Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1966 NME Awards show
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 10, 2012 19:08

Happy Jack
Wasn't the Saint/James Bond Roger Moore a presenter at some of these NME shows?

He was the presenter of the 1968 Poll Winners concert.

[www.nme.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 10, 2012 20:51

tomk
The greatest bill ever: Beatles, Stones, Who, Small Faces, Yardbirds, Spencer Davis Group, Roy Orbison, Dusty, and others.
BTW, notice Paul's chipped front tooth?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 10, 2012 20:58

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
stonesnow
tatters
Surprising also that in 1965 when donning disguises in the film Help they anticipated uncannily the look of their later period.

Is that Yoko's reflection in the mirror????

Wow, didn't even notice that! No, it's not her, but like the rest of the disguises, another prophetic bit of symbolism--and she is standing nearest to John...

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:03

tatters
Admit it. Aren't you just a little surprised that this late in their career (only a year before Let It Be) someone got them to put on matching shirts and act as if they were still the lovable mop tops of 1964?

yes. i admit it. i am surprised.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:11

lunar!!!
tatters
Admit it. Aren't you just a little surprised that this late in their career (only a year before Let It Be) someone got them to put on matching shirts and act as if they were still the lovable mop tops of 1964?

It was done as a joke for duck's sake. Irony, you know, the Breakfast of rock and roll bands since 1991.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 10, 2012 21:15

tatters
They did the same thing in the video for Hello Goodbye. Big deal.

Date: September 10, 2012 21:23

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 11, 2012 01:53

GumbootCloggeroo
tatters
They did the same thing in the video for Hello Goodbye. Big deal.

Yep, at 1:42 the 1967 Beatles can be seen wearing their 1963 collarless suit jackets, as if to say, "See how much we've changed? We're not those guys anymore!", and yet, there they are at the end of Yellow Submarine, the Beatles imitating the Monkees imitating the Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-11 05:09 by tatters.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 11, 2012 03:18

what was the stones set list at the 66 poll winners show?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2012 03:57

melillo

The Last Time, Play with Fire, Satisfaction

This was also the final Beatles UK concert performance, I think.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 11, 2012 05:08

Gazza
melillo

Yep, unless the rooftop counts.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 11, 2012 05:52

As an American I've never heard of some of those groups. Every time I open a MOJO it seems there's something about the Walker Brothers. I don't remember hearing about them at all. And what the hell is a Dave Dee, Dozy, whatever?

Interesting that the writer noticed Brian 'mournfully swishing away' on his guitar, as if he'd already given up. This in contrast to previous NME shows when he was animated, dancing, singing, and trying to hog the spotlight away from Jagger.

Posted by: belubettlo ()
Date: September 11, 2012 07:49

24FPS
As an American I've never heard of some of those groups. Every time I open a MOJO it seems there's something about the Walker Brothers. I don't remember hearing about them at all. And what the hell is a Dave Dee, Dozy, whatever?

Walker Bros. were a British invasion in reverse in that they came from US to seek fame and fortune in swinging London, and didn't do too badly, Scott Walker in particular.
They were formed in LA, so maybe that's why one of their songs in UK was called The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore.

As for Dave Dee et al, the less said about them, the better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-11 08:17 by belubettlo.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: September 11, 2012 08:22

24FPS
lunar!!!
tatters

It was done as a joke for duck's sake. Irony, you know, the Breakfast of rock and roll bands since 1991.

the matching somber colours were meant to facilitate adding animation to their sequence, but as often is the case, the film makers ran out of time and money...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 11, 2012 09:23

2000 LYFH
tomk
The greatest bill ever: Beatles, Stones, Who, Small Faces, Yardbirds, Spencer Davis Group, Roy Orbison, Dusty, and others.

Paul (in his authorized biography MANY YEARS FROM NOW) said he grew his SGT. PEPPER mustache to cover a scar he got on his lip after falling off a moped in Liverpool. But he didn't mention a chipped tooth. And this chipped tooth is pre-PEPPER. Was the chipped tooth from a different accident?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 11, 2012 14:18

tatters
Gazza
melillo

Yep, unless the rooftop counts.

Yep..thats why I said 'concert'. It was a bit hard to see them that day unless you were in an office block!

Date: September 11, 2012 15:50

Title5Take1
2000 LYFH
tomk

Paul (in his authorized biography MANY YEARS FROM NOW) said he grew his SGT. PEPPER mustache to cover a scar he got on his lip after falling off a moped in Liverpool. But he didn't mention a chipped tooth. And this chipped tooth is pre-PEPPER. Was the chipped tooth from a different accident?

Sunday 26 December 1965

In what would become one of the key 'clues' in the 'Paul is dead' myth, on this day Paul McCartney suffered a moped accident while visiting his family in Liverpool.

McCartney fell from his moped and chipped a front tooth. He also cut his lip and was left with a scar.

Brian Epstein:
"Last mid-December, Paul injured his lip and chipped his tooth in the moped accident. He honestly thought no one would notice the chip, for it is so small. I told him three times he should do something about it. It is in a place where there are no nerve ends, so there is no pain. Paul assured me that he would have the tooth capped, but - unfortunately - he has not done so. Could he be afraid of the dentist? It is my opinion that he will just let it be."

Also on the night time ride was Tara Browne, McCartney's friend. Browne was the Guinness heir whose death later inspired John Lennon to write the opening lines of A Day In The Life.

I had an accident when I came off a moped in Wirral, near Liverpool. I had a very good friend who lived in London called Tara Browne, a Guinness heir - a nice Irish guy, very sensitive bloke. I'd see him from time to time, and enjoyed being around him. He came up to visit me in Liverpool once when I was there seeing my dad and brother. I had a couple of mopeds on hire, so we hit upon the bright idea of going to my cousin Bett's house.

We were riding along on the mopeds. I was showing Tara the scenery. He was behind me, and it was an incredible full moon; it really was huge. I said something about the moon and he said 'yeah', and I suddenly had a freeze-frame image of myself at that angle to the ground when it's too late to pull back up again: I was still looking at the moon and then I looked at the ground, and it seemed to take a few minutes to think, 'Ah, too bad - I'm going to smack that pavement with my face!' Bang!

There I was, chipped tooth and all. it came through my lip and split it. But I got up and we went along to my cousin's house. When I said, 'Don't worry, Bett, but I've had a bit of an accident,' she thought I was joking. She creased up laughing at first, but then she went 'Holy...!' I'd really given my face a good old smack; it looked like I'd been in the ring with Tyson for a few rounds. So she rang a friend of hers who was a doctor.

He came round on the spot, took a needle out and, after great difficulty threading it, put it in the first half of the wound. He was shaking a bit, but got it all the way through, and then he said, ''Oh, the thread's just come out - I'll have to do it again!' No anaesthetic. I was standing there while he rethreaded it and pulled it through again.

In fact that was why I started to grow a moustache. It was pretty embarrassing, because around that time you knew your pictures would get winged off to teeny-boppery magazines like 16, and it was pretty difficult to have a new picture taken with a big fat lip. So I started to grow a moustache - a sort of Sancho Panza - mainly to cover where my lip had been sewn.

It caught on with the guys in the group: if one of us did something like growing his hair long and we liked the idea, we'd all tend to do it. And then it became seen as a kind of revolutionary idea, that young men of our age definitely ought to grow a moustache! And it all fell in with the Sgt Pepper thing, because he had a droopy moustache.

Paul McCartney
Anthology

McCartney's chipped tooth and scar can be seen in the promotional videos for Paperback Writer and Rain, which were filmed in London in May 1966.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 11, 2012 18:25

I think this is a case of revisionist history from Paul. That middle picture is from the last revolver session where short of a song John pulled out She Said She Said and Paul pulled out Maxwells Silver Hammer. George tried to play Isnt It A Pity but realised the other two weren't listening and had to pull them apart . That's why Paul left the studio and George plays bass and does the backing vocals on she said she said.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home