Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Rockpile
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 4, 2023 20:36

With their proper albums and all the defacto recordings that were released as Dave Edmunds or Nick Lowe solo projects but were in fact Rockpile songs, they created a great body of work. They seem one of the most overlooked bands. Dave, Nick, Billy Bremner, and Terry Williams are all still living, yet they are rarely mentioned when discussions of bands people would like to see reunite come up. Any chance it will ever happen?

Re: OT-Rockpile
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 4, 2023 21:40

I would love to see them together. At least here in the States, Nick has toured with Los Strait Jackets backing him. I loved Billy Bremner's guitar work and vocal work with Rockpile and loved his work with The Pretenders, filling in seamlessly for James Honeyman-Scott. A shame we do not hear more from them all.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 4, 2023 21:45

Love Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds and Rockpile. Was just last night listening to Nick Lowe's records, The Impossible Bird, The Convincer, and At My Age.

I saw another offshoot, Little Village, which included Ry Cooder and John Hiatt in 1992. Between them, they have made tons of great records as solo artists and supporting each other.

Nick Lowe is on tour with Los Straitjackets right now.

T@3

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 4, 2023 22:15

Great band. The Nick and Dave albums, along with "Seconds Of Pleasure", are long time favorites.

The 1979 documentary "Born Fighters" is also recommended.

A Rockpile reunion is highly unlikely. Dave Edmunds and Terry Williams are both retired.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: May 4, 2023 22:37

Sorry to hear that Dave and Terry have hung up their gloves. A quick check of their Wikipedia bios has Terry (currently 75) retired since 2007, and Dave (now 79) retired since 2017. They're both Welshmen.

They all certainly kept busy after Rockpile dissolved. I've seen Nick, both with Bill Kirchen, and with Los Straitjackets backing him. Great shows each time. Dave had a very active career up until his retirement. Billy, as stated, joined The Pretenders, and Terry had a long stint in Dire Straits.

Was there some animosity between them that kept a reunion from ever happening, or were they all just too busy with their own projects?

It seems to be a lost opportunity.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 4, 2023 22:39

Always loved this tune:

Dave Edmunds - Crawling From the Wreckage, written by Graham Parker!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: May 4, 2023 23:53

Such a great band, such an incredible body of work, Love Rockpile and all off shoots

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 5, 2023 10:21

LeonidP
Always loved this tune:

The album it's from..."Repeat when necessary" is a superb listen from start to finish ...and Albert Lee's guest guitar on Sweet Little Lisa is stunning.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 5, 2023 10:24

Saw Rockpile do a warm-up gig for a national tour. It was in a student union around the late seventies. Very tight band and enjoyable gig. The support act was the Fabulous Thunderbirds who were of an even higher calibre and I instantly became a fan for life.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 5, 2023 10:32

Well done ...would have loved to catch that . smiling smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 5, 2023 13:59

It was a cracker. Had read about the T birds and how much Muddy liked them. They came onstage to an audience of about eight people. Kim Wilson wore a turban, Jimmy Vaughan was coolness personified and what a beautiful noise they made. Ran downstairs to the bar between songs to let pals know what they were missing. A buzz went round and the hall started to fill. It was rammed for Rockpile who did a solid rocking set including a Chuck Berry song (Promised Land). I actually bumped into a friend who was with me that night in the supermarket yesterday!

Date: May 5, 2023 14:14

Spud
LeonidP
Always loved this tune:

The album it's from..."Repeat when necessary" is a superb listen from start to finish ...and Albert Lee's guest guitar on Sweet Little Lisa is stunning.

Indeed. Fantastic playing thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 5, 2023 15:54

Here's a pretty decent album with Dave Edmunds & Terry Williams....(& BJ Cole) ... Various – Christmas At The Patti

[www.discogs.com]

I met Terry williams in a print shop in my and his home town, Swansea about 8 years ago. It was a bit surreal as a 55 year old telling him he was the first drummer I'd seen live aged 14. - playing with the Man band in Folkestone England in 1974.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-05 16:00 by EddieByword.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: May 5, 2023 16:07

I also saw Rockpile back in the day and was happy to see guitarist Billy Bremner has a touring band "Rockfiles" which plays an array of Rockpile, Edmunds and Lowe tunes in fine form. I saw them at a club in suburban Philadelphia last November. Very enjoyable. I believe he might be based out of Sweden these days.

HBK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home