Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Crossfire Hurricane - Your Review Please.
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:06

Great in some parts. Hack job in other parts, and WAY too short. It's not 150 minutes. It's 1 hour and 48 minutes. It may be 80% unseen footage, but it could be used better. Kind of unnecessary. It seems like it's there because it's unseen. Not because it's important footage.

JumpingKentFlash

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-18 23:12 by JumpingKentFlash.

Re: Crossfire Hurricane - Your Review Please.
Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:16

I thought it was great - a fresh spin on some old stories, some great editing, not that much tabloid gossip and a focus on what it feels like to *be* a Rolling Stone. Pleased that it wasn't just a rehash of 25 x 5.

It was the length it needed to be for a cinema visit. Any longer and it would be a mini-series. Not to say that wouldn't also be great, but that's a different project for a different day.

The red carpet coverage was dire, mind.

Posted by: Cure ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:17

The best part? At the end credits we heard 30 secs of One Last Shot.

For those who missed it: it was like watching YouTube with the Stones commenting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-18 23:18 by Cure.

Date: October 18, 2012 23:17

Also - One Last Shot sounded pretty good. Wasn't expecting it to be sung by Mick.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:19

Well it was a nice night out. Nothing too spectacular. Of course, when it got interesting in terms of new insights in the new era and balances, it was over. Once again, nothing after 1981. Another movie filled with sixties and seventies footage. By now, I want the last thity years, I've seen the first twenty. But I think they're still uncomfortable with the idea of that.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:21

Was there any footage of the Stones rehearsing together from the December 2011 and/or Spring 2012 jams? A lot of people seemed to write off those jams as simply them getting together to film for the documentary. Well, was that footage included?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:24

Excellent Question Justin! I second that!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: sjs12 ()

I thought it was well edited and there was certainly stuff in there I hadn't seen before. Exile was a better documentary imo but it was good.

When one last shot started it took me a while until I realised. Great song. Keith needs to write more like this.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()

Cure
The best part? At the end credits we heard 30 secs of One Last Shot.

For those who missed it: it was like watching YouTube with the Stones commenting.

Yeah man >grinning smiley<

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:26

Great movie. Lots of footage that I haven't seen before. What I liked about it is that it isn't just a dry summing up of all events that are of interest, but the director picked some subjects and elaborated around it. Good that it didn't cover the events from 1982 to present, but concentrated on the 60s and 70s. Abrubt ending though... Liked the raw material where the camera was kind of fuzzy and vague. Also liked the large amounnt of screening time that Brian got. Really enjoyed it!

Crossfire Hurricane: S""T My Local Cinema could not show it due to "technical difficulties"
Posted by: neilly43 ()
Date: October 18, 2012 22:13

Drove 180 miles to home to watch it at my local cinema to find that they could not show Crossfire sue to technical difficulties. Grrr indeed. So 'king frustrated sitting at home watching everyone else having a good time...

Re: Crossfire Hurricane: S""T My Local Cinema could not show it due to "technical difficulties"
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: October 18, 2012 22:26

neilly43
Drove 180 miles to home to watch it at my local cinema to find that they could not show Crossfire sue to technical difficulties. Grrr indeed. So 'king frustrated sitting at home watching everyone else having a good time...

That's a huge disappointment! I feel with you. I hope they read your story and give you a ticket for a show to make you feel happy again.

Re: Crossfire Hurricane: S""T My Local Cinema could not show it due to "technical difficulties"
Date: October 18, 2012 22:35

Thanks Dreamer... they have offerred a discount on another film after I asked them. Still I was so look forward to it.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 18, 2012 22:49

Feel for you too Neilly. Just had the same experience myself. Apart from the 180 miles though (ouch! thumbs down)

What a debacle. Was hoping that seeing the Stones on the red carpet and this doc was going to make me feel better about the obscene amount of money I spent yesterday on nosebleed tix for the o2. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

PS did I mention GRRRRRRRRRR?!!!!

Date: October 18, 2012 22:52

Roll 73 it wouldn't be Redditch by any chance that you had the same experience...
angry smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:10

Oh that sucks! I feel your pain. Reminds me of the time my wife & I drove 2 1/2 hours through the mountains to see Aretha Franklin only to read the marquee as we approached the theater:

Tonight's Aretha Franklin Concert...

Canceled Due To Illness...

Tonight's Special Guest...

Tony Orlando.

We got our refund and did not stay for the show. I kept looking for a "Signpost up ahead" telling me what dimension of the Twilight Zone I had been transported to where Tony Orlando could fill in for Aretha.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:20

mr_dja
Oh that sucks! I feel your pain. Reminds me of the time my wife & I drove 2 1/2 hours through the mountains to see Aretha Franklin only to read the marquee as we approached the theater:

Tonight's Aretha Franklin Concert...

Canceled Due To Illness...

Tonight's Special Guest...

Tony Orlando.

We got our refund and did not stay for the show. I kept looking for a "Signpost up ahead" telling me what dimension of the Twilight Zone I had been transported to where Tony Orlando could fill in for Aretha.

Peace,
Mr DJA

You mighta just knocked 3 times on the ceiling if you really wanted her.

Date: October 18, 2012 23:25

Mr dja - that just brought a smile to my face for the first time tonight! Talk about kicking a man whilst he is down...Tony Orlando of all people! BTW didn't Dawn (knock 3 times) keep Brown Sugar from reaching number1 in the UK for about 3 or 4 weeks?

Justin
Was there any footage of the Stones rehearsing together from the December 2011 and/or Spring 2012 jams? A lot of people seemed to write off those jams as simply them getting together to film for the documentary. Well, was that footage included?

No

Posted by: Doxa ()

No one sound like being excited so far. That's not good. Even SHINE A LIGHT made many people go crazy...

- Doxa

Date: October 18, 2012 23:28

Justin

No footage at all after 1981/2, other than All Down The Line from the Beacon Theatre.

Date: October 18, 2012 23:31

CaledonianGonzo
Justin

No footage at all after 1981/2, other than All Down The Line from the Beacon Theatre.

Not true. There was one second of a flare probably from voodoo lounge tour

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:32

Doxa
No one sound like being excited so far. That's not good. Even SHINE A LIGHT made many people go crazy...

- Doxa

The very end of the movie was ADTL from SAL. The point? No idea, other than it's a great performance of that song.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: strettonbull ()

I was disappointed that there was nothing after 1981/82 (except one song). Maybe that's for another day.

Shrewsbury Cineworld joined the beginning late at the point Keith was being interviewed by the blonde presenter. I don't know how much we missed.

Posted by: Roll73 ()

neilly43
Roll 73 it wouldn't be Redditch by any chance that you had the same experience...
angry smiley

No it was Islington.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:33

Justin

Maybe those jams weren't so exciting and fabulous as the director claimed them to be.

- Doxa

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:33

neilly43
Mr dja - that just brought a smile to my face for the first time tonight! Talk about kicking a man whilst he is down...Tony Orlando of all people! BTW didn't Dawn (knock 3 times) keep Brown Sugar from reaching number1 in the UK for about 3 or 4 weeks?

Glad I could help you out out of the funk for a bit... That story never ceases to make people smile or laugh and cringe in pain... Even all these years later I still have a hard time wrapping my brain around it.

I had no idea that Knock 3 Times had any effect on Brown Sugar's rise to the top... Shaking my head again!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:36

They should have at least went all the way to "World War III." That would've been a great climax in the story: the band's broken up and not feeling or looking to good. Charlie's personal struggles etc. But I guess they had a different vision for the film. Not so much full documentary but rather focusing on a very specific period in their life: the whirlwind of the late 60's/early 70's, the band's most potent era. For a lot of people, that's the only era that really matters....

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 18, 2012 23:36

Good, but not spectacular, too short scenes of the unseen footage ( for me anyway)
Happily surprised hearing a bit of the new song. Worst part was the red carpet stuff, too myuch focus on Liam Gallagher...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: October 18, 2012 23:39

JumpingKentFlash
The point? No idea

The movie was the story of the bands transformation from bad boy rebels and voice of the counter-culture to a beloved institution and renowned entertainers (hence the subtitle Rise of the Stones).

The point of the recent(-ish) footage pegged on at the end was just cinematic shorthand for "And here we still are - as good as ever".

(-ish)

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home