Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Joe South died and I didn't know it.
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 6, 2012 02:07

I just found out Joe South passed away last month.
Sounds cliche, but he really was one of the most underrated guitarist/songwriters in rock and roll.
He sort of disappeared after the suicide of his brother in the early 70s, so people seemed to forget about him, but he made southern-style guitar popular in the 60s:
Playing on Dylan's Blond on Blond and of course, that signature guitar work on Aretha's Chain of Fools.
And then this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-06 02:09 by stupidguy2.

Re: OT: Joe South died and I didn't know it.
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 6, 2012 02:13

Completely agree with you regarding Joe's great talent.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 6, 2012 02:20

That spinning orange & yellow center is kinda hypnotic.

I miss 45s.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 6, 2012 05:33

There was a thread on it -- acknowledgments of his talent and stature back in the day.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 6, 2012 07:46

Hey, what about this Joe South tune?

And how about the composer's (Joe South's) version?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 6, 2012 10:16

Wry Cooter
There was a thread on it

Yes. [www.iorr.org]

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 6, 2012 11:02

And here's another cover version of Hush

BTW, the guitar player is Nono, founding member of Trust (Antisocial).

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 6, 2012 17:53

The song "Walk a mile in my shoes"(1970) has a similar and yet unsual chord progression that reminds me of Ronnie's "Stay with me"(1971). I wonder if Ron was influenced by Joe South when he wrote the Faces' hit song.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: October 6, 2012 19:38

Wry Cooter
There was a thread on it -- acknowledgments of his talent and stature back in the day.

Thanks for the link - I missed it....just wanted to give props to someone I feel went AWOL.
As great as his songs were, I still think this is one of his crowning achievements as a session man:

Date: October 6, 2012 22:39

Of course I agree with you about Joe's fabulous session work.

I hesitate to say what I think these days because of all the lurking haters but Joe was legendary among good Southern musicians who were really in awe of him.
He knew how good he was but never flaunted it. I knew Joe as well as one could know him in the Seventies. He had some personal problems and didn't always get the best business advice but he was no one's fool. I introduced Joe to a well-known NY writer who came to Atlanta and felt out of his NY element but he understood that Joe was special and wrote well of him in a piece for Crawdaddy.
Apparently, this really meant a lot to the quiet-spoken Joe and the next time I saw him he thanked me in a very humble way. Sometimes having great talent can be rough for someone who is shy and not quite sure who to trust.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 7, 2012 07:50

I had both the Deep Purple single of Hush and his version of Games People Play when I was a little kid.

Now Joe's so far South he's six feet under (ba-doom-boom). Sorry, that truly awful pun was laying there. I couldn't resist. It's a compulsion, but only my wife gets all the first drafts.

Date: October 7, 2012 08:09

If it weren't for Joe South, Deep Purple would have started out with this Neil Diamond cover:

Date: October 7, 2012 19:27

stonesrule
Of course I agree with you about Joe's fabulous session work.

I hesitate to say what I think these days because of all the lurking haters but Joe was legendary among good Southern musicians who were really in awe of him.
He knew how good he was but never flaunted it. I knew Joe as well as one could know him in the Seventies. He had some personal problems and didn't always get the best business advice but he was no one's fool. I introduced Joe to a well-known NY writer who came to Atlanta and felt out of his NY element but he understood that Joe was special and wrote well of him in a piece for Crawdaddy.
Apparently, this really meant a lot to the quiet-spoken Joe and the next time I saw him he thanked me in a very humble way. Sometimes having great talent can be rough for someone who is shy and not quite sure who to trust.

Thanks for sharing stonesrule....
I'm constantly in awe of those of you who were actually part of the music, cultural scene in some way. I'm humbled by the fact that I was just a kid in Texas reading all the mags, buying all the records.
Thanks again.
And to your point about JS - I've read that, I believe it was Robbie Robertson, felt that Joe was aloof during sessions.....
but you speak to his shyness, and that explains a lot.

Date: October 7, 2012 20:25

ab
I had both the Deep Purple single of Hush and his version of Games People Play when I was a little kid.

Now Joe's so far South he's six feet under (ba-doom-boom). Sorry, that truly awful pun was laying there. I couldn't resist. It's a compulsion, but only my wife gets all the first drafts.

Yes, Joe went South, didn't he? I was going to post that initially in response to the thread title, but managed to resist. But now since you've taken the first leap, I can go ahead and post my pun. Puns are just games people play... I'm sure Joe as a songwriter would understand...about the games people play...

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 7, 2012 21:10

Date: October 7, 2012 22:59

StupidGuy2, I appreciated your last post and just wrote you a lengthy message which has disappeared. My love of and memories of music are as strong now and they were then. I loved the audiences then and now so don't feel humble. Without the audience and the TRUE fans, music would not have survived.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home