Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: OT: Neil Young presents Pono Music
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 26, 2017 08:37

Very interesting comments. I just wanted to mention that even "N" home networking can stream HD video without any major issues so I don't think that that would be a weak point in the chain. I have "AC" networking and when I run a speed test app just between my router and my phone I get somewhere between 150 and 300 mbs.

I suppose I could get the Windows application for Neil's new service when available and pump the decompressed HD audio stream into my eight-year-old Yahama HTR-6160 AV amplifier through the HDMI connector and hope for the best. My amplifier has a "bit perfect" option where the audio stream makes it to the DACs unmolested. I would have to check the bit depth for the DACs and I think it supports up to 96 KHz. But the truth is I am not going to try unless there was a free month trial a la Netflix. I seriously doubt that I would subscribe myself because I am not an audiophile and I can get my computer to decompress my MP3s and send the bitstream to my AV amplifier anyway.

This all begs the question again: If you have a computer or Android box connected to your TV and AV amplifier via a HDMI connector, then why streaming only? Why not have the option to both stream and download? It seems pretty obvious. Just don't turn the new application into a multi-headed monster like iTunes that takes over your computer.

My words of wisdom: Assuming the typical computer/TV/AV amplifier model as mentioned above, if they don't also offer downloading then the system will be doomed. It's simply too self-evident and it makes sense in terms of efficient use of network bandwidth. Not having the option to download will make many people unhappy and create a lot of negative buzz, yet again.

RIP Pono player!

Re: OT: Neil Young presents Pono Music
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 26, 2017 08:42

Wow! I just checked my AV amplifier has 192 kHz 24-bit DACs.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home