flash.

I think what makes Empire so great, and something Kershner was directly responsible for, was just the right amount of comedy. The running gag of the hyperdrive not working and "It's not my fault" was great. I would say 90% of the character development from the original series came from that movie alone as well. Everybody seemed more human. And that is exactly why George wanted him for the film. Part of that goes to Kasdan and Brackett's screenplay as well, but Kershner came up with a lot of it.

George had a vision, and is a very imaginative man, but he has never really figured out how to execute it very well. You have to hand it to him making the Kershner call, it was a strange one, even Kershner thought so, but it worked.

It's just too bad that George can't leave those original films alone. Inserting Hayden into RotJ was insane. I'm so glad I bought that DVD set back around '08 or so that had the original untouched films in them (but it had the latest "improved" version as well) because the changes that were at first minor when he first tampered with them, have really gotten out of hand.

By the way, have you seen that "Star Wars: Empire Of Dreams" documentary? If not, check out this video, it is Stones related and kind of funny. Go to about 2:03 into the video.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: October 31, 2012 09:57

Ah Ah,

I remember seeing this documentary and thinking: They are the greatest Band in the World!!!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 31, 2012 11:34

Lucas should ahve sold the rights to NYC director Shaun Costello. This guy could make 3 SW movies a year...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 31, 2012 12:36

Episodes VI, V & VI are great (the first ones).

The prequels suck big time.

There are some great reviews by Red Letter Media of the prequels.

Warning - they are absolutely NOT safe for work but are very funny.

[redlettermedia.com]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 31, 2012 15:15

NoCode0680
George Lucas sold Lucasfilm to the Walt Disney Corporation for a little over 4 billion dollars, and at the same time announced that Episode VII (which George has been saying would never be made for over 15 years) will be released in probably 2015 with two more to follow, completing the third trilogy. George's role is going to be substantially less involved than in previous installments, as his role is simply Creative Consultant, though I imagine he will have a hand in the writing.

Disney Aquires Lucasfilm

Not sure how I feel about it. I wasn't crazy about the prequels, but they were alright. Most of what was wrong with it was George's doing, so getting some fresh bodies in there might make it better.

Good news about more SW films! Disney has the resources and talent to take these films forward. It's quite ironic that the constant prattling and pedantic criticism levelled at Lucas by fanatic OCD SW obsessives has played a big part in his decision not to make any more SW films.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 31, 2012 16:05

not sure how I feel about this either. Star Wars are some of my favorite movies, and I'm excited to see the other movies come to life. Unlike most people I actually like Jar-Jar and the first 2 prequels. Hated the 3rd one though. Sad to see Lucas selling all of his life's works. Makes me wonder if he's unhealthy, but I can also understand why he's doing it, since he swore he was done with Hollywood after his last movie - Red Tails was it? - was so badly flogged by the critics....

Date: October 31, 2012 16:52

NoCode0680
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Don't you think you should wait until you've seen it? All they've done is announce it, and you've already made up your mind.

The Disney angle is something people are focusing on, but they just own Lucasfilm. Much the same way Disney owns many things. Disney owns Marvel Studios, and Mickey Mouse didn't show up in The Avengers.

Did I say the movie was bad? My statement is very clear and simple but since it needs to be explained here you go - it's horrible that Disney bought the rights to Star Wars and wants to make a 7th film.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: October 31, 2012 17:04

Date: October 31, 2012 17:50

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
NoCode0680
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Did I say the movie was bad? My statement is very clear and simple but since it needs to be explained here you go - it's horrible that Disney bought the rights to Star Wars and wants to make a 7th film.

Are you always such an @#$%& to people? I only ask because this is the second post I've seen by you in three days in which you were a total dick over something very silly. By the way, my statement was very clear as well, maybe you should read it more carefully. All I'm saying is that you're making up your mind based on a press release. If the movie is good does it really matter who owns the rights? Disney owns ESPN, has that affected your enjoyment of MNF or SportsCenter?

It's not like Lucasfilm was some little mom and pop studio and Disney acquired it in a hostile takeover. It was a juggernaut and George happily sold it. Plus, after the prequels it's not like they had a perfectly intact legacy and this is going to ruin that. Many people already felt it was ruined, and that the prequels were just a cash grab.

Lucasfilm was perfectly capable of putting out horrible shit by itself. They are responsible for "Howard The Duck". People have been saying for years that somebody needs to take Star Wars away from George, now it has been. What this could also mean is that we'll finally see the original films restored, minus all the additional footage George has been adding constantly since '97. He claimed it would never happen, and has only released the originals as bonus footage on one DVD set, and it wasn't cleaned up at all, it was just an old Laserdisc conversion from the early '90's that they tacked onto the DVD set. That set is now out of print and really expensive for anybody that wants the untampered with films.

Since you're being gracious enough to explain yourself to a moron like me, maybe you can explain WHY it's horrible, instead of just saying it's horrible.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 31, 2012 17:56

Let's not forget.. George was partly responsible for the 4th Indiana Jones film which was a total pile of shite.

I mean total.

I love the first 3.

George is best kept away from stuff.

Date: October 31, 2012 18:11

NoCode0680
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
NoCode0680
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

Are you always such an @#$%& to people? I only ask because this is the second post I've seen by you in three days in which you were a total dick over something very silly. By the way, my statement was very clear as well, maybe you should read it more carefully. All I'm saying is that you're making up your mind based on a press release. If the movie is good does it really matter who owns the rights? Disney owns ESPN, has that affected your enjoyment of MNF or SportsCenter?

It's not like Lucasfilm was some little mom and pop studio and Disney acquired it in a hostile takeover. It was a juggernaut and George happily sold it. Plus, after the prequels it's not like they had a perfectly intact legacy and this is going to ruin that. Many people already felt it was ruined, and that the prequels were just a cash grab.

Lucasfilm was perfectly capable of putting out horrible shit by itself. They are responsible for "Howard The Duck". People have been saying for years that somebody needs to take Star Wars away from George, now it has been. What this could also mean is that we'll finally see the original films restored, minus all the additional footage George has been adding constantly since '97. He claimed it would never happen, and has only released the originals as bonus footage on one DVD set, and it wasn't cleaned up at all, it was just an old Laserdisc conversion from the early '90's that they tacked onto the DVD set. That set is now out of print and really expensive for anybody that wants the untampered with films.

Since you're being gracious enough to explain yourself to a moron like me, maybe you can explain WHY it's horrible, instead of just saying it's horrible.

I was being clear, nothing more. You assumed I was deaming it a shitty movie without having seen it. I was deaming it shit no matter what. I wasn't being an ass-hole, just matter of factly. I think it sucks that Disney has gobbled up one more thing. What really makes it bad is that they didn't buy it to "revamp" the Star Wars...whatever you want to call it, it was so they could really suck the life out of what Lucas did (4, 5 and 6 are the only good ones really) and I'm sure they'll bring Jar-Jar back in somehow so they can sell lots and lots of toys. It just reeks of making dollars instead of art.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 18:13 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Date: October 31, 2012 18:26

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
I was being clear, nothing more. You assumed I was deaming it a shitty movie without having seen it. I was deaming it shit no matter what. I wasn't being an @#$%&, just matter of factly. I think it sucks that Disney has gobbled up one more thing. What really makes it bad is that they didn't buy it to "revamp" the Star Wars...whatever you want to call it, it was so they could really suck the life out of what Lucas did (4, 5 and 6 are the only good ones really) and I'm sure they'll bring Jar-Jar back in somehow so they can sell lots and lots of toys. It just reeks of making dollars instead of art.

I didn't assume you were deeming it a shitty movie, I'm simply saying that if the movie is good, should it matter who owns the rights? You're making a lot of assumption, like that, and that they'll bring back Jar Jar, etc. Your position has no real concrete stance except for that you're apparently mad that a large company makes a shitload of money. Besides, nobody was more interested in selling toys than George, he would go out of his way to write scenes and invent characters for the express purpose of selling toys. George is pretty much credited with movie merchandising. It barely existed (at least not on the scale George took it to) prior to A New Hope. Which is why Fox (the distributor) couldn't understand why he was so adamant about keeping the merchandising rights, and signed it over to him gladly. So what you're mad about is something George pretty much invented.

As for "reeks of making dollars instead of art", that's what George has been about for a long time. So I don't think it will really be any worse with Disney. It's kind of a non-issue here, as it has been going on with Lucasfilm for a LONG time. George constantly going back and changing the original films (while holding the untampered films hostage) and releasing a new version every few years, getting to the point where you can't recognize them anymore.

There's not really a huge difference structurally here. Lucasfilm always used major studios to distribute their films. MGM, Paramount, Fox, etc. The films are still going to be made by Lucasfilm in house and will be distributed by Disney. The only real difference is that instead of one rich guy getting the profits, another rich guy will get the profits.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 31, 2012 19:08

Appallingly cynical money-grabbing move by George Lucas.

The franchise ran out of steam with the awful Phantom Menace. I almost walked out of the cinema and the following two movies were weak (to say the least).

It's time for Darth Vader & Co to retire - please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 19:08 by tomcat2006.

Date: October 31, 2012 19:11

tomcat2006
Appallingly cynical money-grabbing move by George Lucas.

The franchise ran out of steam with the awful Phantom Menace. I almost walked out of the cinema and the following two movies were weak (to say the least).

It's time for Darth Vader & Co to retire - please!

Or you could just not go see it.

Date: October 31, 2012 19:24

Not a fan of the Vegas era Stars Wars; the Star Wars films haven't been revelant post 1983. (Movie) ticket prices are too high, In 1977, I paid $2.25 to see Star Wars...

Date: October 31, 2012 19:27

its good to be anywhere
Not a fan of the Vegas era Stars Wars; the Star Wars films haven't been revelant post 1983. (Movie) ticket prices are too high, In 1977, I paid $2.25 to see Star Wars...

winking smiley

Not to mention all that Han Solo posing.

He hasn't been the same since he fell off the Falcon and bumped his head.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 31, 2012 19:31

I think that Disney/LucasFilms should let the real fans see the 7th episode for free.

If not, they should a least donate all of the money to charity.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 31, 2012 19:42

Pulp Fiction is a Disney film.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home