Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: when Start Me Up came out...?
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 2, 2012 20:18

I love that cover pic from the Genius is Pain LP, never seen it before. When was that taken? what's the story there? Bill looks as cool as he's ever done, and Charlie's shades...!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 2, 2012 22:06

I was a pretty die-hard fan when TT came out but I must have missed the boots that had tunes that would later show up on TT. In retrospect it's kind of funny that me and my friends were saying things like, "Wow! What a fresh sound! They've really got the fire back!" when so many tracks were older than we knew. I will say I had suspicions as I'd listen to certain tracks and think, "That sounds like it could be from the Mick Taylor era," etc. Of course we all learned the truth later but who cares? It's still a great listen.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 2, 2012 23:58

ohcarol
Just started playing guitar when I heard this song.... so I learned how to tune to open-g and taught myself that riff... talk about heaven!!!!

That's it! You got the fever! Perfect memory...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2012 01:50

peoplewitheyes
I love that cover pic from the Genius is Pain LP, never seen it before. When was that taken? what's the story there? Bill looks as cool as he's ever done, and Charlie's shades...!

Wasn't that from an Emotional Rescue photo shoot?

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: September 3, 2012 15:53

Mathijs
[...] Then in '83 or so, several versions of SMU circulated (some of which have never been released on CD), together with a raw version of Neighbours.[...]

If what you are saying is true then bring them on, by all means.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 3, 2012 15:56

First heard it on the radio. I was 13 and already sort of a "fan" but for me the Stones at the time were only Rolled Gold and Love you Live (from my mom's collection). I wasn't expecting a new single (or LP) and I knew nothing of outtakes and boots. Start me up blew me away. I was convinced it was from an "old" LP I didn't have. I had to sing the song at the record store to explain what I wanted. I can't sing, so it took a while, but at the end I walked out with my first "contemporary" Stones LP: Tattoo You.

I confess that I hardly ever listened to Side B until I bought Tattoo on CD years later. Too much ballads and falsetto singing for the tough rocker that I was at the time ...

C

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 3, 2012 18:00

Carster
Mathijs
[...] Then in '83 or so, several versions of SMU circulated (some of which have never been released on CD), together with a raw version of Neighbours.[...]

Yep. Now for the bad news: I don't have them anymore. They where from a vinyl boot which I had a copy on tape. I always thought the vinyl was Paris Shuffle, but that turned out to be a different release. I had them on tape with side one the two SMU versions, which ran quite slow, and the second side was part of the Saturday Night Live rehearsals (BoB, SR). It could be that side one also had Slave, I am not sure anymore. Anyway -I had the tapes for years, and I have never heard the SMU versions on any CD release since. The tapes dissapeared when I decided to get rid of all tapes since I didn't have a tapedeck anymore.

Mathijs

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: September 3, 2012 19:43

Mathijs
Carster
Mathijs

Yep. Now for the bad news: I don't have them anymore. They where from a vinyl boot which I had a copy on tape. I always thought the vinyl was Paris Shuffle, but that turned out to be a different release. I had them on tape with side one the two SMU versions, which ran quite slow, and the second side was part of the Saturday Night Live rehearsals (BoB, SR). It could be that side one also had Slave, I am not sure anymore. Anyway -I had the tapes for years, and I have never heard the SMU versions on any CD release since. The tapes dissapeared when I decided to get rid of all tapes since I didn't have a tapedeck anymore.

Mathijs

Thanks for your detailed & useful answer. The vinyl source would be "Some Tattoos", "Special Collector's Series Volume 5" or "Works 24". But here is some more bad news, those two SMU versions are regarded as "Well-known" (available on CD). Carry on.

Date: September 3, 2012 19:54

boituvense
In Keith's book, he tells that START ME UP - the masterpiece version - was recorded at the same day of MISS YOU (masterpiece too).

It sure doesn't sound like it does it. To me it sounds like it is from the BAB sessions. I think there's a lot of not remembering the details exactly among the Stones and their people.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 3, 2012 21:07

Mathijs
Carster
Mathijs

Mathijs

The LP you describe could be "Some Tattos", released on OBR 93005, september 1984.

It includes :

1 8s 4.23 n Tops 3 slow March/june 1981 New York City electric ladyland studios

2 8s 4.11 n Start Me Up 2 slow October 1977 to March 1978 Paris Pathé-Marconi studios -

released on :

version time quality ness record name/tape n° RecordKind track session
2 4.14 9s n all inside in our crazy dreams bootleg 2 lp / Tattoo Productions slow 19780000A
2 3'56 9s Y All Inside In Our Crazy Dreams bootleg cd / Dog n Cat Records DAC-021 19780000A
2 3.55 9s Y genius is pain bootleg lp / NS 001/83 slow 19780000A
2 3'56 9s Y genius is pain cd-r cd-r (vinyl rip) / TDR 19780000A
2 3'54 9s n More Fast Numbers bootleg 2 cd / Dog and Cat Records DAC-097 19780000A
2 4.11 8s n some tattoos bootleg lp / Outsider Bird Records OBR 93005 slow 19780000A
2 3.55 9s n Tape 072 / 19780000A

3 9s 3.54 n Start Me Up 3 slow - end cut March/june 1981 New York City electric ladyland studios -

released on :

version time quality ness record name/tape n° RecordKind track session
3 3.59 9s n all inside in our crazy dreams bootleg 2 lp / Tattoo Productions 19810600A5
3 3'46 9s Y All Inside In Our Crazy Dreams bootleg cd / Dog n Cat Records DAC-021 19810600A5
3 4.06 9s n honky tonk heaven bootleg 2 lp / Mama Records MR 86-3 slow 19810600A5
3 4.06 8m n honky tonk heaven bootleg cd / Save The Earth 039 slow 19810600A5
3 3.54 9s n play the tattoo bootleg lp / Neighborhood Rec slow - end cut 19810600A5
3 3.54 9s n some tattoos bootleg lp / Outsider Bird Records OBR 93005 slow - end cut 19810600A5
3 3.52 9s n stonefence bootleg 7ep / # beg + end slight cut 19810600A5
3 3.49 9st n tape 054 / 19810600A5
3 3.55 9s n Tatoo You Sessions bootleg cd / Rogue RG-01 19810600A5
3 3'40 9s n Tattoo Too bootleg 2 cd / Rattle Snake RS 071/72 19810600A5
3 3'38 9s n Tattoo You Sessions cd-r 2 cd-r (tapes) / 19810600A5
3 3'43 10s Y Tattoo You Sessions cd-r 2 cd-r (tapes) / Stonefence 19810600A5

4 8s 7.13 n Slave 3 slow - part March/june 1981 New York City electric ladyland studios
1 9s 2.27 n Hang Fire 5 slow mid jan. to Feb.08, 1979 Nassau Compass Point Studios
2 9m n Beast Of Burden 11 track 6 October 06, 1978 Bill's Studios, Westchester NYC
3 9m n Beast Of Burden 11 track 7 October 06, 1978 Bill's Studios, Westchester NYC
4 9m n Beast Of Burden 11 track 8 October 06, 1978 Bill's Studios, Westchester NYC
5 9m n Beast Of Burden 11 track 9 October 06, 1978 Bill's Studios, Westchester NYC
6 9m n summer romance 11 track 10 October 06, 1978 Bill's Studios, Westchester NYC
7 9m n (jam) 0 11 October 06, 1978 Bill's Studios, Westchester NYC
8 9m n (drums) 0 12 October 06, 1978 Bill's Studios, Westchester NYC
9 9m n (jam) 0 13 October 06, 1978 Bill's Studios, Westchester NYC
10 9s 8.08 n Claudine 1 slow October 1977 to March 1978 Paris Pathé-Marconi studios

Both versions of Start Me Up have been released many times on CD.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: September 3, 2012 21:21

loog droog
I recall hearing the first time "Start Me Up" was played on LA radio.

It was a summer evening and I was driving on the way to pick up my girl. We were going to see Teddy Pendergrass with the Pointer Sisters at the Greek.

I'm listening to KMET, and the DJ excitedly says, "We just got the new Stones single!"

Boom! He puts it on... Hearing those riffs for the first time was UNBELIEVABLE! I think my jaw dropped... It was such a great song...my eyes were tearing up! After so many years, the Stones had hit the high marks that they themselves had set...and they did it on their own terms, not by trying disco or pretending to be punks...once again, they sounded like THE STONES!!

The record ended. Then, without a word, the DJ plays it again! And again! Three plays in a row! Unprecedented!

I was on the freeway, and the colors of the sun setting were just beautiful...for a fan it was a perfect moment.

The Stones were back.

Jim Ladd by any chance?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 3, 2012 22:56

Long John Stoner
loog droog
I recall hearing the first time "Start Me Up" was played on LA radio.

It was a summer evening and I was driving on the way to pick up my girl. We were going to see Teddy Pendergrass with the Pointer Sisters at the Greek.

I'm listening to KMET, and the DJ excitedly says, "We just got the new Stones single!"

Boom! He puts it on... Hearing those riffs for the first time was UNBELIEVABLE! I think my jaw dropped... It was such a great song...my eyes were tearing up! After so many years, the Stones had hit the high marks that they themselves had set...and they did it on their own terms, not by trying disco or pretending to be punks...once again, they sounded like THE STONES!!

The record ended. Then, without a word, the DJ plays it again! And again! Three plays in a row! Unprecedented!

I was on the freeway, and the colors of the sun setting were just beautiful...for a fan it was a perfect moment.

The Stones were back.

Jim Ladd by any chance?

Now there's a detail that escapes me. It could have been the "Lonesome L.A. Cowboy," but I really can't say.

Date: September 4, 2012 00:09

LiveAtHidepark

The LP you describe could be "Some Tattos", released on OBR 93005, september 1984.

No it's not this one -I have all OBR complete. It's not on Rattlesnake's release -I did that one. My best guess is the tape was a mix -we'd recorded all boots available back than on tape, and Roadrunner ended up next to a fabulous Fingerprint File from July 10 '75, in a quality that was just superb. Never heard that one again either.

Mathijs

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 4, 2012 00:46

Mathijs
LiveAtHidepark

No it's not this one -I have all OBR complete. It's not on Rattlesnake's release -I did that one. My best guess is the tape was a mix -we'd recorded all boots available back than on tape, and Roadrunner ended up next to a fabulous Fingerprint File from July 10 '75, in a quality that was just superb. Never heard that one again either.

Mathijs

I understand. Your tape was probably a mix of different things from tapes and vinyls.
FF from 10-07-1975 was released in vg++ mono (exc audience) on CHARLIE WATTS AND HIS FABULOUS ROLLING STONES.

Sorry that you lost your tape with such gems as unreleased studio versions of SMU and superb recording of FF 10-07-1975.
That's life.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 4, 2012 04:28

I remember typing Rolling Stones bootlegs into my Commodore 64 yet nothing happened.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 4, 2012 08:53

From what I remember, we all loved it. Good party tune, really. The production was tight, crisp, drums were loud. I thought it was a bit repetitive, but oh, well. Unfortunately that's where the 5-string kind of took over everything and now it's just a cliche,almost tiresome.

I may be in the minority here, but I remember in 1981 when SMU and TY came out that the Some Girls era was WAY in the past, even though it was only 3 years gone. I remember talking to a friend back then (in '81) about the Knack's My Sharona record (which was 1979) and him saying that that was "years ago," and it was already outdated. And it was. My Sharona already sounded old in 1981. But the Doors were making a comeback in '81, and that was hip, and Zeppelin were always hip, so who knows.

Date: September 4, 2012 11:26

LiveAtHidepark
Mathijs
LiveAtHidepark

Mathijs

I understand. Your tape was probably a mix of different things from tapes and vinyls.
FF from 10-07-1975 was released in vg++ mono (exc audience) on CHARLIE WATTS AND HIS FABULOUS ROLLING STONES.

Sorry that you lost your tape with such gems as unreleased studio versions of SMU and superb recording of FF 10-07-1975.
That's life.

Er, after collecting more than 1500 boots on vinyl and CD, and releasing a bunch myself, I quite know what can be found where.

FF wasn't from CWAHFRS, it was from a tape trader and it sounded as good as LA Friday. Another gem I had on tape: Jah is not Dead, in far better quality than ever released on CD.

Remember, in the 80's everybody was trading tapes, and the bootleggers released whatever thay had. So if they had a 5th generation copy of a show they would release it, even though the first generation tape was readily available. Most if this is coorected later on, but not all. The Richards gig with Jerry Lee Lewis was available in far better quality than what is available now. If you have a Video 2000 player you can have the tape.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home