Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot: anyone know if there is more unreleased CREAM music?
Date: December 17, 2012 23:23

are there more demo's or stuff lying in a vault somewhere or at claptons house?

Re: ot: anyone know if there is more unreleased CREAM music?
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 18, 2012 00:02

Demos turned up on Those Were The Days box set.

Some Cream recorded stuff also turned up on Song For A Tailor by Jack Bruce, and on A Question of Time.

Bearing in mind Clapton barely wrote material for Cream, I doubt there'd be anything else left.

Speaking of Clapton: I wouldn't mind a second Blind Faith 2cd set, with the Hyde Park gig as an extra disc. The first 2cd set had only jams, and outtakes.

Also, bearing in mind how Clapton's reissues have included a 2cd Layla & Assorted Love Songs, his 1970 self titled album, 461 Ocean Boulevard, Slowhand, Crossroads Live In The 70s, and Disraeli Gears 2cd, there's bound to be some more good stuff in the vault.

What I would like reissued would be the following deluxes:

1. No Reason to Cry, with Carnival done by Clapton and the Stones. There's also bound to be some Shangri La sessions featuring The Band, Dylan, and Ronnie Wood.

2. Unplugged complete - we know that Circus Left Town was recorded at these sessions, and that there are other live tracks from a great album by Clapton.

3. From The Cradle - Must be some blues outtakes kicking around.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 18, 2012 00:08

has the unedited 5hr version of Toad ever surfaced ...
or is no one game ta treck ta Africa and ask Ginger ta hand it over............????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 18, 2012 00:11

Not unless you want a broken nose from Ginger.

I've just seen the trailer to Beware of Mr Baker: he'd challenge Jerry Lee for being the rock world's biggest nutter.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 18, 2012 00:35

I have a bootleg version of Fresh Cream called Fresh Outtakes that has 19 tracks including alternate or acetate versions from the album as well as the single Wrapping Paper. Along with 2 versions apiece of Cat's Squirrel and Sweet Wine and 4 of I Feel Free there are also 3 outtakes from the Fresh Cream Sessions:

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 18, 2012 01:02

Someone who actually likes Clapton may know better than me, but i think there is little left of Cream to surface outside of any concert tapes that were recorded surreptitiously but not yet circulated. I assume you have the boots that are already floating around "out there".
I think much of any outtakes went up in the Atlantic Tape library fire. Not much of a loss when you think who else had been on Atlantic (Coltrane for starters) .
I think the disraeli-era demo tape may have come from Jack Bruce or his wife and so survived.
There are a few bbc radio tracks not included on the extraordinarily badly eq'd and equally badly thought out official BBC set.
Unless the band taped (and kept) early rehearsals there might be little of interest. They didn't have a big song catalogue (covers included).
Only Jack was a prolific writer and i get the impression that once Ertegun demanded Eric be the star many of Jack's songs went unused till his first solo albums.
There used to be a good website (deserted cities of the heart?) that listed all circulating Cream. Worth a look,but i'm not sure if it's updated these days.
I would like to add that i think Cream are the most overrated band ever. Love JB's bass playing and many of his tunes but Baker is crazy over-busy and Clapton churns out the same boring riffs over and over even within one song.The master of the blues cliche indeed. Jack should've stuck with Manfred Mann.(bad taste joke sorry)
Hope the info before my opinion was useful.
Of course there are around 70 concert/radio tapes of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac 1967 to 1970 in limited circulation. Don't let the name of the rhythm section put you off !!!! Much more rewarding listening than Cream. If you haven't, check 'em out. You'll love em and pretty soon you'll weep at the curse of the Fleetwood Mac guitarists.

Date: December 18, 2012 01:03

tomcasagranda
Demos turned up on Those Were The Days box set.

Some Cream recorded stuff also turned up on Song For A Tailor by Jack Bruce, and on A Question of Time.

Bearing in mind Clapton barely wrote material for Cream, I doubt there'd be anything else left.

Speaking of Clapton: I wouldn't mind a second Blind Faith 2cd set, with the Hyde Park gig as an extra disc. The first 2cd set had only jams, and outtakes.

Also, bearing in mind how Clapton's reissues have included a 2cd Layla & Assorted Love Songs, his 1970 self titled album, 461 Ocean Boulevard, Slowhand, Crossroads Live In The 70s, and Disraeli Gears 2cd, there's bound to be some more good stuff in the vault.

What I would like reissued would be the following deluxes:

1. No Reason to Cry, with Carnival done by Clapton and the Stones. There's also bound to be some Shangri La sessions featuring The Band, Dylan, and Ronnie Wood.

2. Unplugged complete - we know that Circus Left Town was recorded at these sessions, and that there are other live tracks from a great album by Clapton.

3. From The Cradle - Must be some blues outtakes kicking around.

yreah i have THOSE WERE THE DAYS and then the alternate version of "blue condition" showed up a few years later on the 2 cd version of DISRAELI GEARS

Date: December 18, 2012 01:38

tomcasagranda
Not unless you want a broken nose from Ginger.

I've just seen the trailer to Beware of Mr Baker: he'd challenge Jerry Lee for being the rock world's biggest nutter.

I gotta get this doc....that is, when it comes out on DVD. It's being released theatrically first. Tomcasagranda, thanks for the heads-up on this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-18 01:42 by stonesnow.

Date: December 18, 2012 01:50

ash
Someone who actually likes Clapton may know better than me, but i think there is little left of Cream to surface outside of any concert tapes that were recorded surreptitiously but not yet circulated. I assume you have the boots that are already floating around "out there".
I think much of any outtakes went up in the Atlantic Tape library fire. Not much of a loss when you think who else had been on Atlantic (Coltrane for starters) .
I think the disraeli-era demo tape may have come from Jack Bruce or his wife and so survived.
There are a few bbc radio tracks not included on the extraordinarily badly eq'd and equally badly thought out official BBC set.
Unless the band taped (and kept) early rehearsals there might be little of interest. They didn't have a big song catalogue (covers included).
Only Jack was a prolific writer and i get the impression that once Ertegun demanded Eric be the star many of Jack's songs went unused till his first solo albums.
There used to be a good website (deserted cities of the heart?) that listed all circulating Cream. Worth a look,but i'm not sure if it's updated these days.
I would like to add that i think Cream are the most overrated band ever. Love JB's bass playing and many of his tunes but Baker is crazy over-busy and Clapton churns out the same boring riffs over and over even within one song.The master of the blues cliche indeed. Jack should've stuck with Manfred Mann.(bad taste joke sorry)
Hope the info before my opinion was useful.
Of course there are around 70 concert/radio tapes of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac 1967 to 1970 in limited circulation. Don't let the name of the rhythm section put you off !!!! Much more rewarding listening than Cream. If you haven't, check 'em out. You'll love em and pretty soon you'll weep at the curse of the Fleetwood Mac guitarists.

most overrated band ever???lmao

Date: December 18, 2012 01:56

Yep even more than Led Zep

Date: December 18, 2012 02:02

actually i will revise that to most overrated British band from the 60s.
a slight improvement since my previous accusation.

Date: December 18, 2012 02:19

Date: December 18, 2012 02:34

[gpatt.customer.netspace.net.au]

that's the Cream website. Some good info there with some really nicely illustrated sections. It might not have been updated recently but there hasn't been much action on the unreleased Cream front for a while to my knowledge.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 18, 2012 02:56

A number of years ago, I had business which frequently took me to the Polygram tape library which was (and perhaps still is) in Edison, New Jersey.
Once, while dropping off some tapes there, I had a chat with Bill Levenson, who was in charge of Polygram's reissue program at the time. He was in the process of putting together the Cream box set "Those Were The Days".

I asked him how much unreleased Cream material he had to work with and his exact response was "precious little".

He explained that other than unreleased live tracks which had been recorded in the spring and autumn tours in 1968, all he really had to work with were the demos from "Fresh Cream". Some of those live tracks did show up on the boxed set, by the way. (The bulk of the live '68 material had already been released on "Wheels of Fire", "Goodbye", "Live Cream" and "Live Cream Vol. II")

Tom Dowd, who engineered "Disraeli Gears", was kind enough to be interviewed for a project I was working on in the same time period. Tom said that "Disraeli Gears" was recorded in a matter of about 36 hours, just before the band was to leave the United States and return to the UK after a tour. It was all they could do to prefect the selections which showed up on the album-time did not allow for recording any extra material. It's amazing that such a stellar release was recorded in such a short period of time!

The studio tracks of "Wheels of Fire" (plus the single "Anyone For Tennis") were given more time and were able to be more fully realized and orchestrated.

Cream was together as a band for only 18 months, and most of that time was devoted to touring. The last album, "Goodbye", as you surely know, had only 3 studio tracks on it, since that was all that had been recorded for it when they disbanded.

An extra studio track, "Lawdy Mama" (a version of "Strange Brew" with alternate lyrics) was found to be useable and was bizarrely squeezed onto "Live Cream" in an effort to put as much "new" Cream material into the market as possible..so even in the early 1970's, Polygram (Atco in the USA) was searching far and wide for more, but there was/is none to be had.

That being said, there was a bootleg release in 2005 called "Acid" which includes some of the demos from "Fresh Cream"; a few, short, piano-heavy studio jams; and what sound like monitor mixes of "Anyone For Tennis", "Doing that Scrapyard
Thing" (minus vocals), "White Room" (different vocal take and a few extra guitar riffs) and an alternate mix of "Pressed Rat and Warthog". But these are not unreleased songs. And the sound is not all that good.

If any unreleased treasures existed, they would have been released by now.

Date: December 18, 2012 21:44

thanks for the info guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2334
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home