Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: so it was Mick all along
Date: December 21, 2012 15:19

straycatblues73
Naturalust
Mick can play guitar fine. Give him a break. In fact he can probably rip better or at least as good as Keith these days.

Who here wouldn't pay to see Mick solo with a guitar and a piano playing some of the great tunes he has written. I think it's the extra musicians and production that has got in the way of his solo work. If they were produced as Stones songs we would all be talking about them still. peace

go back to "schoolboy blues " ( to keep it clean ) and you have what you talk about , a singer playing a blues in a minor key with enough guitar picking and stuff to be classed as a class song , (not to be played in front of your mother !).

Isn't it just plain strumming in Am and Dm?

Mick is a bit too "on" the beat in his rhythm playing to carry songs or make them intersting enough by himself, imo.

I like his F maj-progressions on Waiting On A Friend live, though. Sometimes it's suitable.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 21, 2012 15:41

Yeah Keith has that little extra magic that you can see at work on the "Mixed Emotions" recording session (yes I know some say it's acted). Mick uses straightforward chords most of the time, except on D&G interestingly enough. That's one of the (slight) problems with "Wandering Spirit" that was produced like a Stones album unlike the others but lacks that "creativity', case in point "Don't Tear Me Up". Although Keith has been known to do that too, like on "Too Tough".

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: December 21, 2012 15:51

DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73
Naturalust
Mick can play guitar fine. Give him a break. In fact he can probably rip better or at least as good as Keith these days.

Who here wouldn't pay to see Mick solo with a guitar and a piano playing some of the great tunes he has written. I think it's the extra musicians and production that has got in the way of his solo work. If they were produced as Stones songs we would all be talking about them still. peace

go back to "schoolboy blues " ( to keep it clean ) and you have what you talk about , a singer playing a blues in a minor key with enough guitar picking and stuff to be classed as a class song , (not to be played in front of your mother !).

Isn't it just plain strumming in Am and Dm?

Mick is a bit too "on" the beat in his rhythm playing to carry songs or make them intersting enough by himself, imo.

I like his F maj-progressions on Waiting On A Friend live, though. Sometimes it's suitable.

you're right my friend , but it's more than just beginners strumming , you know , lifting fingers and ,for example , playing a high A (Dm at 5th fret) before going back to Am .
All very exiting for us in the early 70s

nothing spectacular but would be great to see as a solo song /spot .

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 21, 2012 16:14

Well, by now, Mick has quite a back catalog - equal to a career for most. Six solo albums (She's the Boss, Primitive Cool, Wandering Spirit, Goddess, Alfie and Super Heavy), only one of which (Wandering Spirit) is even remotely as interesting as the worst Stone album (Dirty Work); 15 or 20 singles, of which the only two that made the top ten were putrid duets with Michael Jackson and David Bowie; a laughably bad movie (Running Out of Luck); and a tour with a group of technically superb musicians that sounded like a Stones cover band (Tokyo is widely booted).

So the question is: do we really want Jagger to do anything without the support of the Stones?

Posted by: howled ()
Date: December 21, 2012 16:17

Keith is pretty good on Acoustic and uses Acoustic in different ways and he can fingerpick and there are also the open tunings, sus4, Chuck things that Keith does and Keith swings and he even writes songs as well.

All that is a big part of the Stones and it's Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-21 16:19 by howled.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: December 21, 2012 16:54

It was Barzini all along

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 21, 2012 17:55

reg thorpe
It was Barzini all along

grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home