Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie with a LP Standard at Mogador gig!
Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 30, 2012 08:49

Never seen him play a LP standard in this color, looks to be a new one from the custom shop:

Re: Ronnie with a LP Standard at Mogador gig!
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 30, 2012 09:06

Yeah the other day before the show started we were like...whose guitar is this...we could only remember two Stones playing one, both called Mick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 09:27 by gotdablouse.

Date: October 30, 2012 09:12

Keef played one at VL tour as well during satisfaction. Never seen Mick J. played one live.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 09:14 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: October 30, 2012 09:19

Jagger used them as studio guitars in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I don't even know what song this is on.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Date: October 30, 2012 09:20

And off course Keef played the famous 59 LP standard with bigsby back in the 60s.

Date: October 30, 2012 09:21

RollingStonesRob
Jagger used them as studio guitars in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I don't even know what song this is on.

Any pic of this would be very interesting since i never seen him with a LP standard.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 30, 2012 09:31

Keith had a black one which you can see him playing in the Goddard Film about making Sympathy for the Devil.

He plays messing about playing a mean chainsaw riff (whilst sitting on the floor if I recall correctly).

Date: October 30, 2012 09:31

I think there's one of him taken at Municland in Georgio Morider's studios.

Didn't remember Keith playing one, thanks.

The other day before the show it was on Ronnie's side so you can imagine what we had on our minds ;-)

Date: October 30, 2012 09:32

GravityBoy
Keith had a black one which you can see him playing in the Goddard Film about making Sympathy for the Devil.

He plays messing about playing a mean chainsaw riff (whilst sitting on the floor if I recall correctly).

Yes off course, but that's not a LP standard. I think you mean the black LP custom?

Date: October 30, 2012 09:34

gotdablouse

Didn't remember Keith playing one, thanks.

The other day before the show it was on Ronnie's side so you can imagine what we had on our minds ;-)

A pic of MJ with a LP standard would be nice, i've never seen him with one and i'm a stones guitar geek.

Date: October 30, 2012 10:11

JumpinJeppeFlash
GravityBoy

Yes off course, but that's not a LP standard. I think you mean the black LP custom?

Ah.. ok.

I see the distinction now.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 30, 2012 10:16

History of LP Standards with the Stones:

There's basically three Bursts: the 59 Bigsby Burst, Taylor's non-figured '59, and Keith's figured '59 (the one called 'The Claw', it had a distinct stripe between te PU's).

The Bigsby Burst is used by Taylor for slide on LIV, by Keith for HTW in '69. Jagger is seen playing this one while Taylor's plays slide on a Tele in 1970: Stop Breaking Down. Jagger also used the Bigsby burst for Sway.

Taylor uses the non-figured burst solely for the '72 tour, whereas Keith uses the figured Burst on selected songs: Midnight Rambler and Bye Bye Johnnie at least. In '73 Taylor used the figured burst solely. For the Winter Tour '73 Taylor is seen playing a rented LP, a dark burst.

As standard bursts, that's basically it. Keith uses a '53 Goldtop in '75, a Special in '78, a single cut junior in '81, a double cut Junior since '81, and again a lime single cut since '94.

Wood has played a Special over the years, and a black standard since '97.

Mathijs

Date: October 30, 2012 12:34

Mathijs
History of LP Standards with the Stones:

There's basically three Bursts: the 59 Bigsby Burst, Taylor's non-figured '59, and Keith's figured '59 (the one called 'The Claw', it had a distinct stripe between te PU's).

The Bigsby Burst is used by Taylor for slide on LIV, by Keith for HTW in '69. Jagger is seen playing this one while Taylor's plays slide on a Tele in 1970: Stop Breaking Down. Jagger also used the Bigsby burst for Sway.

Taylor uses the non-figured burst solely for the '72 tour, whereas Keith uses the figured Burst on selected songs: Midnight Rambler and Bye Bye Johnnie at least. In '73 Taylor used the figured burst solely. For the Winter Tour '73 Taylor is seen playing a rented LP, a dark burst.

As standard bursts, that's basically it. Keith uses a '53 Goldtop in '75, a Special in '78, a single cut junior in '81, a double cut Junior since '81, and again a lime single cut since '94.

Wood has played a Special over the years, and a black standard since '97.

Mathijs

And that's it!

As usual, many thanks Mathijs!

Don't think there exist any pics of MJ with a standard.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: October 30, 2012 15:42

JumpinJeppeFlash

You'll find a few here:

MJ Bigsby Burst

Date: October 30, 2012 16:13

xke38
JumpinJeppeFlash

You'll find a few here:

MJ Bigsby Burst

Nice!

Many thanks!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 30, 2012 19:02

xke38
JumpinJeppeFlash

You'll find a few here:

MJ Bigsby Burst

And, there's a few pics of Jagger with John Lennon in '72, both playing a Standard. If my memory serves, Jagger plays a Standard without Bigsby.

Mathijs

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 30, 2012 19:13

I recall a really great pic taken by Ian Stewart of Mick T and Mick J in the studio, presumably during the sessions that produced 'Sway' and 'Stop Breaking Down' in which MT is playing a Tele and MJ a Sunburst. However, as I recall the Sunburst had no Bigsby and the PU covers were removed. If anyone remebers this and has a copy of they can share I would be most grateful to see it again.

As to Ronnie playing a Sunburst, I've never seen him play one ever so I'd be curious to hear what song he used it on...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2012 20:25

According to another thread around here somewhere, Ronnie's LP is nicknamed "Romeo"
and at Le Trabendo he played it on Route 66, Midnight Rambler and Brown Sugar

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 20:34 by with sssoul.

Date: October 30, 2012 20:31

ChrisM
I recall a really great pic taken by Ian Stewart of Mick T and Mick J in the studio, presumably during the sessions that produced 'Sway' and 'Stop Breaking Down' in which MT is playing a Tele and MJ a Sunburst. However, as I recall the Sunburst had no Bigsby and the PU covers were removed. If anyone remebers this and has a copy of they can share I would be most grateful to see it again.

As to Ronnie playing a Sunburst, I've never seen him play one ever so I'd be curious to hear what song he used it on...

I suppose he played it on HTW, BS or ADTL at Mogador since Keef is using Micawber in the pic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 20:33 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2012 20:47

ADTL was the second number, right? I vote for that one, in that case -
the photo appears to be pretty early in the gig

Date: October 30, 2012 20:49

JumpinJeppeFlash
Never seen him play a LP standard in this color, looks to be a new one from the custom shop:

Why has Mick stolen Paul McCartney's clothes?

Date: October 30, 2012 20:55

gotdablouse
Ok I was wrong here's what I was thinking of :

BTW if anyone has the Munichland 73 pics handy I'm interested...been searching my HDs for a while for them now...

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 30, 2012 21:10

JumpinJeppeFlash
ChrisM

I suppose he played it on HTW, BS or ADTL at Mogador since Keef is using Micawber in the pic.
Yarp, makes sense.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 30, 2012 21:14

It s not a new one unless its been aged as the finish had cracks. Its called Roméo.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: October 30, 2012 21:16

gotdablouse
gotdablouse
Ok I was wrong here's what I was thinking of :

BTW if anyone has the Munichland 73 pics handy I'm interested...been searching my HDs for a while for them now...
Nice guitar, BAD sweater!

Date: October 30, 2012 21:20

gwen
It s not a new one unless its been aged as the finish had cracks. Its called Roméo.

I think it's a new aged 58 or 59 reissue from the custom shop. Don't think Ronnie will play or got a original 58 or 59 LP, never heard of it anyway.

Posted by: kharrison ()
Date: October 31, 2012 01:23

Which of the three bursts that Mathijs is on the cover of Ya Ya's. I don't think that has ever been solved.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 31, 2012 02:55

Did it help?

Date: October 31, 2012 05:25

JumpinJeppeFlash
Keef played one at VL tour as well during satisfaction. Never seen Mick J. played one live.

Shattered as well.

Date: October 31, 2012 07:20

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
JumpinJeppeFlash

Shattered as well.

Indeed!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1265
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home