Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Doom and Gloom #71 USA Itunes! Top Ten UK and US Itunes Rock! Video over a million views in one day!
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 12, 2012 23:06

I missed --Germany---in the top ten-

Re: Doom and Gloom #71 on USA Itunes! Video in one day has almost as many views as Plundered in two years!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 12, 2012 23:10

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
I like PMS as well, but it's only ok. We already have Tumbling Dice

hahaha! If that's the criterion (resembling some other song), I guess you don't have any use for any Stones song from VOODOO LOUNGE on.... Besides, as a song "Plundered My Soul" is much more original than "Doom & Gloom" is. And not only that but better, for sure too, if we compare what kind of titles are mentioned of D&G deriving from (whatever mediocre A BIGGER BANG or GODDESS numbers)... Oh yes, we only need one "Tumblin Dice" but three or dozen versions of "God Gave Me Everything", "Rough Justice", "Oh No Not You Again", etc. etc.eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Agreed, with that logic we wouldn't have had JJF as we already had Satisfaction.

Re: Doom and Gloom #71 on USA Itunes! Video in one day has more views as Plundered in two years! Over a million views!
Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: October 12, 2012 23:49

treaclefingers
SoulPlunderer
treaclefingers
marko
why they didn´t make a "full album" as an 3rd or 4th cd of this GRRRRR set,8 songs would have been fine.

I wouldn't have been satisfied unless we had 15 or 16 new songs, as invariable half becomes complete filler.

What the hell would we have been able to bitch about then?

Why would you have needed 15-16 songs (i.e longer than the typical Stones album) to be satisfied? I think their latter day albums would be a lot better if they had underwent a bit more editing and were cut down to about 10-11 tracks each.

Maybe 5 or so songs would have been better for this sort of project but perhaps the fact that there are only two means that they'll be released as singles and we can get them without buying GRRR!

Yeah, my sarcasm doesn't seem to translate well.

You coulda thrown me a winking smiley smiley or something to help me out! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: Doom and Gloom #71 USA Itunes! Top Ten UK and US Itunes Rock! Video over a million views in one day!
Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 13, 2012 00:02

the drudge report link would have bumped youtube views, especially during a hot US political season.

Re: Doom and Gloom #71 on USA Itunes! Video in one day has almost as many views as Plundered in two years!
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 13, 2012 00:39

James Kirk
Plundered My Soul is superior to Gloom and Doom, but Gloom and Doom is pretty solid in its own right.

+1

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 13, 2012 01:33

treaclefingers
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
I like PMS as well, but it's only ok. We already have Tumbling Dice

hahaha! If that's the criterion (resembling some other song), I guess you don't have any use for any Stones song from VOODOO LOUNGE on.... Besides, as a song "Plundered My Soul" is much more original than "Doom & Gloom" is. And not only that but better, for sure too, if we compare what kind of titles are mentioned of D&G deriving from (whatever mediocre A BIGGER BANG or GODDESS numbers)... Oh yes, we only need one "Tumblin Dice" but three or dozen versions of "God Gave Me Everything", "Rough Justice", "Oh No Not You Again", etc. etc.eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Agreed, with that logic we wouldn't have had JJF as we already had Satisfaction.

I can see the point why "Plundered My Soul" was excluded from EXILE - or that they didn't try to develop it further at the time, since "Tumbling Dice" had more potential to work out of that type of 'feel' the song has. But then again, for similar raesons "Worried Bout You" probably didn't make BLACK AND BLUE due to more (hit) potential "Fool To Cry" or "Waiting On A Friend" GOATS HEAD SOUP, since there were enough that type of slow reflective ballads.

But I agree with Dandie that "Doom & Gloom" has more hit potential than "Plundered My Soul", not because it is a better song, but because it simply is more radio-friendly. "Plundered My Soul" is 'doomed' to be a hardcore fan favourite, just like many other strong album cuts from their heyday. A typical EXILE number one could say. Funnily, not even "Tumbling Dice", even being one of their biggest classics, was any smash hit by their standards at the time. The #10 (I think) it peaked at Billboard was rather mediocre result after chart-toppers "Brown Sugar" and "Honky Tonk Woman". I suppose after the artistic adventure of EXILE, they purposively released easy-listening "Angie" to show that they can still also write number one hit songs.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-13 01:53 by Doxa.

Date: October 13, 2012 08:05

superrevvy
Doom and Gloom #71 USA Itunes! No Spare Parts didn't rise above about #1800. I'm stunned.

[www.doipod.com]

P.S. After 15 months! Moves Like Jagger remains in the top 100 at #85

Even more stunningly, in one day the lyrics video has more
youtube views than Plundered has gotten in two years (three times as many as
No Spare Parts)

A million youtube views! In little more than 24 hours! It took Miracle Worker
a week, even with all that hype, even with the pink suit and Joss's legs and
Damian's dreads.

I don't understand it, I would have bet against these kind of numbers, but
it sure is nice.

It's a good thing Mick Taylor wasn't on this recording then... since nobody noticed Plundered and essentially ignored Spare Parts.

On youtube, that is.

So that's the new way of signalling success eh? Huh.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 13, 2012 13:12

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
superrevvy
Damian's dreads.

it sure is nice.

It's a good thing Mick Taylor wasn't on this recording then... since nobody noticed Plundered and essentially ignored Spare Parts.

On youtube, that is.

YouTube views are now officially part of Billboard's Hot 100 calculation,
as is Social Media buzz, two areas in which this tune is doing quite well.
So it might chart decently on Billboard too.

Also: Now BOTH VERSIONS are in the Itunes top 100, the radio edit passing the
album version #93 versus #99. If they were combined we might have even hit
the top 50.

Re: Doom and Gloom BOTH VERSIONS USA Itunes Top 100! Video over 1.5 million views in two days!
Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 13, 2012 15:17

I'm with JamesKirk and Tomcat like Plundered better but D&G is good

Re: Doom and Gloom #71 on USA Itunes! Video in one day has more views as Plundered in two years! Over a million views!
Date: October 13, 2012 16:02

SoulPlunderer
treaclefingers
SoulPlunderer
treaclefingers
marko
why they didn´t make a "full album" as an 3rd or 4th cd of this GRRRRR set,8 songs would have been fine.

I wouldn't have been satisfied unless we had 15 or 16 new songs, as invariable half becomes complete filler.

What the hell would we have been able to bitch about then?

Why would you have needed 15-16 songs (i.e longer than the typical Stones album) to be satisfied? I think their latter day albums would be a lot better if they had underwent a bit more editing and were cut down to about 10-11 tracks each.

Maybe 5 or so songs would have been better for this sort of project but perhaps the fact that there are only two means that they'll be released as singles and we can get them without buying GRRR!

Yeah, my sarcasm doesn't seem to translate well.

You coulda thrown me a winking smiley smiley or something to help me out! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

smoking smiley

Date: October 13, 2012 18:35

superrevvy
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
superrevvy
Damian's dreads.

it sure is nice.

On youtube, that is.

YouTube views are now officially part of Billboard's Hot 100 calculation,
as is Social Media buzz, two areas in which this tune is doing quite well.
So it might chart decently on Billboard too.

Also: Now BOTH VERSIONS are in the Itunes top 100, the radio edit passing the
album version #93 versus #99. If they were combined we might have even hit
the top 50.

When you go to their official youtube page Doom And Gloom automatically plays, regardless of being clicked on. It's a falsifying of the numbers and typical for the culture of "success".

Re: Doom and Gloom BOTH VERSIONS USA Itunes Top 100! Video over 1.5 million views in two days!
Date: October 13, 2012 23:52

Listening to it right now...this is actually gotten better to my ears with a couple of days.

Me likey!

Posted by: marko ()
Date: October 14, 2012 11:35

YES,gets better every time,i think i can easily listen this after yeears has passed,which i cannot do on ABB,,,which makes me think,this is a "leftover" from Superheavy,the groove comes from there,so does a bit "pushed" or agressive groove so to speak,but it makes this song what it is,ex!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 14, 2012 11:43

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
When you go to their official youtube page Doom And Gloom automatically plays, regardless of being clicked on. It's a falsifying of the numbers and typical for the culture of "success".

Weird. I've been on their FB page several times in the last few days and the video doesn't automatically play for me. I have to click the play button for it to start.

Regardless, even if it were being played automatically (which it isn't for me) that won't affect the view count's validity. Anyone going to the FB page is going for one reason: to listen to the new song. It's not really false advertising considering you have to access their page to actually listen to the song anyway.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 14, 2012 11:47

superrevvy
Damian's dreads.

it sure is nice.

I wonder if Mick tossed out the pink suit? winking smiley

Date: October 14, 2012 12:12

Max'sKansasCity

he's saving it for 2014 of course.

and until now Miracle Worker was the gold standard for youtube-era stones-
related videos, reaching two million views in about a month. but its getting
blown away by Doom and Gloom, which will reach that mark on its third day

also: Here's the itunes top 100 by genre:

pop 33
country 23
hip hop rap 16
alternative 14
dance 7
r&b soul 6
rock 1 !!!

its a good question how doom and gloom can be the only rock song on USA
itunes top 100 and not be on top of USA itunes rock list. I think the
answer is that although it is not the top seller among itunes subscribers
who describe themselves as "rock", it is getting significant support from
other-genre subscribers, that is, young people. Which is great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-14 12:25 by superrevvy.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 14, 2012 12:24

superrevvy
Max'sKansasCity

he's saving it for 2014 of course.

and until now Miracle Worker was the gold standard for youtube-era stones-
related videos, reaching two million views in about a month. but its getting
blown away by Doom and Gloom, which will reach that mark on its third day

also: Here's the itunes top 100 by genre:

pop 33
country 23
hip hop rap 16
alternative 14
dance 7
r&b soul 6
rock 1 !!!

other-genre subscribers. Which is great.
rock and roll ?

Maybe it would sell better if properly titled grinning smiley

Re: Doom and Gloom the only Rock song in Itunes Top 100! Video will go over 2 million views in 3 days!
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: October 14, 2012 12:25

Can we confidently expect "Doom and Gloom" to enter official national charts at a high position? I know there's a world of difference between catching the song on the Web for nothing and actually downloading it but surley there must be some correlation.

I think the UK chart is updated at 7pm tonight but as it was only released last Thursday... who knows?

Re: Doom and Gloom the only Rock song in Itunes Top 100! Video will go over 2 million views in 3 days!
Date: October 14, 2012 12:42

Harlem Shuffler
Can we confidently expect "Doom and Gloom" to enter official national charts at a high position? I know there's a world of difference between catching the song on the Web for nothing and actually downloading it but surley there must be some correlation.

as discussed earlier there is indeed a correlation. and with stronger sales and
video views than expected, doom and gloom MIGHT make a decent showing on the
charts. but its the lack of airplay that will probably sink it. at least in
the USA, where pop and country totally dominate*. airplay is a bigger component
of the HOT 100 charts than even sales.

*this is why taylor swift is currently the biggest artist in america, because
she's the only one that charts on both country and pop consistently

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-14 12:48 by superrevvy.

Date: October 14, 2012 12:51

superrevvy
Harlem Shuffler

as discussed earlier there is indeed a correlation. and with stronger sales and
video views than expected, doom and gloom MIGHT make a decent showing on the
charts. but its the lack of airplay that will probably sink them. at least in
the USA, where pop and country totally dominate. airplay is a bigger component
of the HOT 100 charts than even sales.

Thanks, superrevvy. Are you saying that a position in the Hot 100 chart is determined by airplay and sales, i.e. the amount of airplay is taken into consideration as well as actual sales when calculating the chart position? Or do you mean simply that the more airplay a song gets, the higher its chart position is likely to be?

Date: October 14, 2012 12:57

Harlem Shuffler

Thanks, superrevvy. Are you saying that a position in the Hot 100 chart is determined by airplay and sales, i.e. the amount of airplay is taken into consideration as well as actual sales when calculating the chart position? Or do you mean simply that the more airplay a song gets, the higher its chart position is likely to be?

Yeah, it was news to me too, not long ago, when I found out there is a complex
(and secret) algorithm by which the Hot 100 is calculated. Whereas the Top 200
albums are strictly by sales, the Hot 100 singles are determined by a formula
that includes (in order i think) radio airplay, sales, online video views, cable
tv video plays, social media buzz (as measured by likes, mentions etc), and
online plays at spotify last fm etc. Even use in commercials and tv shows and
subscription channels like Muzak gets figured in somehow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-14 13:00 by superrevvy.

Date: October 14, 2012 12:59

superrevvy
Harlem Shuffler

Yeah, it was news to me too, not long ago, when I found out there is a complex
(and secret) algorithm by which the Hot 100 is calculated. Whereas the Top 200
albums are strictly by sales, the Hot 100 singles are determined by a formula
that includes (in order i think) radio airplay, sales, online video views, cable
tv video plays, social media buzz (as measured by likes, mentions etc), and
online plays at spotify last fm etc.

Thanks again, superrevvy.

Date: October 14, 2012 14:36

superrevvy
other-genre subscribers, that is, young people. Which is great.

or perhaps there is just a delay between the itunes top 100, which is updated
many times a day, and itunes rock, which may be updated less frequently.

anyway, doom and gloom is now numbers 1 & 2 on the itunes usa rock chart

Re: Doom and Gloom only Rock song in USA Itunes Top 100! Video will go over 2 million views in 3 days!
Date: October 14, 2012 14:41

FYI, here's the rest of the itunes (scarily dormant) USA top 20:

3. Boom - P.O.D.
Boom by P.O.D. from the album P.O.D.: Greatest Hits (The Atlantic Years)

4. Chalk Outline - Three Days Grace
Chalk Outline by Three Days Grace from the album Transit of Venus

5. Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
Don't Stop Believin' by Journey from the album Journey: Greatest Hits

6. Santeria - Sublime
Santeria by Sublime from the album Sublime

7. Bring Me to Life - Evanescence
Bring Me to Life by Evanescence from the album Fallen

8. Drops of Jupiter - Train
Drops of Jupiter by Train from the album Drops of Jupiter

9. I Miss the Misery - Halestorm
I Miss the Misery by Halestorm from the album The Strange Case of...

10. Pour Some Sugar On Me (2012 Re-Recorded Version) - Def Leppard
Pour Some Sugar On Me (2012 Re-Recorded Version) by Def Leppard from the album Pour Some Sugar On Me / Rock of Ages 2012 (Re-Recorded Versions) - Single

11. Short Change Hero - The Heavy
Short Change Hero by The Heavy from the album The House That Dirt Built

12. Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison
Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison from the album The Best of Poison - 20 Years of Rock (Remastered)

13. Dream On - Aerosmith
Dream On by Aerosmith from the album The Essential: Aerosmith

14. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen from the album Classic Queen

15. Blood - In This Moment
Blood by In This Moment from the album Blood - Single

16. Brown Eyed Girl (Single Version) - Van Morrison
Brown Eyed Girl (Single Version) by Van Morrison from the album Super Hits

17. How Far We've Come - Matchbox Twenty
How Far We've Come by Matchbox Twenty from the album Exile On Mainstream

18. Enter Sandman - Metallica
Enter Sandman by Metallica from the album Metallica

19. Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas from the album The Best of Kansas

20. With Arms Wide Open - Creed
With Arms Wide Open by Creed from the album Creed: Greatest Hits

Re: Doom and Gloom only Rock song in USA Itunes Top 100! Video will go over 2 million views in 3 days!
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: October 14, 2012 15:45

To be honest! Without comparing with any other song!

D & G is the biggest hit they've got in years!
Mind you it's still young and it could climb in some countries still.
It's great to see the list of top 10's in different countries and I hope
two of the so called "influential Swedish popcritics", (one already famous for having had a clash with Keith!), will read them country by country.

Then they will know what the Stones are all about.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: October 14, 2012 16:23

Fan Since 1964
D & G is the biggest hit they've got in years!

Hopefully, since its got almost no competition. Post-1995, the Stones have gotten
into the USA Hot 100 only once with Saint of Me at number 94. And even to get up
to #94 will be difficult without airplay, so those youtube numbers are their
only hope.

Incidentally, for whatever reason, their youtube count has started to crawl.
They were at 1.92 million about five hours ago, and have only progressed
since to 1.96

which is odd. statistically speaking.

of course, outside the US and UK, they have had much more chart success over
the last 20 years, and no doubt will with this single as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-14 16:26 by superrevvy.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 14, 2012 16:57

superrevvy
Hopefully, since its got almost no competition. Post-1995, the Stones have gotten
into the USA Hot 100 only once with Saint of Me at number 94. And even to get up
only hope.
The SFTD remix went to #97 in october 2003, their only hot 100 hit in 14 years. It looks hard for DOOM AND GLOOM to get in the chart but it has a chance in the bubbling under which ranks from 101 to 125.

Date: October 14, 2012 18:03

georgelicks
superrevvy
only hope.
The SFTD remix went to #97 in october 2003, their only hot 100 hit in 14 years. It looks hard for DOOM AND GLOOM to get in the chart but it has a chance in the bubbling under which ranks from 101 to 125.

1) yeah i didnt count the SFTD remix because it wasnt a new song

2) but if the Stones do get anywhere near the Hot 100 now, to repeat, those
one million youtube views on the first day are going to be the biggest reason why.

3) when i started this thread i said i was "stunned" by the quick one million
views and "don't understand it"

4) i have to admit, that now that i've reflected a bit upon it, i'm not just
stunned, i'm a bit suspicious. One million views the first day for a lyrics
video is up in rihanna territory. Rihanna has 30 million twitter followers
versus 175,000 for the Stones. IORR has about 50,000 unique visitors
per month.

I'll leave it there for now, and see what happens, and hope my suspicions
turn out to be misplaced.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-14 18:08 by superrevvy.

Re: Doom and Gloom only Rock song in USA Itunes Top 100! Video will go over 2 million views in 3.5 days!
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 14, 2012 18:45

Don't hate me but for what it's worth the horsie-dance guy now has 460 million views! Four hundred and sixty million! There are some hot legs and creamy dancing K-Pop girls in that video which must have something to do with it! smiling smiley

I like D & G and in another era that song would be on juke boxes all over the workd and make the juke box machine companies very very happy.

Date: October 14, 2012 19:44

superrevvy

4) i have to admit, that now that i've reflected a bit upon it, i'm not just
stunned, i'm a bit suspicious. One million views the first day for a lyrics
video is up in rihanna territory. Rihanna has 30 million twitter followers
versus 175,000 for the Stones. IORR has about 50,000 unique visitors
per month.

I'll leave it there for now, and see what happens, and hope my suspicions
turn out to be misplaced.

Maybe most Rihanna Fans are younger than Stones fans and use Twitter and Facebook more. Fans that don't follow the Stones on Twitter, as they don't use it, may nevertheless click on the Youtube video, since you don't need to have an account for just watching. And of course Doom and Gloom was announced as the first new song by the Stones in seven years, so many people were curious, especially in their 50th anniversary year with tour rumours. And then I think many people really like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-14 19:46 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1125
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home