Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Excitement, prices and sentiment..
Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: October 15, 2012 21:31

First of all I'm incredibly excited that in a little more than 5 weeks we can see The Stones live again...! 5 generations will see which band is still ruling the world....
Also understand the negative sentiment about prices but hey, we are talking about THE ROLLING STONES here!!!

No doubt all 4 shows will sell out soon.
Just announcing only 4 shows in 2012 in 2 major cities is a 100% guarantee for grossing millions.
Its about supply and demand and when people pay the price,the price is right. When it's selling out (too)fast, the price might even be too low. (don't shoot me, this is just how the market mechanism,and the Stones,are working).
Stones are just a money making machine,has been the case for decades and I can't blame them. People who are complaining: you think you would have a chance to get a ticket if they would announce only 4 shows and tickets would be only 25GBP?? Would be sold out in no time to people with fast internet connections and be but on the market for the same prices after a few days for prices you see right now.....

See you on the 29th!

Hendrik Mulder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-16 22:15 by Hendrik.

Re: Excitement, prices and sentiment..
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: October 15, 2012 21:34

cool.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: October 15, 2012 21:40

Ah...to be the wealthy Hendrik Mulder........

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: October 15, 2012 21:47

Hendrik
Its about supply and demand and when people pay the price,the price is right

Utter bullshit. It's not about supply and demand it's about greed. Pure and simple

There are plenty of bands out there that can sell out stadiums and arenas, but they don't all feel the need to scrape every last pound out of their fans. Just because you think you can charge the earth, does that mean you should ?

Look at AC/DC. You couldn't get tickets for their last tour for love nor money, yet even with the obvious demand for them, they didn't say 'lets do some gold circle bullshit and fleece the fans'. They said, £50-65 from top to bottom, first come first served and that's that. No, if you have more money you deserve better than the man or woman next to you.

Then again, they've always been a working class rock n roll band

Date: October 15, 2012 21:50

andy js
Hendrik
Its about supply and demand and when people pay the price,the price is right

Utter bullshit. It's not about supply and demand it's about greed. Pure and simple

There are plenty of bands out there that can sell out stadiums and arenas, but they don't all feel the need to scrape every last pound out of their fans. Just because you think you can charge the earth, does that mean you should ?

Look at AC/DC. You couldn't get tickets for their last tour for love nor money, yet even with the obvious demand for them, they didn't say 'lets do some gold circle bullshit and fleece the fans'. They said, £50-65 from top to bottom, first come first served and that's that. No, if you have more money you deserve better than the man or woman next to you.

Then again, they've always been a working class rock n roll band

Well,I strongly recommend you,don't go...someone else is more than happy to take your place....

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: October 15, 2012 21:53

If you think that the stones rule the world, well, that says enough. That ship has sailed.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 15, 2012 21:58

I am pretty astonished that you thought the Stones would do a cheapy cheapy concert while you spend your booze and not even watching them.... anyway.
Here's a very simple calculation:
25'000'000 by 4 concerts by 20'000 people in average makes a price of 312.5 whatever that is potatoes, bananas or golden earrings.
Risk and staing and all ticketing etc multiply you come on about 650 again it might be bananas or potatoes. A little extra fee for this and that and we are on the range of about 800 $. It's as easy as that.
I assume there will be much less tickets sold via ebay or other scalpers as nobody will pay more than the price already on the ticket and if they want an arrangement like a VIP or Eventtravel.
Already on the last tour good seats like in the Hollywood Bowl where way over 450 $ or MSG way over 550 $. The Triple 02 was an exception and for such even moderately priced in comparison.

I agree with you all that it is much to much money, but hey the boys are in their 70ies soon and they know it will be the last time.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 15, 2012 21:59

Maybe they target the shows toward the globalized upper crust (Russia India Hong Kong Angola Brazil) that CAN definitely afford to pay these prices.

Have you noticed that these shows take place in English-speaking cities and English is the esperanto of the globalized upper crust.

They'll cough beaucoup money to see a rusty band perform badly. Next year WE will get to see a functioning group of musicians for much less money.
Sounds like a fair deal to me...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-15 22:02 by dcba.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 15, 2012 22:02

I only get mildly annoyed by people posting that they have their tickets, and chiding the rest of us to curtail our expectations.

My advice, and it is only advice, is to just buy the tix, enjoy the show, and let the rest of us bitch without fear of reprise.

Date: October 15, 2012 22:02

well, don't mind paying a little bit more then the marketprice, but if you think that this price is the right one, that's rubbish.
You have cheap, normal, expensive tickets, and we have the rolling stones. Great band, for their corporate fanbase
And all those marketing mechanisms didn't do much good the last years..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 15, 2012 22:08

Grison
I am pretty astonished that you thought the Stones would do a cheapy cheapy concert while you spend your booze and not even watching them.... anyway.
25'000'000 by 4 concerts by 20'000 people in average makes a price of 312.5 whatever that is potatoes, bananas or golden earrings.
Risk and staing and all ticketing etc multiply you come on about 650 again it might be bananas or potatoes. A little extra fee for this and that and we are on the range of about 800 $. It's as easy as that.
I assume there will be much less tickets sold via ebay or other scalpers as nobody will pay more than the price already on the ticket and if they want an arrangement like a VIP or Eventtravel.
Already on the last tour good seats like in the Hollywood Bowl where way over 450 $ or MSG way over 550 $. The Triple 02 was an exception and for such even moderately priced in comparison.

I agree with you all that it is much to much money, but hey the boys are in their 70ies soon and they know it will be the last time.

I dont recall anyone saying or believing that these concerts would be anything other than expensive. Certainly at least on a par with the 2007 shows.

the 02 shows may have been 'moderately priced' compared to the US but they were the most expensive rock shows in UK history at the time. Its pointless comparing prices between countries as the people in each country live in different economies.

£400 is almost the average weekly wage in the UK in 2012. To charge that for most seats at a two hour concert is beyond obscene. Not quite as obscene as fans justifying this elitist bollocks by preaching supply and demand and saying that it minimises scalping (it hasnt done already). No doubt the same fans will be singing along with 'Its only rock n roll' without a hint of self irony.

Whats the point of a band who have more money than they'll spend if they each live until they're 300 demanding £16 million for four shows to entice them to bother playing again? Why bleed your loyal fans dry for no reason other than the fact that you can?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-15 22:11 by Gazza.

Date: October 15, 2012 22:09

treaclefingers
I only get mildly annoyed by people posting that they have their tickets, and chiding the rest of us to curtail our expectations.

My advice, and it is only advice, is to just buy the tix, enjoy the show, and let the rest of us bitch without fear of reprise.

Sorry but the moaning about ticket prices for the Stones is as old as the Rolling stones itself nearly. And if you feel offended when others have the luck or the savings to spoil it all for one night it's your problem and not the others. It took me a very long time to thing about if I would really waste so much money, actually ti took me 5 years, namely since August 26th 2007.

Date: October 15, 2012 22:12

Rik
well, don't mind paying a little bit more then the marketprice, but if you think that this price is the right one, that's rubbish.
You have cheap, normal, expensive tickets, and we have the rolling stones. Great band, for their corporate fanbase
And all those marketing mechanisms didn't do much good the last years..

Rik,obviously this IS market price otherwise no tickets would be sold. Even will be sold out on friday..... I know you don't like it, no reason to get emotional,but this is the way it is. Rolling Stones is just a money making industry..

Date: October 15, 2012 22:20

Well even it is the marketprice, then they don't HAVE to do that. I am not asking them to ask 50 pound for a ticket, but 460 is a lot of money and by asking that price they exclude a large part of their fanbase. A fanbase that maybe didn't have the time to save 5 years since the last tour.

I know I saved a lot of money to see the stones. But I am in the circumstance to do so but I refuse to pay almost €600 for 1 ticket and I have to sit!
Hendrik, I know we probably won't be agreeing on this, :p, but I am not emotionalsmileys with beer

Date: October 15, 2012 22:30

Gazza I would even say that UK is economically still in a better shape the the US, though you might not take this for grantage.
I totally agree with you in terms of prices. But I would anyone see who stands back if someboday is waving him a million £ or something.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2012 22:44

Gazza
Grison

I dont recall anyone saying or believing that these concerts would be anything other than expensive. Certainly at least on a par with the 2007 shows.

the 02 shows may have been 'moderately priced' compared to the US but they were the most expensive rock shows in UK history at the time. Its pointless comparing prices between countries as the people in each country live in different economies.

£400 is almost the average weekly wage in the UK in 2012. To charge that for most seats at a two hour concert is beyond obscene. Not quite as obscene as fans justifying this elitist bollocks by preaching supply and demand and saying that it minimises scalping (it hasnt done already). No doubt the same fans will be singing along with 'Its only rock n roll' without a hint of self irony.

Whats the point of a band who have more money than they'll spend if they each live until they're 300 demanding £16 million for four shows to entice them to bother playing again? Why bleed your loyal fans dry for no reason other than the fact that you can?

Agreed, but maybe it's a sign that a tour next year is on? If they charged normal prices for these 4 shows, and then go out on tour with their average high prices, people would start asking questions. Why was it cheap last year, and then expensive this year - sort of thing. Mick Jagger said of the ticket prices in 2005 that they're market price "like fish". Yeah Mick, but who controls the market in the Rolling Stones niche economy? He is the one setting, or saying yes to The Jolly Green Canadian setting, the prices. They only have themselves to blame. Damn thing is that I, retarded as I may be, think it's worth those prices, and I'm pretty sure Mick Jagger knows that. GRRR indeed!

Damn I wish I could get a ticket (See what I mean)?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:05

JumpingKentFlash
Agreed, but maybe it's a sign that a tour next year is on?

If it's really a sign for anything, it would be greed and nothing else. They should not expect people to pay similar prices for even a relatively short tour. If this shit works now, it's only because people are flying in from all over the world. And it remains to be seen whether this really works out as planned or if we'll see plenty of cheap tickets in the weeks to come. Now if the latter is the case, I assume that the game is over. For once and for all.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:09

Please. If you can't afford it, it's too far away, blah, blah, blah, look into the Pay-Per-View and enjoy it from your living room with a few friends, a few beers, a few joints.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:12

24FPS
Please. If you can't afford it, it's too far away, blah, blah, blah, look into the Pay-Per-View and enjoy it from your living room with a few friends, a few beers, a few joints.

The PPV is one of the Newark shows right? I might as well wait for a boot DVD of that then. Trying to watch American live tv on my computer would be hell. I hardly got to see Felix Baumgartner jump yesterday. Old piece of shit computer.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:13

Grison
Gazza I would even say that UK is economically still in a better shape the the US, though you might not take this for grantage.
I totally agree with you in terms of prices. But I would anyone see who stands back if someboday is waving him a million £ or something.

It may be relatively speaking - but wages are significantly lower on average.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:17

...a new reality show, Starving on $200K a year

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:27

They're for sure out of touch with the MAJORITY of their loyal fans.
I'd rather the shows be put on at a lower price that I and others can JUSTIFY, OK there's a chance I might not get them, but at least people have a chance.

They've turned themselves in to something much more than a money making machine, they've created an elitist bubble around themselves, so far removed from their roots. I know people need to make money but what they did today is just obscene.

I know Richards refused that honour, but who does he think he is thinking that's a fair rate, must think he's king, a Sir, a Lord, maybe even a Dame.

For the record, I have the credit and the Amex card, I can get tickets now, but is that really good value, honestly I'd check myself into a mental institute if I paid that money for a band knocking off the rust.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:31

Regarding the amount of money they are making? 10 to 20 years from now, it won't make a difference.

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:42

Hendrik
Its about supply and demand and when people pay the price,the price is right.

That's for Goldman Sachs, and it seems indeed the Rolling $tones Company is managed by them now...(and poor Keith Richards does not have a word they forced him to sign sad smiley )

The fact that presales go to Amex customers and not RS Archive customers, sorry "fans" says it all.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:56

It's not greed, it's accepting who made the best offer.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:56

lettingitbleed
Ah...to be the wealthy Hendrik Mulder........

..FORMERLY wealthy!....

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: October 15, 2012 23:59

trainarollin
It's not greed, it's accepting who made the best offer.

Yes that's how you behave with customers to make profit.

Date: October 16, 2012 00:15

Grison
treaclefingers

Sorry but the moaning about ticket prices for the Stones is as old as the Rolling stones itself nearly. And if you feel offended when others have the luck or the savings to spoil it all for one night it's your problem and not the others. It took me a very long time to thing about if I would really waste so much money, actually ti took me 5 years, namely since August 26th 2007.

Why would I feel offended that people have bought tickets? At least make some sense when you decide to address my post.

Let the people moan I say...quit bitching about the moaning and consider yourself lucky (or not, up to you) that you have yer tickets.

My only point is don't go around delivering bitchslaps to disappointed fans who can't afford it.

Very unbecoming.

For me, personally, I could afford to go but I can't justify it to myself.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 16, 2012 00:18

Knowing that there will be a proper tour next year and that the final show in Newark will be broadcast PPV, it makes me feel better that I can't go to these shows in NY/NJ. I shall wait till 2013 and see what's up then.

Date: October 16, 2012 00:22

Justin
Knowing that there will be a proper tour next year and that the final show in Newark will be broadcast PPV, it makes me feel better that I can't go to these shows in NY/NJ. I shall wait till 2013 and see what's up then.

I agree, and I think that's what's really up here. Let's soak the rich (and a few fanatical casualties along the way), with these 4 shows, and then go on a tour.

It's not a bad strategy really. I have two fears having said that.

1. Bill and Mick Taylor will be guests for these shows and no where else thereafter.
2. They are softening us up for higher prices. When they announce a tour for 2013 top prices at $500 will seem like a bargoon.

Ah well, we'll see.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home