Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why Playing Glastonbury 2013 would be a good move for the stones...just a thought
Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: October 11, 2012 17:30

As a fan in my mid 20's I can give a little perspective on the younger view of 'older' headliners in recent years at Glastonbury. I’ve been a fan of Springsteen for a while, but when he headlined Glastonbury in 2009 (and Hyde park the following night)a lot of my friends (20 at the time) had heard of him but couldn’t really name that many songs. I know, GET AN EDUCATION. However, fast forward three years and those same friends were with me in Sunderland for the recent tour, and all have Wrecking Ball, and are currently working their way through his back catalogue.

I asked one of them recently, what was it that got you into him all of a sudden? His answer 'Watching that performance at Glastonbury - I just wanted to hear more.'

A similar thing occurred with U2 though, due to rain, their performance was slightly less explosive but still a spectacle.

Now this isn't a 'BOYS IF YOU'RE READING THIS - PLAY!' - Michael Eavis, said that the three headline acts have already been arranged so its irrelevant to that, but maybe, and with a bit of luck the stones are one of them.

People have said the payout isn’t worth it for them to play Glastonbury - yet they played Isle Of Wight in 2007. And for everything it has become and turned into, Glastonbury is still probably the biggest music festival in the world (with the Sunday night slot being the biggest gig of all). The exposure and publicity an appearance here would have would be fairly unprecedented, bigger than their own concert in say Hyde park. And the back catalogue sales, new album, dvd etc done of the back of the gig would be huge as well.

So finally I come back to the point about Bruce that I started with. Bruce through that appearance (and following ones at festivals this year in England and Europe) has found a new younger audience who now follow him. For Mick, being current and more particularly sounding like they are keeping up with the times is obviously a thing for him. Taking on Disco in the late 70's, collaborations with Superheavy and J-LO this year - he likes to be seen as with the times. And thats what a Glastonbury appearance can do - WITHOUT the need for collaborations/changing the style of music you play - Just by being THE STONES on the biggest stage of all - he can attract a new generation of fans.

Will it happen? Who knows - at least it lines up with them playing live again and the 50th anniversary and for what it’s worth, William Hill (Bookmakers in the UK) have them as 4-1 favourites to headline this year still. But I hope it does, because the beauty of the stones is like Ronnie Wood said a few years back - 'For the old it brings back great memories, for the young, it brings new discoveries....

Oh and as a side note - Great effort with Doom and Gloom - Foot stomper, alright it’s not Gimme Shelter, but for 67/68 year olds, it’s a damn good effort…and Mick sounds great.

Re: Why Playing Glastonbury 2013 would be a good move for the stones...just a thought
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 11, 2012 17:36

If the Stones do Glasto, then I am fully prepared to do most things to get in.

\m/

Re: Why Playing Glastonbury 2013 would be a good move for the stones...just a thought
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 11, 2012 18:27

you make alot of very good points. The media coverage and exposure Glastonbury gets - and the financial benefits from it - far outweighs the revenue theyd get from the festival itself. The band would be very aware of that.

The reason they picked IOW instead of Glasto in 2007 though was probably more to do with the promoter. John Giddings is the band's UK promoter and he is also the promoter of the Isle of Wight festival.

Its certainly a good way of attracting younger fans who otherwise wouldnt see them - but the easier way surely is to make their own concerts less bloody expensive to begin with. A generation of potential fans has been lost because of this - and when the older ones go, theyre not being replaced.

Its somewhat ironic that pretty much all the promotional gimmickry surrounding their new compilation is aimed at the one group of fans who are least likely to be able to afford to buy a ticket to see the band perform. Its a bit sad that to most people under a certain age, the Stones mean nothing more than a logo on a T-shirt or an app on a smartphone.

Date: October 11, 2012 18:36

Gazza
you make alot of very good points. The media coverage and exposure Glastonbury gets - and the financial benefits from it - far outweighs the revenue theyd get from the festival itself. The band would be very aware of that.

The reason they picked IOW instead of Glasto in 2007 though was probably more to do with the promoter. John Giddings is the band's UK promoter and he is also the promoter of the Isle of Wight festival.

Its certainly a good way of attracting younger fans who otherwise wouldnt see them - but the easier way surely is to make their own concerts less bloody expensive to begin with. A generation of potential fans has been lost because of this - and when the older ones go, theyre not being replaced.

Its somewhat ironic that pretty much all the promotional gimmickry surrounding their new compilation is aimed at the one group of fans who are least likely to be able to afford to buy a ticket to see the band perform. Its a bit sad that to most people under a certain age, the Stones mean nothing more than a logo on a T-shirt or an app on a smartphone.

Ah I didn't know that about IOW. I know, whilst ive been happy (I use that word loosely) to part with £100 a fair few times, most of my friends didnt bother and the price being a big part. Springsteen and Oasis did stadium tours of the UK where it was £50 for seats in the top tiers, or a sit where you want/standing GA for the same price. That seems a bit more reasonable.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: October 11, 2012 18:46

Would be nice, they are not after money these days are they?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 11, 2012 18:53

tipps
Would be nice, they are not after money these days are they?

You're serious? LOL

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: October 11, 2012 18:58

Monkeytonkman
If the Stones do Glasto, then I am fully prepared to do most things to get in.

\I tried for over an hour using 2 laptops, multiple tabs and re-ringing the telephone line to get Glasto tickets last Sunday with no luck, will try again in April but I don't know anyone who tried to get a ticket and was successful !!/

Satisfied since 1976

Date: October 11, 2012 20:42

managed to get a couple - so hoping they play, but even if they don't looking forward to my first glastonbury. Heard Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Waterboys and Gaslight Anthem should be there, so thats enough to keep me occupied.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 12, 2012 02:43

Man. I want in for Glasto. Been a few years since i've been n this years Isle of White was a doozie, even though the weather put a slant on things, was worth it for Tom Petty alone, never mind Pearl Jam and the Boss.

Met a young lad who lived there who goeas every year, loved the gaslight anthem so was there to see the boss do his thing. I asked him what the highlights of over the years were and he said that the Stones was a clear standout performance. was good to hear and would love to be in the same kind of environment with enthusiastic music fans, in a festival setting grooving to a band celebrating over 50 years of music. shheeet man getting bumpy just thinking about it.

Likes I say, I'm willing to do most things to go to that!!!

\m/

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: October 12, 2012 16:17

The Glasto rumours are doing the rounds in the papers again:

[www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk]

Date: October 12, 2012 17:54

Yeah recylced Sun Story

[www.thesun.co.uk]

Dont know how they have The Smiths as 2nd favourites to headline. More chance of Steven eating a big mac I reckon, he's not the forgive and forget type.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 12, 2012 18:05

I won't get to Glastonbury, but the IOW was great and very well received by the mostly young crowd. I'd love to see the Stones perform in a festival setting again, and if you're going to do it, go for the best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home