Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Chuck Berry - "My singing days have passed"
Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: October 29, 2012 22:09

This is just one part of the interview, taken out of context. He just made up a poem about getting older, about the sunset of his life.

He also stated he will perform for as long as he can. He will never retire!

But one day he will have to leave this world. But he will always be remembered. To me he is the greatest entertainer of all time. HIM AND JERRY LEE LEWIS WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you so much!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 29, 2012 22:10

Seeing Chuck at the Intl. Amphitheater in Chicago open for the Stones back in 1969 was very special. Chuck brought the A game and the crowd loved it. Some one came on stage to tell him to cut the set as he was having so much fun. He didn't want to leave! Best opener for the Stones I ever saw. When the boys played Carol and Queenie that night I was in heaven.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 29, 2012 22:11

BluzDude
Back in the 70's I would often go to the tapings of "Midnight Special" TV show. Once when he was a musical guest (with the Bee Gees hosting), Chuck came out after the show finished taping and played about a 45 minute set for the audience...he didn't have to do that.
THAT!!!! is a cool story!

If you ever feel like telling tales of goings to those tapings, feel free to start a thread... I used to watch that every Friday/Sturday.... it was all we had before MTV.... well that and Don's Rock Concert.

Posted by: mcgeez8 ()
Date: October 29, 2012 22:25

got to see chuck play a hometown show at the pageant in STL a few years back. Was unable to attend a blueberry hill show since I was not yet 21. Would love to go back and see him at blueberry hill in a much jmore intimate setting.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 29, 2012 22:29

Glad I got to see him a few years ago.

He even managed a duckwalk. smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: October 29, 2012 22:31

paulywaul
So sad, so very sad. Charles Jr, if you read this thread ever (and we've seen lots of you on IORR over recent years), please be aware that this guy writing here thinks your pa is the single greatest contributor to shaping the "sound" that has dominated his life music-wise, so thank him from me for everything he's ever done. And boy, was I ever happy to have seen (both of you) at the 100 Club in london a few years ago, I shall treasure those memories (and a handful of pictures) till the day I drop. Make the best of the remaining time you have together.[/quote

DITTO well said

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 29, 2012 22:38

Wish he could do something with the Stones...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-29 23:28 by Harm.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 30, 2012 05:55

Chuck Berry is an old man. He has had many slights from this country because of the color of his skin and he is somewhat bitter about it. If we were in his place we probably would be too. I beleive that he influenced more artists than Elvis or just as many. Why do we have to see negativity when a man says his hearing, voice and lungs are failing?? Who care if hw was "mean" to Keith in the movie or not? Keith can be a jerk. How can someone base a preference for Jerry Lee Lewis because Jerry was nice to Keith? Are you 5 years old? Keith stated in the movie that he had great affection for Chuck and his family despite the difficulties they had working together. There are two giant sized egos there butting heads and you have Keith Richards trying to tell Chuck Berry how to play Chuck Berry songs it's not all Chuck you might get a little annoyed with that as well. Chuck I think might be a little jealous of the Stones they basically got started with his songs and the blues and went on to be this mega act that Chuck never got to and they play music steeped in Chuck Berry style rythyms. Granted Mick and Keith went on to be better song writers an reached their status on their own but Chuck may not see it this way. I think that Keith and Mick might agree with this. So all of you bashing Chuck when the man appears to be sick just be quiet and go find a little "class"!!!

As Cindy C said above HAil Hail Rock and ROll!!!!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 30, 2012 09:38

slew
Who care if hw was "mean" to Keith in the movie or not? Keith can be a jerk. How can someone base a preference for Jerry Lee Lewis because Jerry was nice to Keith? Are you 5 years old?

I was just pointing out the fact that Chuck was being a jerk to Keith. There is no dispute about that.

He can be a jerk you know.

He has a reputation for messing other musicians around.

I'm sure he can be lovable too.

I love Chuck Berry music.

Chuck was heavily influenced by T Bone Walker - listen to him and you see where Chuck got a lot of those licks from.

Chuck gave it a back beat and his own fantastic poetry.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 30, 2012 10:17

i saw him back in 1995 and it was a good show. he was an angry old man.
the second time i saw him was in 2008 and it was a mess. he couldn´t sing his songs anymore, played wrong chords all the time.
I had to explain my wife that he had not been that fool in former times.
i thought please stay home! you have done so much for music don´t destroy it with such worthless gigs!!!
finally he did it...

Posted by: WolfgangG ()
Date: October 30, 2012 11:59

deardoctor
i saw him back in 1995 and it was a good show. he was an angry old man.
the second time i saw him was in 2008 and it was a mess. he couldn´t sing his songs anymore, played wrong chords all the time.
I had to explain my wife that he had not been that fool in former times.
i thought please stay home! you have done so much for music don´t destroy it with such worthless gigs!!!
finally he did it...

So you draw a conclusion from one show in 2008 and one in 1995? Then you don't know Chuck Berry. He has been known to perform absolutely out of tune many decades ago. I once heard an audience recording from a 1977 show and he sounds horrible.

He also does not stay at home as you suggested, but is still performing, giving a younger generation the chance to see a legend.

Of course compared to people like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard, The Rolling Stones are just a boygroup basically.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-30 12:01 by WolfgangG.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2012 12:07

He's 86 c'mon give him a break!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home