Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: OT: Neil Young presents Pono Music
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 26, 2017 08:37

Very interesting comments. I just wanted to mention that even "N" home networking can stream HD video without any major issues so I don't think that that would be a weak point in the chain. I have "AC" networking and when I run a speed test app just between my router and my phone I get somewhere between 150 and 300 mbs.

I suppose I could get the Windows application for Neil's new service when available and pump the decompressed HD audio stream into my eight-year-old Yahama HTR-6160 AV amplifier through the HDMI connector and hope for the best. My amplifier has a "bit perfect" option where the audio stream makes it to the DACs unmolested. I would have to check the bit depth for the DACs and I think it supports up to 96 KHz. But the truth is I am not going to try unless there was a free month trial a la Netflix. I seriously doubt that I would subscribe myself because I am not an audiophile and I can get my computer to decompress my MP3s and send the bitstream to my AV amplifier anyway.

This all begs the question again: If you have a computer or Android box connected to your TV and AV amplifier via a HDMI connector, then why streaming only? Why not have the option to both stream and download? It seems pretty obvious. Just don't turn the new application into a multi-headed monster like iTunes that takes over your computer.

My words of wisdom: Assuming the typical computer/TV/AV amplifier model as mentioned above, if they don't also offer downloading then the system will be doomed. It's simply too self-evident and it makes sense in terms of efficient use of network bandwidth. Not having the option to download will make many people unhappy and create a lot of negative buzz, yet again.

RIP Pono player!

Re: OT: Neil Young presents Pono Music
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 26, 2017 08:42

Wow! I just checked my AV amplifier has 192 kHz 24-bit DACs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home