Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Johnny Cash question
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 15, 2012 18:38

I know that JC was asked to play at the Rock and Roll Circus but beside that, have the stones ever had contact with JC? I mean jamming together, .....

Re: Johnny Cash question
Date: September 15, 2012 20:51

Country music singer-songwriter Johnny Cash, front left, and Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, second from right, jam with Sid McGinnis (rear left), Steve Cropper (over Cash’s shoulder), U2 guitarist The Edge, (rear center), and rocker Little Richard (dark glasses, far right), at the end of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremonies in New York, Jan. 16, 1992. Cash was inducted into the Hall of Fame. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-15 20:54 by Made In The Shade.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 15, 2012 21:05

Cash wise:

No Expectations was recorded in 1978 for the Jack Clement produced album, Gone Girl. None of the Stones appeared on it. The version is too fast, and Rick Rubin could have done a far better job with a slower version.

Stones-wise: Keith was influenced by Luther Perkins, and has mentioned how much he loved a Sun album of Cash's with a cover of Hank Williams' I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow.

A humorous story exists, also, of how Keith was at a urinal, prior to the rock n roll hall fame gig. Cash was adjacent, at the other urinal, and Keith burst into Loading Coal from 1960's Ride This Train. Keith did ask Cash to sing along, but he didn't, as he thought it odd to be duetting on Loading Coal at a urinal.

However, in 1968, at the time of the Rock n Roll Circus, Johnny Cash was recovering from his first major bout of amphetamine addiction. The Stones were not exactly models of sobriety at this point, and it could have caused problems for a recovering addict.

Was Cash familiar, music-wise, with the blues ? The answer to that was resoundingly yes. He did an early blues song called Walkin The Blues at his first Columbia session from 1958. He was also familiar with a Memphis record store called Home Of The Blues, hence one of his early Sun Hits. I also think Rufus Thomas was a proprietor of Home Of The Blues, the store. Cash also covered Vera Hall's Another Man Done Gone from 1963 on Blood, Sweat, & Tears, and I Got A Woman and What'd I Say from 1967's Carryin' On with June Carter. Unlike other country acts, Cash was no stranger to the blues, which would be the Sun influence.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 15, 2012 23:59

tomcasagranda
Cash wise:

Keith was at a urinal, prior to the rock n roll hall fame gig. Cash was adjacent, at the other urinal, and Keith burst into Loading Coal from 1960's Ride This Train. Keith did ask Cash to sing along, but he didn't, as he thought it odd to be duetting on Loading Coal at a urinal.

Cash told the L.A. Times that he was nervous about his induction into the RnR Hall of Fame because he was a country music star, not a rock star. Would people think he didn't belong there? But then when Keith sang to Johnny at the urinal, Johnny relaxed. Keith made him feel he belonged there after all.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 16, 2012 01:13

tomcasagranda
Cash wise:

No Expectations was recorded in 1978 for the Jack Clement produced album, Gone Girl. None of the Stones appeared on it. The version is too fast, and Rick Rubin could have done a far better job with a slower version.

Stones-wise: Keith was influenced by Luther Perkins, and has mentioned how much he loved a Sun album of Cash's with a cover of Hank Williams' I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow.

A humorous story exists, also, of how Keith was at a urinal, prior to the rock n roll hall fame gig. Cash was adjacent, at the other urinal, and Keith burst into Loading Coal from 1960's Ride This Train. Keith did ask Cash to sing along, but he didn't, as he thought it odd to be duetting on Loading Coal at a urinal.

However, in 1968, at the time of the Rock n Roll Circus, Johnny Cash was recovering from his first major bout of amphetamine addiction. The Stones were not exactly models of sobriety at this point, and it could have caused problems for a recovering addict.

Was Cash familiar, music-wise, with the blues ? The answer to that was resoundingly yes. He did an early blues song called Walkin The Blues at his first Columbia session from 1958. He was also familiar with a Memphis record store called Home Of The Blues, hence one of his early Sun Hits. I also think Rufus Thomas was a proprietor of Home Of The Blues, the store. Cash also covered Vera Hall's Another Man Done Gone from 1963 on Blood, Sweat, & Tears, and I Got A Woman and What'd I Say from 1967's Carryin' On with June Carter. Unlike other country acts, Cash was no stranger to the blues, which would be the Sun influence.

Thank you Tom!
Cash is still so good to listen to. And he was such a nice man.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 16, 2012 07:59

Cash was such a great one. His music made mé love the type of soulish outlaw c&w. It gave me hope that country music could be good. I started learning country in the good way, the Keith way. It all started with JC though. Love him to death.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 16, 2012 10:33

Made In The Shade

Country music singer-songwriter Johnny Cash, front left, and Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, second from right, jam with Sid McGinnis (rear left), Steve Cropper (over Cash’s shoulder), U2 guitarist The Edge, (rear center), and rocker Little Richard (dark glasses, far right), at the end of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremonies in New York, Jan. 16, 1992. Cash was inducted into the Hall of Fame. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

THAT'S a very nice pic! Never saw it, thanks!
I love Johnny cash, a good man with the heart on the right place!
His music make you feel good!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 16, 2012 10:46

...recall readin' somewhere that Johnny had a home beside or close by Keith's in Jamaica

ROCKMAN

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 16, 2012 11:09

Keith Richards answers a question from a fan. The video was posted on his website around 2004. Did Johnny Cash influenced Keith ?

Date: September 16, 2012 11:20

ROCKMAN

Date: September 16, 2012 12:03

Nice info! Thanks Rockman!

Date: September 16, 2012 12:05

....anytime steffie

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 16, 2012 12:24

Dreamer
tomcasagranda
Cash wise:

Thank you Tom!
Cash is still so good to listen to. And he was such a nice man.

There are some horrendous moments by Johnny Cash; he really hit a downward spiral from 1974 - 1994. Yet on every album, there's a moment of pure gold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home