Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Half a century ago, Angie, how was the song received in your country?
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 13, 2023 04:04

For the Japanese fans who were devastated by the cancellation of the show in Japan the same year, the song may have come as a big surprise.
Angie soon dominated the music charts.

Above all, watching the moving Stones on TV was just overwhelming for me.
Keith on the acoustic, a beautiful piano melody and a rose on Jagger.
I was daydreaming all that day.

The sales copy from the ad above is as follows.

We'll finally satisfy our unstoppable hunger that we couldn't fulfill due to the tour cancellation in Japan earlier this year.
This is the latest album recorded in Jamaica by the world's greatest rock band Rolling Stones.
All songs have a recognizable tune.
They have revealed a new dimension of their music.
Go ahead and listen.
The latest and the greatest Rolling Stones.

Re: Half a century ago, Angie, how was the song received in your country?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 13, 2023 04:22

It was received very well in the US becoming a #1 hit on the Billboard charts, and it's always been an all time favorite of mine by any band.
I loved it then and still love it now, and I've always loved it whenever I've seen them play it live. Angie...everywhere I look I see your eyes...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 13, 2023 07:11

Huge hit in the States. A ballad after some hard rocking singles. One of those rare songs that stops you in your tracks. It really sounded like he was singing about the end of the band. The whole album did.

Date: August 13, 2023 08:04

Very underrated. Deserves to be listened more to from me. Instrumental version also nice. Great piano

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 13, 2023 12:20

I still enjoy this song and in 1973, it reached nr 1 in the Dutch top charts and was played live in the Ahoy in Rotterdam 1973 - great memories

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 13, 2023 12:27

Best hit of the RS in Italy since 1963 and till when Streets of Love went #1

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 13, 2023 13:00

Toru A

Angie soon dominated the music charts.

Angie - international chart positions: [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: August 13, 2023 13:55

Big in Latin America

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 13, 2023 14:27

No airplay and no sales whatsoever. But we had a 'special atmosphere' in the USSR back in 1973.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 13, 2023 14:47

This anniversary should have suggested a special celebration, but it seems Universal has missed a good opportunity

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 13, 2023 14:57

Huge Worldwide hit but strangely only No 5 in their home country! I used to work with a woman called Angie here and she'd never heard of it until I told her.

I have a fair few Polish friends and the song seems to be very well known there even amongst non fans so presumably a huge smash there. A real pity they've never played it live there because it would go down a storm.

It's clearly quite hard on Mick's voice because I believe he hasn't sung all 3 verses live since 81/82. It's been 2 verses only since Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle as far as I know though.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 13, 2023 15:50

Received very well in my living room as a 13 year old with a cassette recorder and a microphone propped up in front of the TV speaker......(first Stones song)..........a couple of weeks later GHS and then,,, Exile....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-13 19:56 by EddieByword.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 13, 2023 17:13

I didn't care about it when it was first released. I was only three years old back then. But I didn't change my mind about that song during the following 50 years…

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 13, 2023 17:34

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I was a teenager back when it was released, and despite it being a huge hit, to this day I have never once heard it on the radio.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2023 18:30

1963luca0
Best hit of the RS in Italy since 1963

Probably the same in France where it was number 1. The irony is this ballad cemented the reputation of the band as the most important rock band of its era.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 14, 2023 03:58

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Very underrated. Deserves to be listened more to from me. Instrumental version also nice. Great piano

It’s not underrated. It reached number 1 on the charts. It’s been a fan favorite live for years and years. It’s always listed as one of The Stones top ballads. It has always given the credit it deserves.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2023 05:36

blivet
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I was a teenager back when it was released, and despite it being a huge hit, to this day I have never once heard it on the radio.

Where were you? I was in the midwest of the States in fall '73. At the time I was working in a warehouse. They had a radio on all the time. Heard Angie about every hour. Also remember Grand Funk's We're An American Band. Edgar Winter's Frankenstein from that time period.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 14, 2023 05:49

It was not a favorite of mine.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 14, 2023 06:49

I have never liked Angie from Day One. Still don’t.
Over-sentimental for my taste. Something of schmalzy.
Maybe that’s why this song became quite a radio hit in Japan (No. 26 in the Oricon singles chart) — among the melancholy-embracing nation.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 14, 2023 12:29

I was 12.
I heard it in the radio first.
I was carried away.
I got an idea of Love and a glimmer of the existence of being in love with somebody. And that love can hurt you.
I was like a window into the future.
It make me feel sad.
And strong.
In the same time.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 14, 2023 12:36

Angie broadened the rolling stones's commercial appeal. It went deep ; older people, people who did not like them before were seduced by Angie. At that stage of their career it was remarkable. Angie was on the radios all the time (France).
In my opinion it is a great song. I trust the song, I let it take me over each time I listen to it; I don't resist emotonnal arrest by Angie, I think it 's for the best.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 14, 2023 12:54

rollmops
Angie broadened the rolling stones's commercial appeal. It went deep ; older people, people who did not like them before were seduced by Angie. At that stage of their career it was remarkable. Angie was on the radios all the time (France).
In my opinion it is a great song. I trust the song, I let it take me over each time I listen to it; I don't resist emotonnal arrest by Angie, I think it 's for the best.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Like that expression!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 14, 2023 15:56

rollmops

In my opinion it is a great song. I trust the song, I let it take me over each time I listen to it; I don't resist emotonnal arrest by Angie

Mops

Imho WH is better and more noble.
If songs were women Angie would wear a leather miniskirt and too much make-up, while WH would be dressed with restraint.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 14, 2023 20:37

If songs were women, Angie would wear a leather miniskirt

That sounds more like Amanda Jones

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: August 14, 2023 21:00

In Mexico is the Stones Ballad most known in general culture...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 14, 2023 22:51

Angie was In Holland a very big HIT 4 weeks on number 1 and 10 weeks in the top 10 and total of 23 weeks in de TOP40

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 14, 2023 23:33

What I find weird is that although it is one of the best known Stones songs that really everybody knows it never became a warhorse.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 14, 2023 23:48

grzegorz67
Huge Worldwide hit but strangely only No 5 in their home country! I used to work with a woman called Angie here and she'd never heard of it until I told her.

I have a fair few Polish friends and the song seems to be very well known there even amongst non fans so presumably a huge smash there. A real pity they've never played it live there because it would go down a storm.

It's clearly quite hard on Mick's voice because I believe he hasn't sung all 3 verses live since 81/82. It's been 2 verses only since Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle as far as I know though.

That's one reason I don't like live versions, because they cut out a verse! Same as Like a Rolling Stone, he cuts out a verse.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2023 23:48

StonedRambler
What I find weird is that although it is one of the best known Stones songs that really everybody knows it never became a warhorse.

According to setlistfm.com, Angie is #21 on the list of most performed Stones tunes having been played 261 times. That's quite a bit more than Wild Horses which ranks at #38 having been played only 155 times.
Maybe not a "warhorse" in the same league as JJF, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, HTW, Sympathy, or Start Me Up, etc., but Angie ranking as high as #21 says a lot about it's popularity, and the fact the Stones enjoy playing it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-14 23:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 15, 2023 00:10

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home