Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Crossfire Hurricane - Your Review Please.
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 19, 2012 18:46

DiamondDog7
I was looking forward to see Crossfire Hurricane. It was to fun to see, but afterwards I felt slightly disappointed...

Yes I know what you mean.

This band STILL needs a Beatles type Anthology... jeeze.. they have more than enough material.

About 5 times more than the Beatles had.

Will they do the "warts and all" though?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 19, 2012 18:51

I think the right time was now for such a historical anthology, but that moment has just been wasted on this film.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 19, 2012 19:56

24FPS

I think 'Crossfire', like the movie 'Chaplin' is good for the novice. Then you go back and pick up the details. I see it as a missed opportunity, though. People like Anita and Marianne and Bianca and Linda Keith and Chrissie Shrimpton and Shirley Watts (if she'd cooperate) and Astrid and Dianne Wyman need to be interviewed for their insider observations. Or Chuck Berry on what he really thought of the group. We are in danger of losing these people and we may never hear their stories.

That would be awesome, but Mick would never allow that...for these people to basically write the Stones history from their POV. Never happen, but you are correct in that the women were like witness and often victims to the band's history and evolutions...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2012 19:59

24FPS
The first thought I had afterwards was of the 'Chaplin' film with Robert Downey Jr. I took a fantastic class on Chaplin in college and saw every single thing he filmed in chronological order and our professor had us read books on Chaplin's personal life. Then when I saw the 'Chaplin' film I had this feeling of rushing through a grand life on a train, passing through stations quickly with no time to linger.

Because of the 50th Anniversary I think we were expecting some depth. What we got were highlights of the most highlighted times. I felt a little cheated because I just watched 'Charlie Is My Darling' last week, before seeing 'Crossfire', and they used a lot of it. Just like they lifted from all the well known documentaries. Someone earlier said that it was fascinating to see what had been still photos come to life. Yes, it was, but why can't we see all the footage of them in drag for the 'Have You Seen Your Mother' shoot?

It does seem like you could shuffle 'Crossfire' and '25X5' into each other and come up with a more complete documentary. At least you'd get to 1989. And you'd see how their attitudes towards Brian have softened. I still think Keith's reasons for not going to the funeral are total horseshit. There was guilt there and he didn't want to deal with it.

I think 'Crossfire', like the movie 'Chaplin' is good for the novice. Then you go back and pick up the details. I see it as a missed opportunity, though. People like Anita and Marianne and Bianca and Linda Keith and Chrissie Shrimpton and Shirley Watts (if she'd cooperate) and Astrid and Dianne Wyman need to be interviewed for their insider observations. Or Chuck Berry on what he really thought of the group. We are in danger of losing these people and we may never hear their stories.

'Crossfire' only scratches the surface. It's time the Stones put together their own Anthology. They need to get going on it. Maybe '25X5' seems dated because of the talking head segments with the Stones in late 80s hairstyles. But 'Crossfire' is just as distinctive from the slight weakness in 76-year-old Bill Wyman's voice. Or the gruff old voice of Mick Taylor. The surviving Beatles were in their mid-50s when they did their Anthology. Now one of them is gone.

Wow 24FPS that is a good post. I couldn't agree more, well said. peace

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: November 19, 2012 21:04

Although I enjoyed Crossfire Hurricane I still think that the Stones need a definitive documentary. This of course won't happen until they are disbanded or dead. The archives will open fully then and hopefully some clever, passionate fan will be allowed to direct it. It will of course be much too long for the conventional film release but it could be magic. I've even got lots of ideas for such a project!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2012 21:18

I was a little shocked to see Brian's funeral pop from still photos to color footage of his grieving parents. I still think it's worth noting the coffin in the glass hearse was provided by Bob Dylan. You can tell Mick and Keith, and even Charlie, are still uncomfortable talking about the firing. Of course they had to do it, but they still seem unable to face it, and his death. They tried for years to sound hard about it, but you can tell there's a continuing sadness. Bill's the only one honest about it all these years. It's like that annoying family member you wish would go away, and then when they do....

Date: November 20, 2012 01:44

Saw the whole thing now...

The movie is a joke really. All the big talk of lots of unseen footage, hours of interviews and that's the best he could do!?

A shit film by a shit director. thumbs down

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: November 21, 2012 02:02

band like the stones should have done a better movie than this one,like jagger said not have enough time,they knew the 50TH ANVI was coming.

Date: November 21, 2012 08:15

79 HOURS of interviews basically wasted. We thought we were getting one thing, and we ended up with an Informercial. You spend five days with Bill Wyman and all we get is that girls piss their chuddies when they get excited? Most all of us will never see an ambitious Rolling Stones Anthology in our lifetimes. First off Mick's fingers will have to be pried off the control levers, and that ain't happening till he's dead. (Which I'm not requesting.) And he'll probably outlive most of us. His father, Basil Fanshawe (Joe) Jagger, lived to 93!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 21, 2012 08:20

People, keep in mind that the Beatles' ANTHOLOGY came many, many years after that band ceased to exist. The Rolling Stones are still kicking -- they're not due for an exhaustive overview yet imo.

Date: November 21, 2012 11:25

Glam Descendant
People, keep in mind that the Beatles' ANTHOLOGY came many, many years after that band ceased to exist. The Rolling Stones are still kicking -- they're not due for an exhaustive overview yet imo.

But the problem is that the Beatles quit in their late 20s and did the Anthology about 25 years later. That can't happen with this bunch. People have to be interviewed now. There's so many already gone. We'll never know what Billy Preston or Nicky thought. It's bad enough we'll never know Brian's side of things. I think it's safe to say the band won't be continuing for too much longer. Screw Mick's 'Don't Look Back' attitude. The Stones belong to the world.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: November 22, 2012 02:51

Disappointing

SOUL

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 22, 2012 03:10

Working within a two-hour framework, I think the director did a brilliant job.

Making a film entails making millions of decisions, and I think he made all the right ones.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 22, 2012 04:34

i saw a few bits that i've never seen before so that was very nice.

with sssoul, you still out there? There was an ADORABLE little snippet of Keith when they were doing the part of swinging London. He was in the studio and so danged CUTE! Do you know where this footage is from, who took it etc - anything?

Here's a screencap of what I mean.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: November 22, 2012 11:45

The cat that got the milk. ^

It is footage most likley shot by Peter Whitehead from 1967, same with the Brian footage with tamboura. Seems to be unused stuff from We Love You promo filming, it used to be up on ABKCOs site a few years back.

Screengrabs from ABKCO site.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-22 11:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: November 22, 2012 18:41

Part one reminded me of how lucky I was to get out alive.. I am in part 2..4 minutes in with a hideous tie even though I was around for the time of the first half of the film

I enjoyed it even though they never interviewed me...

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: November 22, 2012 19:56

His Majesty
The cat that got the milk. ^

It is footage most likley shot by Peter Whitehead from 1967, same with the Brian footage with tamboura. Seems to be unused stuff from We Love You promo filming, it used to be up on ABKCOs site a few years back.

Screengrabs from ABKCO site.

His Majesty - thank you for the info and additional shots!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 8, 2012 10:38

Isn't he just ... ahem I mean! I concur with His Majesty.
Thanks for the gorgeous screen capture, CindyC!

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: August 1, 2013 17:57

I'm rather grateful for the documentary as it rekindled my interest in the Rolling Stones; and that's a very good thing! As far as entertainment value is concerned, I'd definitely give it an A. I got a kick out of the 60's footage of the female fans (and boys as well) rushing the stage or chasing the band after their shows. The remarks of how the little girls were wetting their panties and streams of urine in the concert halls were hilarious.

But I found the material rather disjointed. The footage did not always match the dialogue and there were huge gaps in the historical timeline of the band. If you didn't know any better, you would think that the group went straight to Nellcote after Altamont, or that Mick Taylor left the band after the 1973 Pacific Tour. However,I liked that film of the band in the Australian hotel room; never saw that before.

So, once again, there's a fair amount of disinformation that seems to plague this band which is always very discouraging. Plus, why keep pressing the issue of why Mick Taylor left the band? Swear to God one would think he left a gang or a cult (maybe there's some truth to that) and not a rock band! How could the director expect a completely honest answer on the eve of a new tour, one that Taylor was asked to join. Maybe his answer was scripted who knows. Leaving to protect his family from drugs or a drug-fueled lifestyle (or something to that effect). He immediately hooked up with Jack Bruce who's a serious addict and Taylor's wife was a dealer. Just read chapter 11 in Jack Bruce's recent biography. Maybe lies and disinformation would be an interesting topic for a new thread.

Another complaint would be the beginning of the documentary where the band members were interviewed but no cameras were allowed in the room. To me it was just feeding into western society's age phobia. These guys are in their sixties and seventies and ready to rock'n roll. Many guys their age are wearing diapers and using walkers. I think that was in poor taste. They should embrace their age and what they're still capable of doing!cool smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 1, 2013 18:24

Great review, Jane. As for Taylor and Bruce, listen to (the end of) this interview with Taylor (about him living in and leaving the Stones). It shows that Taylor wasn't (fully) aware of Bruce's drug addiction at that time:

Date: August 1, 2013 18:59

Kleermaker,

I'm using my sister's computer at home and, for some strange reason, for the past several weeks I haven't been able to download any videos posted on this forum which includes this one and the Sway video you posted on the Favorite Rolling Stone thread. Have to get my brother to take a look at it. I'm a true techno-idiot!!

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that Taylor wouldn't have known that Jack Bruce was an addict. Didn't Andy Johns, who worked with Jack, tell Mick Taylor that he needed a guitarist for his new band? Andy's addiction problems were well known. So I'm a bit skeptical that M.T. wouldn't have known this if not from John's mouth, at least through the grapevine. I could be wrong.

By the way, I enjoy your videos of the Rolling Stones on You Tube. It'll take me a million years to view them all. A true treasure trove! Next on my list is watching the 1973 Tour Fragments!!! I'd especially like to see the interview with Taylor living in the Stones. Can I find that on You Tube? My opinion is that I feel their lifestyle had a cult-like structure. They lived in a bubble or sorts, they had caretakers for not only their kids but themselves, unlimited access to everything really, and they appeared to blindly follow their charismatic leader, Mick Jagger, without too much choice in the matter. Kind of lived like children without a care in the world. Not too healthy, really. I always thought of the Stones as a lovely and sometimes not so lovely bunch of coconuts. I say this with love in my heart!!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 2, 2013 14:12

disappointing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!why only till 1981. I dont agree with the reasoning behind it.

No, not worth seeing at all.

jeroen

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: August 2, 2013 17:22

The movie sucks, seen 99% of footage.......zzzzzzz

Date: August 2, 2013 17:51

Bellajane

I'd especially like to see the interview with Taylor living in the Stones. Can I find that on You Tube?

Dear Lady Jane, see the video I posted up here, the 2001 interview. The interviewer is horrible, interrupting Taylor a million times in bad English, but Taylor is patient and has sense of humour. It's worth wile to listen to it.

Date: August 2, 2013 18:09

Okay...I just found it on You Tube. I'm at work now and watching You Tube videos is really not advisable. I'll check it out when I get home later tonight. Also, there is a series of On the Road with Mick Taylor, as well, if I'm not mistaken. That's a must see. So much to watch and listen to, so little time!!

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: August 2, 2013 18:10

There will never be a Beatles-like Anthology of the Rolling Stones. Neither a film nor an exhaustive 'vault' collection of music.

It's WAY too late for that--nobody cares anymore. Not cost effective at this point.

Date: August 2, 2013 18:21

Bellajane
Okay...I just found it on You Tube. I'm at work now and watching You Tube videos is really not advisable. I'll check it out when I get home later tonight. Also, there is a series of On the Road with Mick Taylor, as well, if I'm not mistaken. That's a must see. So much to watch and listen to, so little time!!

Life is simply too short for us Stones music lovers.

Date: August 2, 2013 18:44

Well, they've been around a long, long time. A lot of ground to cover, which is a good thing for the fans. I liked the early years with Brian Jones and Mick Taylor the best. I just don't care for the music that much after M.T. left....to each their own I guess..although I do like the song Mixed Emotions! smiling smiley

Date: August 2, 2013 18:50

Bellajane
Well, they've been around a long, long time. A lot of ground to cover, which is a good thing for the fans. I liked the early years with Brian Jones and Mick Taylor the best. I just don't care for the music that much after M.T. left....to each their own I guess..although I do like the song Mixed Emotions! smiling smiley

Well then we're musical Stones soulmates, 'cause it's the same here.

Date: August 2, 2013 18:54

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2207
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home