Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor on Fasching 16 dec
Posted by: mago ()
Date: December 17, 2004 10:46

With excellent assistance from Finnish Ventus Blues Band, Mick Taylor gave a great concert yesterday night in Stockholm. After playing two numbers Ventus Blues Band introduced Mick Taylor as the greatest guitar player in the world, Mick came in and the opening number was Stop Breaking Down from Exile. A great performance. After the paus other Stones numbers were played . You Gotta Move , some riffs from Can´t You here me knocking, but best of all was Ventilator Blues, that is still ringing in my head. Encore was No expectations, but his version sounded a little strange. Of course there were some other excellent numbers, I have to go and buy some of his own albums. Ventus offered a good back up, in my opinion better than the two last times Mick visited Stockholm; with his own band at Gota Kallare three or four years ago and with Rolf Wickstrom at Akkurat a couple of years ago. A great evening, pity just with the restaurant tables in front of the stage.

Re: Mick Taylor on Fasching 16 dec
Posted by: Deidre ()
Date: December 17, 2004 11:08

You lucky Swede.

I've seen him three times and not had Breaking Down or Ventilator.

I'll have to go see him in Sweden then!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 17, 2004 13:16

1st set:
Kiddie-oh (without MT)
Honey Hush (without MT)
Stop Breaking Down
Fed Up With The Blues
Losing My Faith
Alabama
Taking Care Of Business

2nd set:
Explorer (without MT)
Midnight Fantasy (without MT)
Ventilator Blues
You Gotta Move
I Wonder Why
Blind Willie McTell (including parts of Layla and All Along The Watchtower)
Can't You Hear Me Knocking (instrumental)

Encore:
No Expectations

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 17, 2004 18:38

How much do you think he charges?

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: December 18, 2004 01:38

Damn. I live in Stockholm close to Fashing. Great. Missed it. Or did I?

Date: December 18, 2004 02:23

What do you think?

Posted by: mago ()
Date: December 18, 2004 16:07

Yesterday Mick Taylor and Ventus Blues Band played in Gislaved in the deep forests of Smaland. A place smaller than even Dodge City of Kansas. Smaland is I would say the mid west of Sweden. A rubber industry town where nothing normally happens, sorry folks from there! Tonight Mick plays in Vasteras at least a medium size city. The band cannot make too much money, based on the entrance fees but since Swedes drinks a lot of beer, it´s still probably not too bad. I would guess Mick Taylor certainly gets 50.000 sek per night, that´s 7.500 USD. A not too well known Swedish Pop or Rock Band normally charges 70.000-100.000 per night, while Cardigans charges up to 2 mill sek.

If you saw Taylor in Gislaved, please report. I found the performance at Fasching great, especially the tracks from Exile, which I´ve never heard the Stones perform and I got a totally new feeling for them both Stop Breaking Down and Ventilator Blues, were they really that good!

Thanks Erik for the set list.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 18, 2004 22:13

Shorter set in Gislaved last night. "Hip Shake" was played, replacing CYHMK.

Date: December 19, 2004 02:56

Hip Shake! Lucky old Sweden.

I'd always assumed Taylor did the lead to that one on Exile, until I saw the Monreux '72 rehearsals, where it's clearly Keith doing it. So I presume it's Keith on record too?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 19, 2004 22:07

Yes, actually 3 of the Nordic Stones Vikings decided to go to Gislaved, after we parted with the rest of NSV in Stockholm. So we got hold of a driver that took us 400 km to Gislaved!! (some wives were NOT amused...).
It was a totally different surrounding compared to Fasching, lot´s of people who had no idea who he is. A quick phonecall to the Wentus Blues Band, and we were on the guestlist! Actually you can´t find a nicer bunch of guys than Wentus, thanks a lot! And their own songs are really, really good!

Anyway, as Mago already explained Gislaved is a completely different place, compared to Fasching were people were told to not cheer to much or move around. In Gislaved he played one set wich was crowned with a Hipshake that was closer to ZZ Top than the Stones. Fantastic!
Also, if I compare Fasching to Gislaved, he seemed a bit off at Fasching. But in Gislaved he moved to the music, smiled, and he let the 2 excellent guitarplayers in Wentus have more solos so the songs were probably a bit longer. No CYHMK, but Blind Willie McTell was outstanding as he included some riffing similar to Brown Sugar!

The first night at Fasching we waited to meet Mick, so when the place was nearly empty, we were allowed to meet him backstage, one at the time.
So we had brought lots of stuff for him to sign, wich he did not mind, but he did not want to take pictures (as I said, he was a bit off). He was also presented with a NSV t-shirt.
I brought all the artwork for the CD:s from his time with the Stones.
So I said: Hi Mick, my name is Vilhelm, would you mind signing these for me?
"No problem" he said.
"Mick, just wanted to let you know, that your sound is fantastic, it´´s like honey dripping from the speakers". (Really stupid, but hey, what would you say?)
"You think so?, To me it sounds like blob....!

Next night in Gislaved, when he saw us, he said "Oh, some old friends of mine, the musicologists!
And he then renamed "Alabama" to "Alabama Honeydripping"!!!smiling smiley

So Fasching was fantastic, Gislaved was ROCKING!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2004-12-19 23:05 by mickijaggeroo.

Posted by: coc59100 ()
Date: December 19, 2004 22:46

We were there too. We saw alot. We wanna know what you saw. Tis is an open line....
We thought it was great. We got a couple of hours with Taylor backstage, and we had a great time. We talked about the sixties, and the time with John Mayall´s bluesbreakers and just a little bit about the Stones. He´s not that comfortable talking about the Stones. Sensitive stuff... But he was happy, and we had quite a few laughs.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 19, 2004 22:56

Great review Vilhelm.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: February 7, 2013 13:05

great!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 7, 2013 14:02

mickijaggeroo
Yes, actually 3 of the Nordic Stones Vikings decided to go to Gislaved, after we parted with the rest of NSV in Stockholm. So we got hold of a driver that took us 400 km to Gislaved!! (some wives were NOT amused...).
It was a totally different surrounding compared to Fasching, lot´s of people who had no idea who he is. A quick phonecall to the Wentus Blues Band, and we were on the guestlist! Actually you can´t find a nicer bunch of guys than Wentus, thanks a lot! And their own songs are really, really good!

Anyway, as Mago already explained Gislaved is a completely different place, compared to Fasching were people were told to not cheer to much or move around. In Gislaved he played one set wich was crowned with a Hipshake that was closer to ZZ Top than the Stones. Fantastic!
Also, if I compare Fasching to Gislaved, he seemed a bit off at Fasching. But in Gislaved he moved to the music, smiled, and he let the 2 excellent guitarplayers in Wentus have more solos so the songs were probably a bit longer. No CYHMK, but Blind Willie McTell was outstanding as he included some riffing similar to Brown Sugar!

The first night at Fasching we waited to meet Mick, so when the place was nearly empty, we were allowed to meet him backstage, one at the time.
So we had brought lots of stuff for him to sign, wich he did not mind, but he did not want to take pictures (as I said, he was a bit off). He was also presented with a NSV t-shirt.
I brought all the artwork for the CD:s from his time with the Stones.
So I said: Hi Mick, my name is Vilhelm, would you mind signing these for me?
"No problem" he said.
"Mick, just wanted to let you know, that your sound is fantastic, it´´s like honey dripping from the speakers". (Really stupid, but hey, what would you say?)
"You think so?, To me it sounds like blob....!

Next night in Gislaved, when he saw us, he said "Oh, some old friends of mine, the musicologists!
And he then renamed "Alabama" to "Alabama Honeydripping"!!!smiling smiley

So Fasching was fantastic, Gislaved was ROCKING!
very cool .you are so lucky !!!!!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 7, 2013 14:48

"December 17, 2004" >grinning smiley<

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 7, 2013 14:56

introduced Mick Taylor as the greatest guitar player in the world

Seems to be quite a few "greatest guitar player in the world" claims.

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:43

I'm so jealous...would like to see mick so terribly...
you`re really lucky onessmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home