Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT RIP Neil Armstrong
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 26, 2012 04:22

I remember a friend had a copy of the New York Daily news about the moon landing and as cool as that was in the centerfold it had a photo spread of the Doors live at Madison Square Garden!

Moon landing? The Doors live?

No question about it.

"People walking on the moon . . .. Smog gonna get them pretty soon."

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 26, 2012 04:45

..., RIP
... Neil
Armstrong

:(

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 26, 2012 05:07

RIP Neil.
And yes, we did go to the moon. There are many reasons we haven't returned to the moon. Economics being one, and the need to go back. There is actually a lot of evidence of the moon landings...moon rocks for one that have been independently analyzed and on display in museums. There are too many people in the chain of development that would have leaked some conspiracy to fool the world. Thousands of NASA employees over the years. Space exploration in the 70s and 80s switched to the development of a reusable space craft instead of further moon landings. Mainly because scientist agreed we have learned a hell of a lot about the moon and research and development switched to developing reusable spacecraft and sending probes (such as Voyager) to other planets. There is still talk of returning to the moon. China for one. But also NASA has come up with an idea of having a moon base as a launching platform for a manned flight to Mars. But where's the money? Most people don't know that the Defense Department has a much larger space budget than NASA.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 26, 2012 05:44

A true hero. Sadly, they don't make 'em like that anymore. He had The Right Stuff.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 26, 2012 06:07

I went to Purdue and Neil Armstrong was of course legendary there. As I was graduating they were finally building a building in his honor. Quite appropriatly it is shaped in a star.
RIP Neil.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 26, 2012 10:55

stonesnow
About this Moon landing/exploration business... If humankind really went there, and spent several years striving to get there, then why haven't humans returned there in 40 years?

Because.. it was expensive. Incredibly expensive.

It was dangerous, it was only a matter of time before a crew was lost. Nearly happened with Apollo 13 (and 10 and 12 actually).

Because the public lost interest - hard to believe but true- all the missions looked the same and Kojak was on.

The race was won, the point was proven, the Moon was Americas and the Russians had given up.

Space is hostile place, short trips outside the Van Allen belt is one thing, long term trips are going to kill - manned trips to Mars or living on the Moon are a much bigger problem than the 4 day Apollo trips.

And the biggest reason.. POLITICS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-26 10:56 by GravityBoy.

Date: August 26, 2012 11:15

stonesnow
The biggest argument against a human journey to the Moon and beyond is the intense radiation of the Van Allen belt, against which no craft or spacesuit of that time could have served as protection, the cosmic rays from which would mean instant cancer for any living organism.

Nonsense - another one of the hoax believers favorites.

This web site is good for anyone seriously interested in finding out whether the nonsense being given them about a hoax is true or not.

[www.clavius.org]

Spend some time there, all your questions will be answered.

Also the NASA plan for dealing with radiaition on the Apollo trips is well documented and has been available for over 40 years.

[www.braeunig.us]

More here.

[www.wwheaton.com]

Lots actually if you were interested and prepared to Google it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 26, 2012 19:07

stonesnow
About this Moon landing/exploration business... If humankind really went there, and spent several years striving to get there, then why haven't humans returned there in 40 years? It just doesn't fit the human pattern of exploration. Trans-oceanic travel, the Vikings and Columbus in the so-called "New World", the Northwest Passage, the populating of the United States from east to west, the North Pole, the South Pole, the bottoms of oceans, the tops of mountains--once humans explore new territory, they return to it and forge ahead with colonization. So no, sorry to all those who feel they witnessed a special moment in history and are mourning the loss of a hero today, but something about the Moon exploration story just doesn't add up...

I am totally skeptical about this. How can land a craft made of tin foil and then take off again and come back to Earth? If it was so easy then they could do it with their eyes closed today but for some reason they do not. Cost my ass. Do it again with the same technology. Just look at that space craft and honestly tell me that thing landed on the moon and returned. Not 40 years ago.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 26, 2012 19:21

The Sicilian
stonesnow
About this Moon landing/exploration business... If humankind really went there, and spent several years striving to get there, then why haven't humans returned there in 40 years? It just doesn't fit the human pattern of exploration. Trans-oceanic travel, the Vikings and Columbus in the so-called "New World", the Northwest Passage, the populating of the United States from east to west, the North Pole, the South Pole, the bottoms of oceans, the tops of mountains--once humans explore new territory, they return to it and forge ahead with colonization. So no, sorry to all those who feel they witnessed a special moment in history and are mourning the loss of a hero today, but something about the Moon exploration story just doesn't add up...

I am totally skeptical about this. How can land a craft made of tin foil and then take off again and come back to Earth? If it was so easy then they could do it with their eyes closed today but for some reason they do not. Cost my ass. Do it again with the same technology. Just look at that space craft and honestly tell me that thing landed on the moon and returned. Not 40 years ago.
But... But.... if he cheated and didnt really land on the moon... wouldnt the USADA (or someother flunky group) investigate him endlessly and try to take away Armstrong's landing on the moon titles?... and wouldnt the jealous internet blog posting naysayers go on and on and on and on endlessly accusing him of being a cheat? ... or do they just do that for really really important things, like bike races and playing baseball... not stupid little things like landing on the moon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-26 19:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: August 26, 2012 20:11

The Sicilian

Who said it was easy?

It certainly wasn't.

If you want to know about the development of "tin foil" lunar lander then read the excellent book by the designer Thomas J Kelly called "Moon Lander".

"Cost my ass".

Do you know how much the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo missions cost?

A hugmongous amount of money.

They had 400,000 people working on this.

Each spacecraft was made of millions of parts.

It's the most openly publically documented project in history.

You have to give us sound technical reasons why the lander couldn't land on the Moon.

I look forward to hearing your reasons.

The LEM was absolutely fit for purpose.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 26, 2012 20:31

They could not live broadcast a television signal from the friggin' moon in 1969.

Date: August 26, 2012 21:45

Bill Clinton dropped a big hint, if not outright signaling a fraud, in his autobiography...

Bill Clinton in his 2004 autobiography, My Life, states (on page 156): "Just a month before, Apollo 11 astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong had left their colleague, Michael Collins, aboard spaceship Columbia and walked on the Moon...The old carpenter asked me if I really believed it happened. I said sure, I saw it on television. He disagreed; he said that he didn't believe it for a minute, that 'them television fellers' could make things look real that weren't. Back then, I thought he was a crank. During my eight years in Washington, I saw some things on TV that made me wonder if he wasn't ahead of his time."

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 26, 2012 22:06

I wonder if NA has left a statement behind regarding what they REALLY saw above and on the moon, the spaceships and the large non-natural structures already there?

SonicD

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 26, 2012 22:09

SonicDreamer
I wonder if NA has left a statement behind regarding what they REALLY saw above and on the moon, the spaceships and the large non-natural structures already there?

SonicD

First I've heard of this.

Care to share some details ?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 26, 2012 22:16

SonicDreamer

SonicD

Some of you seem to have lost your way...

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 26, 2012 22:23

We had to of gone to the Moon. How else did we get the pictures of Earth from the Moon?

Date: August 26, 2012 22:29

2000 LYFH
We had to of gone to the Moon. How else did we get the pictures of Earth from the Moon?

Don't you know ?

The government already had Photoshop back then. eye rolling smiley

Date: August 26, 2012 22:43

Edith Grove
2000 LYFH

Don't you know ?

The government already had Photoshop back then. eye rolling smiley

How did Stanley Kubrick have pictures of Jupiter in the film 2001?

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: August 26, 2012 22:49

Carl Sagan said that he was told in the late 1970s that the Apollo Program was about developing the rocket, not visiting the moon. Once the rockets were proven, there was no need to return. The moon was chosen to get public support for the huge cost.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 26, 2012 22:50

The Sicilian
stonesnow

Most conspiracy theories (9/11, Roswell etc) just make me laugh but I get a little upset about the Moon ones because it's an insult to people like Armstrong. If you find the tin foil spaceship hard to believe how hard is it to believe that for 40 years thousands of people have kept this is a secret? The world (including the Russians) were monitoring the whole thing surely somebody would have noticed the spaceship didn't go to the Moon?

Date: August 26, 2012 22:55

Braincapers
The Sicilian
stonesnow

Well, I'm not sure about the moon landing. I have a lot of doubts, obviously. I have no doubts AT ALL about 9.11.

Most conspiracy theories (9/11, Roswell etc) just make me laugh but I get a little upset about the Moon ones because it's an insult to people like Armstrong. If you find the tin foil spaceship hard to believe how hard is it to believe that for 40 years thousands of people have kept this is a secret? The world (including the Russians) were monitoring the whole thing surely somebody would have noticed the spaceship didn't go to the Moon?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 27, 2012 00:09

I would say go back to the moon and show them the flag and the foot prints................they still there I presume...........

By the way how did they know that they could landed on the Moon? what if the the dust on the Moon wasn't just a few centimeters but one meter or more.

I did believed the Moon landing when I saw it back in '69 ...but I have my doubts

Date: August 27, 2012 00:25

NICOS.

Google "Surveyor".

They landed unmanned craft before the Apollo landings, so did the Russians.

Date: August 27, 2012 00:26

Send It To me
They could not live broadcast a television signal from the friggin' moon in 1969.

Why not?

Date: August 27, 2012 00:33

I think Alice Kramden might have beaten Armstrong to the moon:

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 27, 2012 00:34

I first

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-27 11:35 by SonicDreamer.

Date: August 27, 2012 01:30

GravityBoy
Send It To me

Why not?

For starters, the moon is really, really, really, really far away - its not like a simple satellite broadcast (the first of those was, I believe, 1967 or so). Cameras and broadcast equipment were very heavy and cumbersome in 1969 as well - was there just a set of rabbit ears on top of the lander?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:30

Send It To me
GravityBoy
Send It To me

Why not?

For starters, the moon is really, really, really, really far away - its not like a simple satellite broadcast (the first of those was, I believe, 1967 or so). Cameras and broadcast equipment were very heavy and cumbersome in 1969 as well - was there just a set of rabbit ears on top of the lander?

Well, here's the cameras. But I guess they're fake, too, right?
Oh, BTW, my dad worked on the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions.
I guess he's been lying to me for 40-plus years, is that right?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:32

NICOS
I would say go back to the moon and show them the flag and the foot prints................they still there I presume...........

With Google Earth I can see the vegetable garden in my backyard. Show me the flag or left behind material on the moon.

Date: August 27, 2012 03:40

The Sicilian
Show me the flag or left behind material on the moon.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home