Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones' riffs
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 10, 2023 18:26

Keith isofcourse the riffmaster, but have Brian , Taylor, Jagger, or Wood ever come up with a riff for a song.The only one Ican think of is Brian on the Last Time.Bill also claims he wrote the riff for JJ Flash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-12 18:10 by bv.

Re: Stone’s riffs
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 10, 2023 18:44

Taylor1
Keith isofcourse the riffmaster, but have Brian , Taylor, Jagger, or Wood ever come up with a riff for a song.The only one Ican think of is Brian on the Last Time.Bill also claims he wrote the riff for JJ Flash

All that the tracks that have Wood as a co-writer are based around a riff he provided.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 10, 2023 18:52

If by riff we mean a distinguishable guitar intro, I would say that Jagger produced quite some good/great ones (Sway, Moonlight Mile, Stop Breaking Down, Undercover just to name a few).

C

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 10, 2023 19:05

...eh...?

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 10, 2023 19:06

Keith gives credit to Mick for Brown Sugar, which is one of their most recognizable riffs.

Date: October 10, 2023 19:26

Taylor1

I don't know who wrote it, but Taylor plays the riff on Bitch.

Mick wrote and played the Moonlight Mile-riff.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2023 03:41

Stones' not Stone's

Date: October 11, 2023 12:41

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Sometimes we run things down... sometimes we get an idea for a song from, say, a rhythm that Charlie and Keith have played together or something, or like Bitch that Charlie and Bobby (Keys) and me played. Quite often, we go into it without the song being written - which annoys me intensely. But that's the way we record sometimes.

- Mick Jagger, 1971

When we were doing Bitch, Keith was very late. Jagger and Mick Taylor had been playing the song without him and it didn't sound very good. I walked out of the kitchen and he was sitting on the floor with no shoes, eating a bowl of cereal. Suddenly he said, Oi, Andy! Give me that guitar. I handed him his clear Dan Armstrong Plexiglass guitar, he put it on, kicked the song up in tempo, and just put the vibe right on it. Instantly, it went from being this laconic mess into a real groove. And I thought, Wow. THAT'S what he does.

- Andy Johns, 2007

So, from these statements it appears to be a riff by Jagger and Keys, played by Taylor when Keith was out.

Mathijs

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 12, 2023 03:24

liddas
If by riff we mean a distinguishable guitar intro, I would say that Jagger produced quite some good/great ones (Sway, Moonlight Mile, Stop Breaking Down, Undercover just to name a few).

C

Brown Sugar and Miss You especially.

Date: October 12, 2023 10:57

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Sometimes we run things down... sometimes we get an idea for a song from, say, a rhythm that Charlie and Keith have played together or something, or like Bitch that Charlie and Bobby (Keys) and me played. Quite often, we go into it without the song being written - which annoys me intensely. But that's the way we record sometimes.

- Mick Jagger, 1971

When we were doing Bitch, Keith was very late. Jagger and Mick Taylor had been playing the song without him and it didn't sound very good. I walked out of the kitchen and he was sitting on the floor with no shoes, eating a bowl of cereal. Suddenly he said, Oi, Andy! Give me that guitar. I handed him his clear Dan Armstrong Plexiglass guitar, he put it on, kicked the song up in tempo, and just put the vibe right on it. Instantly, it went from being this laconic mess into a real groove. And I thought, Wow. THAT'S what he does.

- Andy Johns, 2007

So, from these statements it appears to be a riff by Jagger and Keys, played by Taylor when Keith was out.

Mathijs

Yeah, that's what I had in the back of my mind. It sounds like a typical horn riff, so I suspect Bobby came up with it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 12, 2023 11:53

A lot of keith's riffs and fills could be horn parts or "stabs".

He's probably as much inspired and influenced by what horns do as he is by guitar players.

Date: October 12, 2023 13:02

GasLightStreet
liddas

C

Brown Sugar and Miss You especially.

While there is no doubt that the song was composed by Mick, I am quite sure that all the open G arrangements (during the chorus for example) and - above all - the intro riff of Brown Sugar are 100% Keith's idea.

With miss you, my idea, trying to decipher and make sense of the various quotes form Time On Our Side, is that it all started with Mick playing guitar and singing along Billie's grove. I am sure that he played the basic chords as he's always done live, and that he SANG the famous riff. When Keith and Ronnie added their parts, they replicated the vocal riff with their guitars.

C

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 12, 2023 13:31

liddas

C

Lol.

Date: October 12, 2023 14:03

Can't you hear me knocking is still on of my favourite intro riffs. It works like a strong cup of black coffee.

Date: October 12, 2023 14:53

liddas

While there is no doubt that the song was composed by Mick, I am quite sure that all the open G arrangements (during the chorus for example) and - above all - the intro riff of Brown Sugar are 100% Keith's idea.

C

From the MSG footage of Mick playing it, it appears he had the song worked out for 90%. Keith added his own time signature to it, and the little fills during the chorus, but I'd say it's 90% Mick.

Mathijs

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 12, 2023 15:02

Mathijs
liddas

C

From the MSG footage of Mick playing it, it appears he had the song worked out for 90%. Keith added his own time signature to it, and the little fills during the chorus, but I'd say it's 90% Mick.

Mathijs

Is this the clip where he plays it for Ike & Tina? Looks like he is using open G chords.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 12, 2023 15:13

I'd wager that Mick copped that tuning from Keith right from the start of him using it..

Even if for no other reason than it's being such a fun way to play the guitar...

[...especially for those of us perhaps lacking a little technical virtuosity grinning smiley ]

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 12, 2023 15:29

Spud
I'd wager that Mick copped that tuning from Keith right from the start of him using it..

Even if for no other reason than it's being such a fun way to play the guitar...

[...especially for those of us perhaps lacking a little technical virtuosity grinning smiley ]

yeah, and once you have it in open G than the riff is the most natural thing to play

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 12, 2023 15:51

Bill Wyman gets Paint It Black and JJF if I'm not mistaken, and I certainly may be. If not those, In Another Land (hey, does that even have a riff?!).

Date: October 12, 2023 16:37

Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

I don't know if we are saying the same thing, but what I meant is that the song is Mick Jagger, but the opening riff on the studio version is Keith (the C/G C/F x4), In fact in the MSG footage you can see Mick starting the song from the following part (the descending progerssion starting with the Eb or whatever that chord is)

C

Date: October 12, 2023 17:43

From the fact checkers on here over the past decade we can finally see that all the best guitar work from the Stones was created by Jagger, Wyman, Taylor, Jones, Perkins, Parsons, Wood, Richards didn't really need to show up.

Re: Stones' riffs
Date: October 12, 2023 22:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-12 22:52 by keefriffhards.

Re: Stones' riffs
Date: October 12, 2023 22:52

Should I really need to be putting out fires like this can't we all celebrate the genius and gift of Keith Richards together as one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 23:27 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 13, 2023 05:33

liddas
Mathijs
liddas

C

Mathijs

I don't know if we are saying the same thing, but what I meant is that the song is Mick Jagger, but the opening riff on the studio version is Keith (the C/G C/F x4), In fact in the MSG footage you can see Mick starting the song from the following part (the descending progerssion starting with the Eb or whatever that chord is)

C

Mick had the idea. Just because the beginning isn't shown doesn't mean he didn't have it before, then or later.

Of course Keith MADE THE LICK what it is.

In regard to Miss You, Mick obviously had the melody, which Keith and Ronnie play from the get go and expand upon and within.

There's not a lot to it, really, the vocal melody and the guitar melody matching up.

One could easily understand Keith saying, It goes BAH NAH NAHNT... but could someone understand Keith saying It goes Danownownownownownaanaananant?

HA HA yeah probably a lot of here could. Mick certainly was superbly able to generate a phrase to match Keith's brilliant stabbing melodic riffage.

Those are melodies, absolutely, and that's where Miss You sticks out - vowel and guitar melodies.

Brown Sugar is easily BERNT BERRNT DAH DAHNT NA-NAHH-NA-NAHHH. But it has nothing to do with the vocal melody.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1845
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home