Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards in Rock & Folk : complete interview
Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: December 18, 2004 19:39

KR : hi Philippe (Manoeuvre, an infamous french rock critic), i'm fine, got only 10 minutes late. I'm in England, my first visit since 1 year.
R&F : why this Live Cd, the 9th, why not a studio album?
KR : We currently are finishing the new album.It will be recorded in a studio or not.Nowadays, you don't need a studio.We record here and there like we did for EOMStreet.You can do it anywhere.
So i just did a long writing-songs-session with Mick in his mansion (Pocé sur Cisse near Amboise by the river Loire - notes from Marclaff).We could record the album there, i'll be back in a couple of weeks.There is something goin' on with Mick, we work very easily together and we have a good time.Beware, you never know what will be released but at the moment the process is fascinating.
R&F : Next tour in 2005?
The idea is to finish the album this winter, release it springtime and tour next summer.It's what we gonna try to do.
R&F : What about Charlie?
Saw him last week, he looked fine.He asked me : when will we be on the road again?
R&F : What about your guitar playing?
My playing changes and i don't even notice it.Growing up they said.Hope to become adult one day (laughs).
R&F : The best moment is CYHMK
To rearrange an old song is a real pleasure.
R&F : You sing 3 songs
The more you sing, the more you like to sing.Singing was my first job : soprano in a choral.But i can't control my voice.
R&F : Who decides the setlist?
Always Mick, he sings, he chooses.Then Ron, Charlie or myself suggest a couple of songs but the singer is the engine, he must choose.
R&F : Is there a song you can't play on stage?
Clearly, a song works when everybody wants to play it.We spent many tours without Satisfaction because nobody "felt" the song.
R&F : After India and Hong Kong, where do you want to go?
China and North Korea but the shows in India were wonderful.It's important to play in new places
R&F : I wonder why, from the stage, the audience stays a black hole.
No, it's weird, some details change but when the Stones are playing, we create a bubble, an other world for 2 hours.
R&F : The best show from last tour?
Festival in Toronto, i thought i was in Hyde Park again.Some clubs were fantastic.Give me a stage, anywhere, anytime, i want to play.I didn't miss a Stones concert until now.
R&F : Are you proud of a specific solo in Live Licks?
Gasp, solos, somebody had to do it, i prefer leave them to Ron.I care about the ones on SFTD.Soloing is like a flight but the problem is still "how to touch down?"
R&F : What is the secret of your longevity?
If there was a secret, i did not tell it.What's a band? People wanting to play together, the ones in my band are interesting, i want to know where they want to go.As long as we surprise each others.
R&F : Next december 18th, you'll be 62 (not Marclaff's mistake), what do you expect?
KR : Hope to reach 69.
R&F : Are you acting with J Depp?
KR : We talked together last week, we talked a lot.Negociations. I'm wearing his boots today, gorgeous green leather boots, we used to trade our wardrobe.
R&F : there is a movie about Brian, what do you think?
KR : i believe i already know the story.It's a stange affair which is still a mystery for me.Brian didn't go well and people around him had absolutly no sympathy for his problems.Brian dug his own grave.
R&F : Do you want to write a biography like Dylan?
KR : yes, i do!The first part will be released in 2020...BTW, i liked to try to remember my life.
R&F : On the road, what do you need?
KR : my music, it's crucial, some scarves to recover the lamps in the hotel and some T-shirts.Don't forget some jewels and knives.
R&F : Last tour, you were the only one drinking and maybe more, is it a problem with the others?
KR : That's their problem, not mine (demonish laughs)
R&F : Do you talk 'bout drugs with your children?
Sure, i say : take only good stuff.They smoke weed and then? Let's show them how to roll a joint, otherwise what's the use of a father?????
R&F : what are you listening to at the moment?
KR : Lee Perry, there are too many things about his ideas to conceive the hope of the sound.He knows how to use silence, he is a great painter (Marclaff doesn't quite understand).

Re: Keith Richards in Rock & Folk : complete interview
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 18, 2004 20:09

Thanks for this. It's even better than the Mick interview.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: December 18, 2004 20:18

Here are the photos published in the magazine .

Posted by: john r ()
Date: December 18, 2004 21:53

"That's their problem, not mine."
yeah right. cool. brian dug his own grave, people around him had absolutely no sympathy for his problems.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 29, 2006 11:53

A great interview!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 29, 2006 11:58

>> He knows how to use silence, he is a great painter <<

silence is the musician's canvas. (Keith's used this metaphor in other interviews i've seen)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-29 12:01 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Tralala ()
Date: December 29, 2006 15:05

"Next December you'll be 62..." So this is a two year old interview - and a poorly conducted one...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 29, 2006 16:13

I don't agree that silence is the musician's canvas. The non existence of a song is the canvas. Silence itself is part of the song; the way a neutral background or foundation is part of the painting. I interpret that statement by Keith that LP knows less is more; to use sound sparingly. But that is just my interpret.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: December 29, 2006 16:14

much as i love Keef, i gotta say he's not a great father figure

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: December 29, 2006 16:16

I wonder if that kind of tal;k is just part of him prolonging his own myth. Probably not true.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 29, 2006 16:22

[www.iorr.org]

You already posted the above once, Marclaff......

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 29, 2006 16:24

i'm just quoting Keith about silence being the canvas, Chelsea.
of course you don't need to agree.

Posted by: 68stonesconcerts ()
Date: December 30, 2006 05:07

ok

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 25, 2011 18:52

marclaff

R&F: Are you proud of a specific solo in Live Licks?
KEITH: Gasp, solos, somebody had to do it, i prefer leave them to Ron. I care about the ones on SFTD. Soloing is like a flight but the problem is still "how to touch down."

...Made me ponder my favorite "touch downs." I like the end of the solo in ALREADY OVER ME, where Keith and Ronnie are playing high and low notes at (roughly) the same time. (I mean the 2nd solo around 4:00, because a "mini" solo commences around 1:00.)

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 25, 2011 19:21

The problem is "how to touch down"?

I'd say with his live! solos these days he's not even taking off!

And he cares about the SFTD solos?! Over the last 20 years many of them have been so awful I couldn't believe it. Then how does a solo sound that he doesn't care for . . ?

If you can't play anymore for whatever reason, - it's okay. But then stop telling silly stories.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home