Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones Legacy
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 18, 2004 09:57

I do feel in the Stones history the legacy of Brian Jones is often overlooked especially when compared to the endless Taylor v Wood debates.
I do believe although much of the work the Stones produced when Brian was in his prime was less than typical of their recognised sound Brian added incredible diversity which has added so greatly to their catalogue.
Albums such as Aftermath and Between The Buttons have always held a special place for me despite the fact they do not represent the Stones most consistent work.
A more thoughtful reflection needs to be made of Brians contribution, i feel.

Re: Brian Jones Legacy
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 18, 2004 13:57

Agreed with Edward. I think the Taylor / Wood debates are just there because they are both still alive, so there is a IMAGINERY chance that Taylor comes back. This will never ever happen offcourse! I think Brians contribution was keeping the band faithfull to their roots, and spread some hart and soul in their work. Needless to say he was the best musician who ever played in the Stones. Taylor might me a great guitar player but I do not see him picking up a flut / sitar / organ / harpsichord / dulcimer / marimbas / accordeon / banjo / kazoo / sax / harp / mellotron / mandolin / autoharp ect, ect, ect. Wood is a nice guy who kept the Stones together in hard times but he doesn't come close to Taylor, let alone Brian. Brian was the right guy for the right period in the Stones career, so was Taylor, so is Wood. All for different reasons.....

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: December 20, 2004 14:15

"Brian was the right guy for the right period in the Stones career, so was Taylor, so is Wood. All for different reasons....."

I absolutely agree.

- Doxa

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: December 20, 2004 17:55

I've been listening to early Stones discs latley and feel Brian's guitatr playing is underrated. His slide work is masterful but his rythm work is great as well. The solo on "It's all over now" really kicks ass. You can hear a lot of him in Keith's later playing styles.

When the band started, Brian was the leader. I also think he was the one that wanted to keep with the psycandelical stuff but was turned away, maybe because he was to weak to eert his influence.

Keith of course is completely straight

Posted by: BrianKeith ()
Date: December 21, 2004 12:07

Brians Harmonica on the NME Poolwinner Concerts 1964 / 1965 is great!!!
Brian is the best Musican on the Band History!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 4, 2007 04:21

If ya ain't done it lately, go back and checkout some of Brian's stellar work.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home