Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Grocery Shopping?
Posted by: paulm ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:07

Do any of the Stones do their own grocery shopping, or do they rely on handlers?

Re: Grocery Shopping?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:22

.......Well lets put it this way ....
How many shots have ya seen of The Stones in a supermarket?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:24

Interesting thought to at least consider for a moment, but if you can locate a photo of a Rolling Stone in the meat aisle or checkout line of any local supermarket then I'd like to see it, because there surely would be many such photos in circulation by now, what with everyone armed and ready with a spy-phone. Do they rely on handlers? Yes, baggage handlers. We have about as much chance of a supermarket sighting of Elvis as we do of The Stones. Members of The Stones doing their own shopping is about as likely as the thought of them cleaning their own mansions. Although, Charlie likely shops for his own suits--has to try 'em on before purchasing, you know.

Date: October 5, 2012 00:31

....where's that wonderful interview with Charlie
where they ask him what he does at home when not on tour ...

Do you mow the lawns Charlie?....
And he answers something like ...Me!! mo'da lawns ...you got to be joking ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:31

I just cannot imagine Mick lining up at the supermarket and battling with the elderly ladies for the weekly specials,or the latest markdowns!!

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:34

Maybe The Stones don't do their own grocery shopping but the remaining Beatles definitely do. There's been plenty of photos over the last few years of Paul and Ringo (separately) shopping at LA supermarkets in the middle of the night.

Date: October 5, 2012 00:35

klrkcr
I just cannot imagine Mick lining up at the supermarket and battling with the elderly ladies for the weekly specials,or the latest markdowns!!

Or picking up a tabloid to glance at a picture of himself.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:37

I remember Keith saying something about "going to the market" in an interview, or maybe it was in Life, or maybe I'm just confused today...confused smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:38

I once knew a lady that lived the fingerbowl lifestyle ever since birth. She never knew anything else.

One day, her assistant took her to K-Mart to buy a pair of shoes.
She asked her assistant: "Why are all the shoes tied together, and when is someone going to wait on me?"

When she was enlighted on how K-Mart operates, she said "Oh, I can't shop here!" grinning smiley

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:41

I remember hearing that when Mick Jagger was recording with The Dust Brothers in Silverlake, he'd stop at the Vons on Alvarado and buy water and juice.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:45

jiggysawdust
Maybe The Stones don't do their own grocery shopping but the remaining Beatles definitely do. There's been plenty of photos over the last few years of Paul and Ringo (separately) shopping at LA supermarkets in the middle of the night.

Ah, you just reminded me of something.

Someone I know manages a few pizza stores in New Orleans.
She happened to be at a store when a guy named "Paul" called for a pickup order.
Sure enough, McCartney comes in to pick up the pizza.
I don't know if it was a vegetarian pizza or not, but this happened right around the time McCartney had a show in New Orleans in the early nineties.

Anyone know when Paul went vegetarian?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:45

At 140 pounds Mick's eating about 1,400 calories a day to maintian his weight. That's not a lot of shopping.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:46

Rockman

Joe Walsh told the story how he was mowing his lawn when he lived in Colorado after the James Gang had broken up and he looked up and saw the Rocky mountains. He quickly when inside and guess which song he wrote?

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:49

As for Keith,I think there'd be too much risk of him "showing the blade" if some poor soul took the last can of half priced peaches!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: October 5, 2012 01:37

latebloomer
I remember Keith saying something about "going to the market" in an interview, or maybe it was in Life, or maybe I'm just confused today...confused smiley

I've heard this too in relation to Keith shopping for UK brews at a local store near his home in CT.

But when they're at home, they've got to have choice provisions and wine in the larder yes? Or do they just eat out every @#$% night?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 01:39 by paulm.

Date: October 5, 2012 01:47

Dont forget that old crazy classic series Stella Street ............

ROCKMAN

Date: October 5, 2012 02:06

Edith Grove
jiggysawdust

She happened to be at a store when a guy named "Paul" called for a pickup order.
I don't know if it was a vegetarian pizza or not, but this happened right around the time McCartney had a show in New Orleans in the early nineties.

By his own account, he and Linda were sitting down one day in 1979 to a plate of lamb chops when at one point Paul happened to look out the window...at their beloved pet sheep as they were wandering about. Then he looked back down at his plate and had a revelation. After that, they never went back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 02:08 by stonesnow.

Date: October 5, 2012 02:14

.... that's like that old side-show attraction -- The Man Eating Sheep

ya pay ya $$bucks go in the tent and there's a guy sitting at a table with a plate of lamb chops....got ya sucker!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:21

It was short-lived but Ronnie was often papped coming from the supermarket with Ekaterina.

Date: October 5, 2012 04:44

Why no photos? Because it just isn't cool, at least not according to some rockstars. Here's Johnny Ramone, in his own words, on the subject of grocery shopping:

"When I go out, I always make sure I'm dressed in my regular Ramones clothes, you know? I mean, I'd go out shopping with my girlfriend and say, 'Uh, you gotta carry the grocery bag home 'cause I can't have fans seeing me carrying a grocery bag, 'cause, uh, it doesn't look good.' She says, 'You're nuts with this shit, you know?!' And I still do it. I mean, I've been very careful in what the fans are gonna expect from me and try not to disappoint them."

thisglobalpillage.blogspot.com/2011/08/johnny-ramone.html

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 5, 2012 05:05

2000 LYFH
Rockman

Joe Walsh told the story how he was mowing his lawn when he lived in Colorado after the James Gang had broken up and he looked up and saw the Rocky mountains. He quickly when inside and guess which song he wrote?

I thought John Denver wrote Rocky Mountain Highwinking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2012 05:10

latebloomer

I thought Keith grew his own produce.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 5, 2012 05:20

Edith Grove
jiggysawdust

According to Paul McCartney, not too many years back, he claimed that he rides the bus in New York City when he's there and that he liked mixing with the "common" people (yes, I believe he actually said that, but from his point of view, it's likely quite honest). I still have difficulty picturing him sitting on a bus in midtown, but maybe he did do that once, who knows?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 5, 2012 05:36

There we go......

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 5, 2012 05:42

Hey! Get some beer and some cleaning products!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 06:10 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 5, 2012 06:17

It's actually an interesting question. According to Elliot Mintz, Lennon never set foot in a bank until he was 34 years old and was clueless on how you order room service from a hotel. I find it funny that Yoko always claims nowadays that Lennon would have loved the internet, Facebook, Twitter, and have been all over it. He couldn't even dial room service! When's the last time Paul Simon (Mr. NYC) ever rode the subway? I used to work for a director in Hollywood (he certainly wasn't famous, he just did music videos) but he had the same mind-set. There was no way he would go into a grocery store, dry cleaners, auto shop. No way. It was beneath him. There is some hope. A friend of mine ran into Roger Daltry in a Home Depot here in L.A. where he was buying some paint. My friend asked, "Roger? What are you doing here?" He replied, "I'm buying some paint."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 5, 2012 06:30

hbwriter had this story about Keith plus Marlon and bodyguard turning up to buy yogurt in the middle of the night in South Salem..

[www.iorr.org]

I also remember a story here about Keith and friend getting the munchies and appearing at the village shop in West Wittering very early one morning to buy sweets.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 5, 2012 13:57

Green Lady
hbwriter had this story about Keith plus Marlon and bodyguard turning up to buy yogurt in the middle of the night in South Salem..

[www.iorr.org]

I also remember a story here about Keith and friend getting the munchies and appearing at the village shop in West Wittering very early one morning to buy sweets.

Thank you Green Lady, I knew I had read it somewhere!

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: October 5, 2012 14:24

I remember Ronnie saying he shopped for his grocerys.

A little OT: I live in the same town as Bruce Springsteen here in NJ, and I have seen him dozens of times around town over the years. But the one that sticks out in my mind the most is when I saw him in a busy pizzaria on a Friday night at prime dinner time.

I walked in and the place was unusally noisy. I just assumed it was school kids. Then when I got up by the counter I noticed Bruce waiting to pick up his order. People were just standing there with there cell phones out taking pictures and videos. That was the only time I ever witnessed him being "mobbed".

I have also seen Debbie Harry and her Mom shopping for grocerys at the local A&P supermarket. I have to say she still looks great! Very pretty.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: October 5, 2012 16:25

As someone's mentioned Roger Daltrey on here; a friend of mine saw him getting off the tube at South Kensington station (closest stop to the Albert Hall) on the afternoon of one of the Teenage Cancer Trust shows he puts on. He wasn't playing that night, but he was there to introduce the acts, I believe. Top man.

Declan

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home