Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
ot- NASCAR or F1 ?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 30, 2012 02:38

Topic subject change at any moment... to keep the most people happy

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-18 12:08 by Max'sKansasCity.

Re: Jagger just started MNF
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 30, 2012 04:26

Wow, what a crappy, forgettable song to promo on Monday Night Football. What's next, Flip The Switch?

-
Date: October 30, 2012 04:33

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 05:43 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 30, 2012 04:36

I renounced my douchebaggery last week.

[thepowergoats.com]

-
Date: October 30, 2012 04:38

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 05:44 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 30, 2012 05:34

I don't understand the point of this MNF contract to play Stones music, if they're barely tapping into the catalog, and not even playing very good songs.

I've only heard 4 songs

1. Sparks Will Fly
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. (One Hit) To The Body
4. Doom And Gloom (no vocals, just instrumental)

They've had those same 4 songs on rotation all night. Tonight is probably the most I've ever heard (One Hit) To The Body.

At least last year they had that night where they played all Some Girls tracks, tonight is generic rocker night I guess. But I think they played all those songs last week as well.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 30, 2012 05:47

NoCode0680
I don't understand the point of this MNF contract to play Stones music, if they're barely tapping into the catalog, and not even playing very good songs.

I've only heard 4 songs

1. Sparks Will Fly
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. (One Hit) To The Body

They've had those same 4 songs on rotation all night. Tonight is probably the most I've ever heard (One Hit) To The Body.

At least last year they had that night where they played all Some Girls tracks, tonight is generic rocker night I guess. But I think they played all those songs last week as well.

What's wrong with (One Hit) To The Body? That sounds perfect for MNF. What do you expect, Dandelion?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2012 05:54

NoCode0680

I've only heard 4 songs

1. Sparks Will Fly
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. (One Hit) To The Body

This sounds perfect for a round of Winning Ugly, Fight, and Dirty Work...maybe a little Hold Back as well. Roll to credits with Sleep.

Beauty!

Re: -
Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 30, 2012 05:56

I happen to like Flip the Switch!

Date: October 30, 2012 06:14

stonesnow
NoCode0680

I've only heard 4 songs

1. Sparks Will Fly
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. (One Hit) To The Body

What's wrong with (One Hit) To The Body? That sounds perfect for MNF. What do you expect, Dandelion?

My point was they keep playing those 4 songs over and over again, and they played them last week. I'm assuming the point of all this is to expose a new audience to their music, but they aren't playing many songs.

Date: October 30, 2012 06:22

NoCode0680
stonesnow
NoCode0680

I've only heard 4 songs

1. Sparks Will Fly
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. (One Hit) To The Body

My point was they keep playing those 4 songs over and over again, and they played them last week. I'm assuming the point of all this is to expose a new audience to their music, but they aren't playing many songs.

But if they play too many songs people to whom the songs are not familiar might forget the songs from last week. Besides, the NFL contract probably only called for so many songs. For more songs they would have had to have paid the Stones more--it's probably costing them a Super Bowl's worth as it is.

Date: October 30, 2012 06:32

stonesnow

But if they play too many songs people to whom the songs are not familiar might forget the songs from last week. Besides, the NFL contract probably only called for so many songs. For more songs they would have had to have paid the Stones more--it's probably costing them a Super Bowl's worth as it is.

I doubt the NFL or ESPN are paying The Stones anything. It's free advertising for The Stones, if anything they should be paying them. 10 Million Viewers per week hearing their music.

Date: October 30, 2012 07:39

NoCode0680
stonesnow

I doubt the NFL or ESPN are paying The Stones anything. It's free advertising for The Stones, if anything they should be paying them. 10 Million Viewers per week hearing their music.

I would bet that a certain former LSE student would not see it that way. It was "free" advertising, in a sense, to have Start Me Up in the Microsoft commercial, but the deal for Microsoft was not for free.

If The Stones were just giving away their songs for free advertising via MNF, they would have included ABKCO-owned songs in the bargain. I mean, why not introduce a new audience to your best stuff, right? But those 4 songs you listed earlier just happen to be post-ABKCO, and therefore for The Stones to profit from.

Date: October 30, 2012 07:51

NoCode0680
stonesnow

Yes, also there was a New York Daily News article from September 10 titled 'Time Is Not On Their Side: ESPN Shuns Early Stones:

articles.nydailynews.com/2012-09-10/news/33742814_1_espn-spokesman-promotion-stones

ESPN is commemorating 50 years of Stones music by selecting only from 40 years of it, omitting the first 10 years and beginning with 1972. What the article doesn't tell you is that ABKCO controls the catalog up to 1971, at which point The Stones have rights to their catalog from then on. That means that the run of songs played each week on MNF were sold for the purpose of bringing The Stones themselves a profit, unlike, say, Jumping jack Flash, where only ABKCO would profit from such a deal.

Date: October 30, 2012 08:15

stonesnow
NoCode0680
stonesnow

I would bet that a certain former LSE student would not see it that way. It was "free" advertising, in a sense, to have Start Me Up in the Microsoft commercial, but the deal for Microsoft was not for free.

If The Stones were just giving away their songs for free advertising via MNF, they would have included ABKCO-owned songs in the bargain. I mean, why not introduce a new audience to your best stuff, right? But those 4 songs you listed earlier just happen to be post-ABKCO, and therefore for The Stones to profit from.

I don't understand that last part. You sort of disproved your own point you were making. They would of course advertise their post-ABKCO catalog, because they don't have to pay ABKCO, as you said. Besides, the deal is between ESPN and Universal, which is why there are no ABKCO songs.

Using a song in a commercial and this MNF are different things. In recent years labels and networks have made deals to feature music from various artists (often times with a commercial for the album going into a break) and the networks don't pay for that, it's seen as a mutually beneficial deal. In a commercial they are using a band's song to sell THEIR product so bands usually want to be paid, where things like this it is the other way around, ESPN is using MNF to sell The Stones and in return they get free music.

I don't know for sure if that is the deal cut here, I can't find much about it other than the press release and 100 stories that copied and pasted it.

Here is a list of the 16 songs Universal gave ESPN to use.

"Hang Fire" from the "Tattoo You” album
"Undercover (Of the Night)" from the "Undercover” album
"Let Me Go" from the "Emotional Rescue” album
"Rough Justice" from the "A Bigger Bang” album
"Too Tough" from the "Undercover” album
"Shattered" from the "Some Girls” album
"Respectable" from the "Some Girls” album
"You Got Me Rocking" from the "Voodoo Lounge” album
"One Hit to the Body" from the "Dirty Work” album
"It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I Like It)" from the "It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll” album
"Sparks Will Fly" from the "Voodoo Lounge” album
"Hold On to Your Hat" from the "Steel Wheels” album
"Out of Control" from the "Bridges to Babylon” album
"Flip the Switch" from the "Bridges to Babylon” album
"Rip This Joint" from the "Exile on Main Street” album
"Fight" from the "Dirty Work” album

Edit: By the way, that first part came out much douchier than I meant it to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 08:33 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 30, 2012 09:01

What's wuth the blank title and messages ?!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 30, 2012 09:03

Something upset Max ...

Date: October 30, 2012 16:07

jamesfdouglas
I renounced my douchebaggery last week.

you're like the prodigal son...we need you back jimmy!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 30, 2012 16:22

good for the band. hopefully this will create excitement with some new fans and they will seek out some of these forgotten yet classic records. the stones could use the money, for sure.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 30, 2012 17:33

I think they should play @#$%& Blues and Some Girls with all the original lyrics intact.

Date: October 30, 2012 17:39

71Tele
I think they should play @#$%& Blues and Some Girls with all the original lyrics intact.

Let's save @#$%& Blues for when the Cowboys are on, and use it as Jerry Jones' theme song. Just play it every time they cut to him in his box.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 30, 2012 17:43

NoCode0680
71Tele

Let's save @#$%& Blues for when the Cowboys are on, and use it as Jerry Jones' theme song. Just play it every time they cut to him in his box.

Nice try, but Beck's "Loser" is sitting strong in that spot.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 30, 2012 17:46

Munichhilton
NoCode0680
71Tele

jerry rocks. please.

Date: October 30, 2012 20:31

StonesTod
Munichhilton
NoCode0680
71Tele

jerry rocks. please.

hanoi rocks, actually

Date: October 30, 2012 20:32

This thread is just about my favourite of all time.

So liberating not to have to adhere to some lame topic.

Date: October 30, 2012 20:44

NoCode0680
stonesnow
NoCode0680
stonesnow

I don't understand that last part. You sort of disproved your own point you were making. They would of course advertise their post-ABKCO catalog, because they don't have to pay ABKCO, as you said. Besides, the deal is between ESPN and Universal, which is why there are no ABKCO songs.

Using a song in a commercial and this MNF are different things. In recent years labels and networks have made deals to feature music from various artists (often times with a commercial for the album going into a break) and the networks don't pay for that, it's seen as a mutually beneficial deal. In a commercial they are using a band's song to sell THEIR product so bands usually want to be paid, where things like this it is the other way around, ESPN is using MNF to sell The Stones and in return they get free music.

I don't know for sure if that is the deal cut here, I can't find much about it other than the press release and 100 stories that copied and pasted it.

Here is a list of the 16 songs Universal gave ESPN to use.

"Hang Fire" from the "Tattoo You” album
"Undercover (Of the Night)" from the "Undercover” album
"Let Me Go" from the "Emotional Rescue” album
"Rough Justice" from the "A Bigger Bang” album
"Too Tough" from the "Undercover” album
"Shattered" from the "Some Girls” album
"Respectable" from the "Some Girls” album
"You Got Me Rocking" from the "Voodoo Lounge” album
"One Hit to the Body" from the "Dirty Work” album
"It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I Like It)" from the "It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll” album
"Sparks Will Fly" from the "Voodoo Lounge” album
"Hold On to Your Hat" from the "Steel Wheels” album
"Out of Control" from the "Bridges to Babylon” album
"Flip the Switch" from the "Bridges to Babylon” album
"Rip This Joint" from the "Exile on Main Street” album
"Fight" from the "Dirty Work” album

Edit: By the way, that first part came out much douchier than I meant it to.

I don't understand that first part about that last part, sort of....

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 30, 2012 20:45

StonesTod
Munichhilton
NoCode0680
71Tele

jerry rocks. please.

Yeah, you've got to give props to a septuagenerian who wants to get back to the glory hole days.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 30, 2012 20:46

treaclefingers
This thread is just about my favourite of all time.

So liberating not to have to adhere to some lame topic.

I hate this thread.

It sucks.

It's the suckiest thread I ever read.

It's worse than the whiners thread.

But sometimes I like it though.

Date: October 30, 2012 20:46

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Munichhilton
NoCode0680
71Tele

jerry rocks. please.

hanoi rocks, actually

Anyone for chinese rocks?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 30, 2012 20:47

stonesnow
Anyone for chinese rocks?

That's what I was thinking.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1922
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home