Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Pete Townshend - Shut Up About Jagger!
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 29, 2012 00:50

treaclefingers
latebloomer
treaclefingers
pinkfloydthebarber
treaclefingers
pinkfloydthebarber
good grief

sometimes i wish i never opened the thread

good grief indeed! how many times have you opened it if sometimes you wish you never opened it?

it seems them, that sometimes you're glad you opened it, maybe even thrilled?

huh

'the' refers to any thread, not this one in particular, although this one certainly fits the premise

what if you once wrote something in clearer fashion than anything else ever written?

ah of course, sorry for the misunderstanding. A lot of IORRians use another word, the word 'a' in place of the word 'the', as the word 'the' can be a bit more specific, ie leaving some of us thinking that perhaps you were referring to this thread in particular.

For instance, using the word 'a' would leave us with, "sometimes i wish i never opened a thread", which of course still doesn't make any sense in the way you've phrased it but brings us closer for your hoped for generalization.

No need to thank me.

Personal pronouns, the hardest part of english grammar. Here you go treaclefingers, all the thanks you need.

I take personal pronouns personally...alway have, it's a bit of an achilles heel thang.

I nominate Pete Townshend for grammarian in chief, who, after all, was once a consulting editor at Faber and Faber.

By the way, since January, Faber and Faber's new editor-at-large is none other than Jarvis Cocker--file this move under "Pulp non-fiction".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 29, 2012 00:56

stonesnow
treaclefingers
latebloomer
treaclefingers
pinkfloydthebarber
treaclefingers
pinkfloydthebarber
good grief

good grief indeed! how many times have you opened it if sometimes you wish you never opened it?

huh

'the' refers to any thread, not this one in particular, although this one certainly fits the premise

what if you once wrote something in clearer fashion than anything else ever written?

ah of course, sorry for the misunderstanding. A lot of IORRians use another word, the word 'a' in place of the word 'the', as the word 'the' can be a bit more specific, ie leaving some of us thinking that perhaps you were referring to this thread in particular.

For instance, using the word 'a' would leave us with, "sometimes i wish i never opened a thread", which of course still doesn't make any sense in the way you've phrased it but brings us closer for your hoped for generalization.

No need to thank me.

Personal pronouns, the hardest part of english grammar. Here you go treaclefingers, all the thanks you need.

I take personal pronouns personally...alway have, it's a bit of an achilles heel thang.

I nominate Pete Townshend for grammarian in chief, who, after all, was once a consulting editor at Faber and Faber.

By the way, since January, Faber and Faber's new editor-at-large is none other than Jarvis Cocker--file this move under "Pulp non-fiction".

OK, you win that round!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 29, 2012 01:03

treaclefingers
stonesnow
treaclefingers
latebloomer
treaclefingers
pinkfloydthebarber
treaclefingers
pinkfloydthebarber
good grief

huh

No need to thank me.

OK, you win that round!

Wow, Treac, that's amazing! I win the round and I didn't even know I was a contestant. I'm just falling over myself with joyous celebration...

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: September 29, 2012 01:32

Well, we now know how Townshend feels about Mick's dick. I wonder if he has anything to say about Roger's todger?
smiling smiley

Date: September 29, 2012 01:46

TippyToe
Well, we now know how Townshend feels about Mick's dick. I wonder if he has anything to say about Roger's todger?
smiling smiley

...or Robert's Johnson.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 29, 2012 01:49

Possibly what started it all?

There was no way this thread was ever going to end well.. from the start winking smiley

Date: September 29, 2012 01:51

Max'sKansasCity

There was no way this thread was ever going to end well.. from the start winking smiley

possibly pete didn't realize this was actually an inflatable.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 29, 2012 01:53

Max'sKansasCity
You don't need to be a dick about it smiling smiley

treaclefingers
Max'sKansasCity

possibly pete didn't realize this was actually an inflatable.

And Probably didnt/doesnt care winking smiley

Posted by: GravityBoy ()

Max'sKansasCity

Mick re-enacts Dune.

Date: September 29, 2012 01:54

GravityBoy
Max'sKansasCity

Mick re-enacts Dune.
I CONTROL THE SPICE!!

Date: September 29, 2012 01:57

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 29, 2012 07:07

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 29, 2012 19:15

I think that Pete's just being honest. It is no big secret that most of the rock stars lived in a constant homoerotic atmosphere, fueled by their willingness to go beyond any limits including sexual taboos and excessive drug use
Almost everybody including Richards, too - I've read that Anita was mad at him and said that he enjoyed too much the adoration of all the pretty men around him who were in love with him. and Marianne said the same thing about Mick
So kudos to Pete for that - he just talks about it openly.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 29, 2012 19:18

Not that there's anything wrong with it!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 29, 2012 19:37

Book Review: Pete Townshend's 'Who I Am' Could Be the Most Conflicted Rock Memoir of All Time
Townshend is vulnerable and candid in a quest to explore his defects and contradictions

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]

"But he's not concerned about preserving his rock-star myth. Instead, it almost seems he wants to undercut it" - very different from Keith's approach to his book, right?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 5, 2012 08:14

>His classic solo LP, 1972's Who Came First, doesn't even rate a mention.

That's too bad, that's my favorite album by him. I wonder why he doesn't think his first solo album warrants a mention?

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 5, 2012 17:09

Glam Descendant

That's too bad, that's my favorite album by him. I wonder why he doesn't think his first solo album warrants a mention?

From my understanding, Pete has stated he feels ashamed of it, feeling it was a mediocre effort. He makes the claim that his first "true" solo effort was 1980's Empty Glass.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 5, 2012 17:44

The guy is one of the biggest rock stars ever and also one of the most talented, I don't understand how some people (and Stones fans for that matter) can't handle a book of memoirs....It seems that even a GoGos bio would seem offensive.

Date: October 6, 2012 04:34

Happy Jack
Glam Descendant

From my understanding, Pete has stated he feels ashamed of it, feeling it was a mediocre effort. He makes the claim that his first "true" solo effort was 1980's Empty Glass.

and I love that album...better than any later who efforts!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 6, 2012 05:02

treaclefingers
Happy Jack
Glam Descendant

I know I'm in the minority but that's how I feel about WHO CAME FIRST.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 6, 2012 15:35

treaclefingers
Happy Jack
Glam Descendant

I agree whole-heartedly. Pete's solo efforts in the early 80's were better than the Who's. Its a shame really as many of the songs off of Empty Glass and All Good Cowboys... would have made some excellent Who Songs (Empty GLass, Gonna Get Ya, Rough Boys, A Little is Enough, etc). In fact some of them were tried out as Who songs (Empty Glass, Somebody Saved Me) while one obscure solo number (Dance It Away) started life as a live Who number and ended up as a quasi-Who number released as a solo Pete number (Pete's studio version features John on the bass, and Kenny on the drums).

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 6, 2012 17:37

Pete's book hits the shelves on Monday. Looking forward to reading and discussing it smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2314
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home