Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RollingStone magazine: The Good, the Bad and the Angie
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 21, 2012 02:15

RollingStones magazine has an album guide to The Rolling Stones.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: RollingStone magazine: The Good, the Bad and the Angie
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 21, 2012 02:24

Great!!!!!!!!!!! if I read this I'm out "You Got the Silver" was Keith's first lead vocal on a Stones LP.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 21, 2012 02:40

No first album ...No Bridges and they chose the US Aftermath ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 21, 2012 02:52

The best thing about the article is the title, it goes downhill quickly from there.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 21, 2012 03:20

It's a good list. Props for them putting it togther for anyone wanting to delve into the catalog but don't know where to start. It may not have everyone's personal favorites but the intent is appreciated. Anyone diving into this many albums will surely pick up the others later.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 21, 2012 03:36

Either the world is running out of good music to write about or Rolling Stone magazine is running out things to write about... or both.

Re: RollingStone magazine: The Good, the Great and the Angie
Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 21, 2012 03:55

Boy, are they right in the title about Angie. It's neither great nor good. Unfortunatley, they praise it in the text.

Rolling Stone's standards have slipped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-21 03:59 by bam.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: August 21, 2012 04:19

Justin
It's a good list. Props for them putting it togther for anyone wanting to delve into the catalog but don't know where to start. It may not have everyone's personal favorites but the intent is appreciated. Anyone diving into this many albums will surely pick up the others later.

+1. If it helps bring in the next generation of fans, I'm all for it.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: August 21, 2012 04:21

Read this today, as my issue arrived in my mailbox this morning. I didn't agree with everything, but overall, I'd say they did a nice job there.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 21, 2012 04:27

I am not sure I would change much on that list. Good to see NOW included. That is a fine album. I suppose it did not qualify, but where is "Ya-Ya's"? For my personal unlimited pleasure it is the greatest RnR album ever done. It never misses.

Date: August 21, 2012 05:41

Angie kills it.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 21, 2012 05:45

pmk251
... but where is "Ya-Ya's"? ....

I am guessing due to the severe space limitations of the internet that RSM could not include all the albums/CDs.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 21, 2012 09:05

I was pissed when I thought they were slagging Angie, which is one of their all time top ten songs. It was certainly a massive world wide hit. But then the article got better and generally got things right.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 21, 2012 11:59

24FPS
I was pissed when I thought they were slagging Angie, which is one of their all time top ten songs. It was certainly a massive world wide hit. But then the article got better and generally got things right.

I agree - the list is generally o.k.(but I miss GYYYO too) I wouldn't rate "now" and Between the Buttons as high, but the remarks about Stray Cat Blues and Angie are brief but spot on.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 21, 2012 12:44

Although I don't like the way the US albums got split differently... I like the title "December's Children (And Everybody's)"

Don't know why.. it's a bit hippy and mysterious maybe.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: August 21, 2012 12:53

NICOS
Great!!!!!!!!!!! if I read this I'm out "You Got the Silver" was Keith's first lead vocal on a Stones LP.

I always considered "Connection" as the 1st KR lead vocal on a Stones song. It's shared vocals, I agree, but KR sing it all along. Very nice song.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: August 21, 2012 13:12

Hmm, it seems a bit inaccurate.

I mean, they talk about Infamy from ABB and mention Keith and cocktail ballads, so surely they mean 'This Place Is Empty'...?

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 21, 2012 22:10

Typical half-ass throwaway list by that tattered, faded Leftist rag. Rolling Stone used to be relevant...about 35 years ago. Since then it has devolved into literary refuse. Their latest cover is a new low...

...and this list is as perfunctory, superficial and yawn inducing as their usual drivel. Perfect example of their insistence on injecting their vacuum-sealed, echo-chamber, incestuous, faux-elitist, wanna-be OWS New Yawk hyper-liberal bias into their "review" of the Stones' A Bigger Bang:

Key Track: "Sweet Neo Con," where Mick rips Republicans a new one.

Sure. Yea...that's the "Key Track" on ABB, you cretins...maybe in your blinkered universe...for the rest of us that is the crappiest track the Stones recorded for the album...a gratuitous PC, lame-ass attempt at political "commentary" by a multi-millionaire dilettante. An embarrassment.

And then they dig themselves an even bigger hole...

Best Keith Moment: "Infamy." If he ever decides he wants to start doing LPs of cocktail ballads, he could give Rod Stewart a run for his money.

I think you mean "This Place Is Empty", but then I doubt the intern writing this shit has even heard the album...

Fresh Ones: The guys wanted new songs to play live, even if fans didn't. "They say, 'I much prefer to hear 'Brown Sugar,'?" Mick said. "Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer."

Really? How heroic of Mick...how long did that attitude last? 3 concerts? I saw them 3 times on the U.S. leg and another 5 times on the European leg and I distinctly remember hearing basically nothing of ABB after the first month and absolutely nothing from it on the European concerts except "Streets Of Love". I guess Mick does give a shit what "you prefer"...

What a farce of a list...and no Ya Ya's...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 21, 2012 22:27

Turd On The Run
Rolling Stone used to be relevant...about 35 years ago. Since then it has devolved into literary refuse. Their latest cover is a new low...

Ragging on RS magazine is a favorite (and easy) activity amongst many across music boards on the internet but I've recently come to realze that most of the whining about it is by the same burntout classic rock fans who don't listen to any music post 1985. They call the magazine "irrelevant" but in reality it's actually YOU yourself who is outdated. What do you want exactly? David Bowie and Mick Jagger on the cover? Still? They're old dudes. RS magazine still focuses on a wide variety of music indie and mainstream. Their profile pieces is some of the best in print.

Don't blame the magazine just because you're the one still stuck in the 70's.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 22, 2012 20:48

No "burn-out" Classic Rock fan am I -- though I love much of the genre. My music collection (and my socio/political reading list) is up to date and constantly being renewed and refreshed. What remains stuck in an echo-chamber time-warp is the incestuous, blinkered inanity that Rolling Stone Magazine has been for years...trivial to the extreme...and totally irrelevant to anyone aside from impressionable college sophomores. The same film critic for 30 years, music reviews written by either over-age leftovers or summer trainees...and a one-sided, toe-the-Leftist-Establishment-Party-Line political screed that is so tedious and predictable as to have devolved into parody.

Rolling Stone in the early days always surprised and provoked...now it only piles on the Talking-Points Propaganda and endlessly retreads Nostalgia like Best Of lists that are trotted out regularly and which have no more meaning...and profile pieces that are sub-standard and largely insignificant to the Zeitgeist...a sad devolution for a once proud rag...

Date: August 22, 2012 21:16

Well, it started out as Left Wing and toned down the politics pretty quick and was an entertainment magazine by the early 70s, only a scant few years after it's inception in '67. I guess I'm an impressionable college sophomore. I find it a mix of good, bad, and some great. Matt Taibi's stuff is brilliant. I have some far end people (who are tedious) who say it's old stuff (they watch Democracy Now & such). But Rolling Stone is bringing this information to a general audience and actually getting through.

The Zeitgeist? They had a recent magazine highlighting electronic artists like Skrillex. It doesn't get more Zeitgeisty than that. They have to profile current artists. Sure, they did Justin Bieber, but they did David Cassidy 40 years ago.

As a music magazine, I enjoy Mojo more, but that's not distributed widely in the U.S. I just laugh at the idea that Rolling Stone was once 'a proud rag'. They pretty much sold out as soon as they could and have remained an enjoyable mix of entertainment since. I subscribe. And I love people who keep calling anyone who doesn't agree with the GOP to be Leftists. I wouldn't know Marxism from Jack Shit. And most Democratic politicians are just Republican Light. No one really stands up for the average person's rights. There's just no money in that.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 22, 2012 21:50

Key Track: "Satisfaction" – if they quit the day after they cut this, they'd still be legends.

Or would they be known as the so called - A One Hit Wonder?

Date: August 22, 2012 22:23

2000 LYFH
Key Track: "Satisfaction" – if they quit the day after they cut this, they'd still be legends.

Probably not. They had a number of smaller hits (at least here in the states) before that. I'm not sure they would have been seen as much more than one of the top British Invasion Bands, like Gerry & the Pacemakers, etc. Although to be fair there were some Brit Invasion bands that had bigger hits and more of them before the Stones hit with Satisfaction. Dave Clark Five come to mind. It took quite some time before they really solidified their legend as being a stratospheric level band. Jumping Jack Flash helped, but maybe it took Honky Tonk Women to push them over the top.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 22, 2012 23:03

24FPS
2000 LYFH

Probably not. They had a number of smaller hits (at least here in the states) before that. I'm not sure they would have been seen as much more than one of the top British Invasion Bands, like Gerry & the Pacemakers, etc. Although to be fair there were some Brit Invasion bands that had bigger hits and more of them before the Stones hit with Satisfaction. Dave Clark Five come to mind. It took quite some time before they really solidified their legend as being a stratospheric level band. Jumping Jack Flash helped, but maybe it took Honky Tonk Women to push them over the top.

If they quit after Brian Jones quit/died, then they would be maybe one step below a Legend (quitting after Exile they would be a real Legend). But ending in 1965, I personally don't think you could call them a Legend. I believe in the UK they had "Not fade Away", "It's all Over Now", "The Last Time" and "Little Red Rooster" as hits before Satisfaction and here in the US, it was probably just Satisfaction.

But looking back from 2012, the average person would probably just remember Satisfaction as the monster hit it was. So depending on where you live in the world, the number of hits are different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home