Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Marriott & Clempson "Say No More" 1973
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 22, 2022 23:33

From the looks of it, Steve's pretty wired....but still hits it out of the park. Nice performance with an off the cuff vibe...the guy was a natural performer.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Marriott & Clempson "Say No More" 1973
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 23, 2022 05:35

thumbs upThis is a really good one!

At the time of 1974, I truly assumed that Clempson would join in place of Taylor.

– What about the double guitar situation? Steve wasn’t only a singer but a guitarist as well.

Clempson- That’s right, but at that stage he’d only really been a rhythm guitarist,
and that had been a bit of a problem with Steve before, because he always felt that Peter [Frampton] was the lead guitarist
and that he was encroaching on Peter’s territory if he played anything other than rhythm guitar.
So I was happy for Steve to develop his playing and I tried to encourage him to.
And I was happy to learn something about playing rhythm, because that was an area that I didn’t understand much about
– you know, the big, heavy, powerful chords that people like Steve and Pete Townshend, and Keith Richards did and got such a fantastic sound –
and I learnt from Steve about that. I’d always been just as fascinated about rhythm guitar playing as by lead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-23 05:49 by Toru A.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 23, 2022 10:12

That’s really good. Steve Marriott was such a ferocious talent, and, in my opinion, criminally overlooked. He had everything: the image, songwriting, guitar-playing prowess, and, a voice like no other. I’m not overly familiar with Humble Pie, but the Small Faces were superb.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: October 23, 2022 12:18

Big Al
That’s really good. Steve Marriott was such a ferocious talent, and, in my opinion, criminally overlooked. He had everything: the image, songwriting, guitar-playing prowess, and, a voice like no other. I’m not overly familiar with Humble Pie, but the Small Faces were superb.

Agree (again!). I do have all the Humble Pie records too, but his songwriting was never quite as good after he left the Small Faces. Tin Soldier is one of my all-time favourite songs. All Or Nothing comes close. And they had these great b-sides like I'm Only Dreaming. Seems the collaboration with Ronnie Lane was actually very important.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home