Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Are most fans of The Stones fans of The Doors?
Date: September 8, 2012 04:44

what i like about the doors is eveery show was different. i have pretty much every doors live album they've released, most are from the 1970 tour, and the mood at every show is different

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 05:43

enough said

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 05:48

I would call myself a casual fan. I have all the studio albums, and a handful of live albums, but I pretty much have to be in JUST the right mood to enjoy The Doors, and that's not a mood that strikes me all that often. 1-2 times a month at most. It's mainly Ray Manzarek. Not that I have anything against him, or his abilities, it's just his sound that often rubs me the wrong way. It's a little too circus/honky tonk for me on most days. In one sense it does give them a very unique sound and sets them apart, it just sets them apart from what I personally like. I really like Krieger's style of playing, which makes the overpowering keyboard/piano playing all the more annoying to me. But at the same time I realize they probably would have been nothing more than a footnote without Ray.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 8, 2012 07:03

I am most defininately a fan. LA Woman is a great album and I also like the song. For me The Doors is one of the 2 o3 best debut albums in history. I also think the Sof Parade is very underated/

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 07:37

The Doors have some fantastic material. And they have some incredibly cheesy and pretentious stuff as well. Their first album and LA Woman are great! I like them, but tire of them quickly and rarely go on Doors marathons, like say epic Stones marathons.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 8, 2012 11:46

The Wick
MILKYWAY
Why does every IORR thread about the Doors spiral into a "Morrison sucks, Jagger's better" shoutfest?

Come to think of it, it happens with the Beatles threads too. Replacing "Morrison" with "McCartney", of course.

You hear shouting? Where? I gave my opinion on Bill Wyman's take which was a good one and others gave their take. It all seems very civil to me. It seems like a normal discussion.

Yes, it's normal, civil and cool. No shouting. But Bill Wyman's take was rather arrogant and silly - Jim Morrison didnt wanna be Mick, no - he wanted to be black blues guy just like Mick did too. Jim loved the blues and old blues singers - not every white guy in rock n roll wanted to be Mick. They wanted to black bluesmen at the time.

Jim was lot more poetic. There were times when Mick wanted to be Bob Dylan as a lyricist and Jim wanted to be real poet like Willaim Blake or something...Mick and Jim - They sounded totally different even with the same kind of influences.
Besides what the Stones and Doors did musically was really different at the time, So I dont think Bill Wyman was really paying attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-08 16:35 by seitan.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 8, 2012 13:11

My feelings are somewhat ambivalent about The Doors.

Years' back I went to university, in the early 90s, and everyone had Doors posters (You know the one, it's on the front of the Jerry Hopkins book "No-One Here Gets Out Alive). Maybe I was different, but I didn't much like the albums up to the Soft parade. However, I do still love Morrison Hotel and LA Woman, but blues-rock wise, it's the Stones and Led Zeppelin that float my boat, with Humble Pie's Rockin The Fillmore a close third.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: September 8, 2012 16:11

tomcasagranda
My feelings are somewhat ambivalent about The Doors.

Years' back I went to university, in the early 90s, and everyone had Doors posters (You know the one, it's on the front of the Jerry Hopkins book "No-One Here Gets Out Alive). Maybe I was different, but I didn't much like the albums up to the Soft parade. However, I do still love Morrison Hotel and LA Woman, but blues-rock wise, it's the Stones and Led Zeppelin that float my boat, with Humble Pie's Rockin The Fillmore a close third.

Yes Tom, Rockin' The Fillmore is a great Live album. All their early 70's albums were good. Lost track of them after Eat It, but they had a great run from 1970-1973. Steve Marriott (RIP) one of the best singers in rock ever!

Side one

"Four Day Creep" (Ida Cox) – 3:46
"I'm Ready" (Humble Pie, words by Willie Dixon) – 8:31
"Stone Cold Fever" (Humble Pie) – 6:18

Side two

"I Walk on Gilded Splinters" (Dr John Creaux) – 23:25

Side three

"Rollin' Stone" (Muddy Waters arranged by Humble Pie) – 16:07

Side four

"Hallelujah I Love Her So" (Ray Charles) – 5:10
"I Don't Need No Doctor" (Nick Ashford, Valerie Simpson, Jo Armstead) – 9:15

Oh yeah - Love the Doors

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 8, 2012 16:37

The Doors earned their California nickname The Bores.

They are no better than your average garage band with a poet who thinks he can sing...and a beat poet at that. Nothing worse...

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 8, 2012 19:28

seitan
The Wick
MILKYWAY
Why does every IORR thread about the Doors spiral into a "Morrison sucks, Jagger's better" shoutfest?

Come to think of it, it happens with the Beatles threads too. Replacing "Morrison" with "McCartney", of course.

You hear shouting? Where? I gave my opinion on Bill Wyman's take which was a good one and others gave their take. It all seems very civil to me. It seems like a normal discussion.

Yes, it's normal, civil and cool. No shouting. But Bill Wyman's take was rather arrogant and silly - Jim Morrison didnt wanna be Mick, no - he wanted to be black blues guy just like Mick did too. Jim loved the blues and old blues singers - not every white guy in rock n roll wanted to be Mick. They wanted to black bluesmen at the time.

Jim was lot more poetic. There were times when Mick wanted to be Bob Dylan as a lyricist and Jim wanted to be real poet like Willaim Blake or something...Mick and Jim - They sounded totally different even with the same kind of influences.
Besides what the Stones and Doors did musically was really different at the time, So I dont think Bill Wyman was really paying attention.

You hit the real connection -- both bands loved and came from the blues/rhythm and blues. It's more obvious with the Stones, but the Doors came out in '67, and the Stones weren't particularly at their bluesiest at that time either. But the 1st Doors LP had "Back Door Man", and later they recorded "Who Do You Love?" (great live version), "You Need Meat", "Crawling King Snake". And the last two albums were all about that roots influence. But like the Stones they incorporated other influences (pretty uniquely Flamenco) and what was in the air.

Its all a matter of taste of course but to be arrogantly dismissive of the Doors' talents and legacy is silly billy.

Somebody screamed....

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 8, 2012 19:49

slew
I am most defininately a fan. LA Woman is a great album and I also like the song. For me The Doors is one of the 2 o3 best debut albums in history. I also think the Sof Parade is very underated/

I think that Soft Parade is very underated too.

Most because had 2 shitty songs like Do It and Runnin'Blue and a average one, Easy Ride.

But the other songs, imo, are great

Particularly, Shaman's Blues are an obscure great song...

The Doors played some good blues covers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-09 04:11 by BJPortugal.

Date: September 8, 2012 20:00

Sure wish I was old enough to see them in the early days here at the Whiskey. Anyone see them here or any other band?

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 21:48

BJPortugal
Just curious smoking smiley

no

Date: September 9, 2012 05:17

In regards to the Soft Parade Runnin' Blue is one of the songs that I really like. BJPortugal you think the album is underated and you don't like Runnin' Blue and I do. Just goes to show everyone has different tastes.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 9, 2012 05:24

slew
In regards to the Soft Parade Runnin' Blue is one of the songs that I really like. BJPortugal you think the album is underated and you don't like Runnin' Blue and I do. Just goes to show everyone has different tastes.

And i celebrate to that smileys with beer

Date: September 9, 2012 06:25

i love the album THE SOFT PARADE

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 9, 2012 06:27

Hate Jim, love Keith

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 9, 2012 08:17

great great band
jeroen

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 9, 2012 15:16

Love the Doors. Jim Morrison was hugely gifted and it pained me to see him disintegrate so shockingly.

Date: September 9, 2012 15:23

Jim did go downhill quickly. He was in fine form on LA Woman though - which is one of the better final albums by a band. Hey who knew when it was released that it would be the final album.

Date: September 9, 2012 15:27

slew
Jim did go downhill quickly. He was in fine form on LA Woman though - which is one of the better final albums by a band. Hey who knew when it was released that it would be the final album.

it wasn't. they had 2 more albums as a trio

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 9, 2012 16:10

Had a few of their albums in the early 80s when I tried out all sorts of artists, but concluded that their sound was (imho) awful - too much keyboard and no bass player.

Some good songs though.

sc uk

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 9, 2012 16:17

They really were awful. Never understood the hype, and even more misunderstood the resurgence ...what a bad band.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: September 9, 2012 17:02

The Wick
MILKYWAY

Take it easy. My comment was not directed toward you at all. Didn't you see the other comments, like the one about the "peacock" singer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-09 18:38 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 9, 2012 17:12

As much as I love the Stones, I hate the Doors, esp. their organ.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 9, 2012 18:09

Not me. I really didnt like their sound at all and Morrisson.....yuck!

Krieger got some cool guitar tones but they were way way way overrated

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: September 9, 2012 18:19

The Wick
Not this one. Can't stand the music and Bill Wyman said it well when he went to see them at the Whiskey I think. He said, about Jim Morrison, we went and saw him try to be Mick for half an hour and then left.

Yeah it's not like Jagger ever "copied" anyone...oh wait.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: September 9, 2012 18:51

I like a few Doors songs, occasionally, maybe. I've never owned a Doors LP, cassette, 8-track, 45 or CD of any kind. Not a hater, I just don't really care for them.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: September 9, 2012 18:58

After reading through this thread, the answer to your question is definitely maybe

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: September 9, 2012 19:18

The first album is amazing. The rest are uneven IMHO. But I like the Doors but not enough to call myself a fan. Lately I've listened a lot to them for some reason. More than before. Amazing musicians all of them.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home