Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Crossfire Hurricane - Your Review Please.
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 20, 2012 13:00

I haven't seen it yet but if i read the reviews, it seems to be a movie that was made quick with the meaning of, we should do something.
I expected more a kind of 25x5 about 3 hours long. The final movie of the world greatest rock and roll band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 13:46 by steffiestones.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 20, 2012 13:09

Bliss
... few would disagree that Mick T was more of a catalyst than Ronnie, or even Brian.

Lol.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 20, 2012 15:46

Redhotcarpet
Mathijs
Highlights:

1. Great footage of the Brian days, especially the intro before the curtains opened and then the mobbing onstage.
2. The Stones where really honest about Brian, his infleunce, his downfall, and that they could have done more for him.
3. Great footage of the JJF video: lots of focussing on Brian
4. Lots of outtakes could be heard: Salt of the Earth with guide vocals by Keith, the writing of Sitting on a Fence, a version of Goodtime Women that was closer to TD than the known outtake version, a different take of Moonlight Mile, Ventilator Blues and Angie

Dissapointing:

1. There was not any real, real new footage. No surprises like NME 68 footage, new '69 footage, no 70/71/73 professionally recorded concert footage except for the short snippet of Sydney 73.
2. The '70's where done by focussing on the '72 tour. Lots of new footage from backstage and in hotels, but no new footage from on stage.
3. 1975 to 1976 was done with...You Gotta Move from Abbatoirs....
4. 1978 to 1982 where combined in one strange combination of well known footage from '78 and '81, with the crowd from Barcelona 90 and Rio Copacabana.

Then it sudenly was over with a remark by Mick 'you can't stay young forever'. I thought that was really weird, we where really expecting another hour of film, or a part 2. No mention of Ian Stewart's passing, the WWIII in the 80's, Bill Wyman leaving.

A bit shocking was Jagger's reaction on Brian Jones's passing. He discussed sacking Brian, and mentioned Jones then died a couple of months later. He was corrected by the interviewer that it is was only '3 weeks later' and Jagger reacted with a, in my eyes, emotional 'oh fvck'.

Mathijs

Thanks Mathijs, interesting. This is why you cant let the subject of a documentary dictate too much. I'd pay anything to see backstage material form the 70s, all footage of Brian, anything with Keith in the mid late 70s.

The backstage material from 1972, was it cool?

Of course it was! Always nice to see new stuff. The "Brothers and Sisters" part of Altamont also had some new angles. We see Mick from the side of the stage in black/white when he's saying that. Quite a bit of new stuff, but is it there for a reason? I keep asking myself that. It's NOT the final movie of the Stones, but it's 95% the final movie on "the rise of the Stones". The last 5% is the question why they left out something like Stu. That's why it never rises above 25X5 and Let It Bleed. It's up there, but not all the way. We haven't got any docu that tells all of it and goes all the way while doing so. And that's what we need.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 20, 2012 15:50

JumpingKentFlash
We haven't got any docu that tells all of it and goes all the way while doing so. And that's what we need.

That's what we want, but you know how the song goes.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 20, 2012 15:52

Does anyone know if it's being shown at cinemas in the UK generaly now? Or was it just a one off screening until the tv BBC showing and the dvd...still not seen it yet & want to today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-20 15:54 by brownsugar86.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 20, 2012 16:01

I haven't see it either yet....but reading the "negative" and good reviews I think it's a great documentation (I love the pre 1982 stuff)

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: October 21, 2012 18:17

Date: October 21, 2012 18:26

brownsugar86
Review of CH

eye popping smiley

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 21, 2012 18:36

Not so good review...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 21, 2012 19:09

Justin
Doxa
Justin
Was there any footage of the Stones rehearsing together from the December 2011 and/or Spring 2012 jams? A lot of people seemed to write off those jams as simply them getting together to film for the documentary. Well, was that footage included?

Maybe those jams weren't so exciting and fabulous as the director claimed them to be.

- Doxa

Uh yeah...ok..I guess? But everyone is confirming that the film's story ends around 1981...why would the director even insert any 2011 rehearsal footage at all? Even if it was kick ass footage..how does it fit in the context of this film? They add a small portion of "All Down The Line" from SAL probably to establish that they still were touring in the 2000's...but I don't see how random rehearsal footage would really fit? If anything, maybe it's a special feature on the DVD but even that seems out of place.

It may have fit with a sketched-out plan of the editing. Maybe they were going to include the whole story at one point (80's, WWIII, Vegas up to ABcool smiley, which would justify the new footage.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 21, 2012 20:27

No point in an Anthology-style documentary yet. The band is still active. Therefore there is more point in focusing on the essentials of the band.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 21, 2012 20:36

steffiestones
Not so good review...

It saved me from parting with future monies.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 21, 2012 20:38

brownsugar86
Review of CH

Wow, that was ruthless. Well, it is what it is. Perhaps, one day, they'll update 25X5 by just including full performances. That would make it a perfect video document of the group (and it cuts off at about the right spot as well).

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 27, 2012 15:46

Green Lady
What I loved was seeing incidents that I only knew from still photos suddenly become moving footage. Good choice of Stones music to accompany various scenes, too.

The film has a strictly limited time frame. Nothing after 1981, but nothing before 1964 either. If it's too early for film of the Stones to exist, it isn't talked about - so nothing about the founding of the band: they just appear, fully formed, causing riots in 1964. Nothing about any of their love lives either - just the history of the band, using those un-filmed interviews with Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie, Bill and Mick T as the commentary. I enjoyed it a lot, and I certainly want to see it again.

Oh yes, I agree that those few seconds of One More Shot sound pretty good.

Hi Green Lady,
based on what you have heard during those few seconds 'One more shot' has a sound similar to Mixed Emotions as someone says?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 29, 2012 04:42

Maybe the home version that we all buy will be 150 minutes???

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: November 14, 2012 23:18

Accoring to Amazon the run time is 142 minutes. Don't see any mention of bonus footage though.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 15, 2012 02:21

johnnythunders, enjoyed your review!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 15, 2012 14:11

dont buy it.
not worth a lot.
it sucks the docu stops at 1982

this weekend at BBC and Belgium TV
jeroen

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 15, 2012 19:46

On Danish TV, DR2, Saturday 24/11, 16:05

Date: November 15, 2012 22:04

mtaylor
On Danish TV, DR2, Saturday 24/11, 16:05
Thanks!

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 15, 2012 22:07

corriecas
dont buy it.
not worth a lot.

jeroen

Before you start going all Corriecas on us, remember what the premise of the movie is. It's about the rise of the Stones, and by that it's very good. If you mistake the premise for "the entire career of the Stones", you are off the mark frm the get-go.

Byeeeeee

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 15, 2012 22:57

JumpingKentFlash
corriecas
dont buy it.
not worth a lot.

jeroen

Before you start going all Corriecas on us, remember what the premise of the movie is. It's about the rise of the Stones, and by that it's very good. If you mistake the premise for "the entire career of the Stones", you are off the mark frm the get-go.

Byeeeeee

Besides, this is a promo film for non-hardcore fans. Who on earth would be interested in seeing a story of the same old men just ´getting older and meeting each other once in a few years, and doing the same ole show for twenty years or so.

I truely understand why the Stones just told the 'rise' side of the story and left the 'fall' off.

. Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-15 22:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 15, 2012 23:15

nononono
the director, or whatever Brett Morgan said it documented the rise and fall of the stones, also says on the poster, flyer.

so.....................

although i dont wanna see it, it does not document the fall of the band.

anyway..

dont wanna go corriecas on you all-
enjoy your lives and enjoy Music from the Stones

One Love
jeroen

Posted by: king ()
Date: November 16, 2012 03:32

A great pity they didn't show more footage from the 80's onwards.
Maybe they will produce another doco,which will document the last 30 years.
Let's hope so.

Posted by: Cineplexed ()
Date: November 16, 2012 06:01

It started with a bang and then......I thought the last 45 minutes were mostly a rehash and waste. They basically said nothing new after Ronnie joined and telescoped the last 30 years into 5 minutes.

But some of the footage and soundtrack were great. Too bad it couldn't have been more of that.

In fact, a film of unreleased concert footage from various tours throughout their history might have been a more interesting movie.

Maybe.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: November 16, 2012 06:07

No great revelations, but definitely entertaining and some of the studio outtakes/instrumental tracks and a lot of the footage was jaw-droppingly great - the '67 European tour shots in particular. And the Brian stuff was fantastic.

Looking forward to watching this a lot over the holiday weekend and seeing what I missed the first time around.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 16, 2012 06:08

all the out takes were terrific...the first hour 15 flew by and was amazing...the '72 stuff was so so and by the end it was a little surreal...Ronnie is almost an afterthought and then it's over....Stunning in their honesty about Brian Jones...even about Mick Taylor...Keith calling him a virtuoso...I had difficulty hearing some of the comments over the music...it was difficult to hear at times...overall a nice piece..as a fan you want a decent part 2...the Shine a Light footage is frightening/dreadful in itself....Keiths out take on Salt of The Earth was a highlight too...no mention of Anita. Marianne...thought they'd at least be included in one shot..also Bianca...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-16 06:34 by Rip This.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: November 16, 2012 06:23

I agree - the first hour or so was wonderful. After that it dragged a bit. Especially rehashing some of the CSKER Blues footage. But if you think about it - the casual fan will probably find it pretty damn interesting.
Glad I saw it & taped it - I'll definitely watch it again.

A couple of things that didn't jibe. For starters the WSJ review last week said you didn't really know who was speaking - but I think for those of us who are familiar with the band that was a no-brainer.

I would've liked to get a few more details about some of the earlier footage. Like when and where it was shot.

I didn't like the way they tried to make herion a "keith-issue." Even though Mick Taylor confessed to his addiction - it still seemed like there was a lot of Keith-blame going on. Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive to this...And yes - I know Keith's record et al. I'm just a bit weary of seeing the drug scene blamed on Keith - they all did one drug or another. Granted the situation w/ Keith was the worst...

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts tomorrow but this is my initial impression.

smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-16 06:31 by memphiscats.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: November 16, 2012 06:32

I liked seeing the stuff previously unreleased. Although there was not a whole lot else to say.

One observation is Mick's foresight to have everything filmed, Travel, Shows, dressing rooms rehearsing etc.. It looked like it started very very early.

Not just a boy with a video camera but production quality A/V.

The Big RS Machine is starting to Roll again.>>>

smileys with beer

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: November 16, 2012 07:35

It was enjoyable to watch, but for a 50th anniversary... why did they put out a documentary on only their first 20 years! (not even) I think 25x5 was much better and more in depth. What's funny is that 25x5 covered more time in the Stones history than this 50th documentary did!

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home