Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The 60's - Good or Bad?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 17, 2012 22:37

imuho
During the 80s more fun was had by more people on planet Earth than at any other time in history.

Date: August 17, 2012 23:07

smoking smiley

Flower Power
PEACE

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: August 18, 2012 00:36

(opinions expressed not necessarily those of poster)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 18, 2012 00:37

Bliss
You missed some:

Pros -

Golden Age of European cinema, the likes of which has never been equaled.

The openness and friendliness among people including strangers.

The tolerance of diversity and emphasis on naturalness, as opposed to the current culture of physical conformity.

No obesity problem.

The enfranchisement of marginalised groups including gays, women, children, the handicapped.

The advent of reliable birth control and available terminations, giving women complete control of their fertility.

Cons -

Smoking everywhere.

You missed a big one bliss - No AIDS.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 18, 2012 00:58

Silver Dagger
Bliss
You missed some:

Pros -

Golden Age of European cinema, the likes of which has never been equaled.

The openness and friendliness among people including strangers.

The tolerance of diversity and emphasis on naturalness, as opposed to the current culture of physical conformity.

No obesity problem.

The enfranchisement of marginalised groups including gays, women, children, the handicapped.

The advent of reliable birth control and available terminations, giving women complete control of their fertility.

Cons -

Smoking everywhere.

You missed a big one bliss - No AIDS.

You bet. And even herpes was rare, so every STI - or venereal disease as it was called then - was basically curable.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 18, 2012 01:12

parislocksmith
(opinions expressed not necessarily those of poster)

at 7.35
Bit stupid to say "People like Mick Jagger who has nothing to say discuss important things on television" back then it was cool but if you see it back now it's cheap to say it's stupid

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 18, 2012 01:22

NICOS
if we get caught by the police the ball was confiscate ....so in most of the time we had to run if they saw us playing grinning smiley

Well, you were a real teenage rebel, were you not ?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 18, 2012 01:30

still ill
Well this happened

Before i was born and i wouldn't put too much money on it happening again in my lifetime.

What is it?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 18, 2012 01:35

This thread could get very political. Lots of pros civil rights and music being one of them. The drug culture certainly not a good thing and I don't want to hear the alcohol comparison. Look how many people that we all like on this board that drugs took away from us far too soon. Now MLK I can go along with JFK THE MOST OVERATED POLITICIAN IN US HISTORY BAR NONE!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 18, 2012 01:51

i never ate jfk even once...

Date: August 18, 2012 02:00

Edith Grove
NICOS
if we get caught by the police the ball was confiscate ....so in most of the time we had to run if they saw us playing grinning smiley

Well, you were a real teenage rebel, were you not ?

I always was a cute guy EG till they stole my ball...it's there own fault (I don't know how old I am but I think the picture is take around 1960)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2012 02:06

I used to be such a sweet.. sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me
.......................... Alice Cooper

ROCKMAN

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 18, 2012 11:32

I'd open doors for little old ladies, I helped the blind to see...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 18, 2012 19:54

slew
This thread could get very political. Lots of pros civil rights and music being one of them. The drug culture certainly not a good thing and I don't want to hear the alcohol comparison. Look how many people that we all like on this board that drugs took away from us far too soon. Now MLK I can go along with JFK THE MOST OVERATED POLITICIAN IN US HISTORY BAR NONE!

I'm not American (other countries existed in the 60s too), nor was I even born yet in the 60s. But even I know that MLK was not a politician. He was a civil rights activist. Your government has a lot of people killed so I understand the confusion though.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: August 18, 2012 20:16

STAR TREK!

One thing that was interesting to me about the 60's is that there were two distinct era's existing at once. Allow me to explain: In the US people in their 40's had lived through the Great Depression, two wars and about to face another. The "Greatest Generation" had their music (Sinatra, Martin, Lawrence Welk, Etc) and the younger generation had their own (Rock N Roll, Blues, Jazz, etc). At that point I doubt a Beatles or Stones fan would openly admit they listened to Frank Sinatra (even if their idols did) because that was what their parents listened to. Today, the youth will listen to their parents music (Stones, Who, Zeppelin, Floyd, etc) without shame. People in their 40's today have never had to live without or face rationing due to war. To me, these are the things that defined the 60's: two very different generations attempting to coexist. (BTW the same happaned in England. 60's British Youth were consumerists compared to their parents who had just learned to live without rationing and a German threat).

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: August 18, 2012 21:47

tatters
still ill
Well this happened

Before i was born and i wouldn't put too much money on it happening again in my lifetime.

What is it?

The 1966 World Cup

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 18, 2012 22:00

misterfrias
tatters
still ill
Well this happened

What is it?

The 1966 World Cup

seems the world was much smaller back then...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 18, 2012 22:06

jamesfdouglas - I will not deny that my government does some shady things but that same government has also kept this worl from totally imploding since World War II. I can't look at it from your point of view as I'm not sure where you are from. I have sat here with a silver spoon in my mouth for my entore life compared to most people in the world. The government certainly is not lily white but I stll love America and the dream that America holds for a lot of people around the world.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 19, 2012 00:56

Charlie was interviewed about this years ago and I think he was right,
people started having good conversations about all social matters about
then. Any taboo subjects; nothing off limits. It was done rather politely
keeping in tune with brittle sensibilities. So, The '60s was a leap forward,
if one believes this assessment, in open mindedness.

The flip side was that things were carried way too far. Another decade lost
to excess with little regard towards the future. I think the conservation
movement and the counter culture in their ways were a reaction to all that.

As always, each generation undergoes its ebb and flow with the issues of the day.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 19, 2012 02:09

good thing about the sixties? the sexy dresses women wore!

Date: August 19, 2012 02:30

does "Rockman" even REMEMBER the 60's??????????????

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: August 19, 2012 02:33

Well, if nothing else, the 60's sure got folks to talking.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: August 19, 2012 02:45

slew
jamesfdouglas - I will not deny that my government does some shady things but that same government has also kept this worl from totally imploding since World War II. I can't look at it from your point of view as I'm not sure where you are from. I have sat here with a silver spoon in my mouth for my entore life compared to most people in the world. The government certainly is not lily white but I stll love America and the dream that America holds for a lot of people around the world.

thumbs up

Slew,

Don't know you
Don't have a clue
But I think I love you....smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2012 02:53

Oops ......I thinks we have date on IORR grinning smiley

Date: August 19, 2012 03:05

Thank Goodness I am no where near being in my 60s... but now that it has been brought up, I wonder... When I get older losing my hair, Many years from now, Will she still be sending me a valentine, Birthday greetings, how about a bottle of wine?... I also wonder... If I stay out till quarter to three Will she lock the door?... but mostly I wonder... Will she still need me, will she still feed me... When I'm sixty-four?

Date: August 19, 2012 03:16

Max'sKansasCity
Thank Goodness I am no where near being in my 60s... but now that it has been brought up, I wonder... When I get older losing my hair, Many years from now, Will she still be sending me a valentine, Birthday greetings, how about a bottle of wine?... I also wonder... If I stay out till quarter to three Will she lock the door?... but mostly I wonder... Will she still need me, will she still feed me... When I'm sixty-four?

What a drag it is getting old.......

Date: August 19, 2012 03:38

Edith Grove
Max'sKansasCity

What a drag it is getting old.......
Just thinking about it makes one want to go running for the shelter... get some kind of helper

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: August 19, 2012 14:32

Re "What a drag it is getting old..."

We all get older, if we're lucky; the only variable is when we are born. And now that the 60's are but a distant memory, I can say with confidence how glad I was to have caught the tail end of them as a teenager. The 60s were surely the high point of the century, in terms of expansion, optimism, creativity and fun. It's no coincidence that people still listen to 60s music - if anything better had come along, they would be listening to that instead. When I left home, I certainly wasn't clutching an armful of my parents' Frank Sinatra albums.

Yes, there are some benefits to the modern age; why wouldn't there be? Communicating instantaneously with Stones fans from all corners of the world, for one. Advances in medicine, dentistry, reproductive assistance, firm entrenchment of rights for formerly disadvantaged groups, many aspects of technology. But these are not fun times - global warming, economy collapse, burgeoning population, food and water shortages, AIDS, religious fundamentalism, terrorism, cyber-bullying blighting young people's lives, increased poverty, and all the attendant anxiety of living in this kind of world.

Date: August 19, 2012 14:58

Well said, Bliss.

BTW, I'm not far behind you in the age department.

Date: August 19, 2012 16:13

"This sure beats fixing leaky toilets or digging a hole"

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-19 16:43 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home