Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Young and Crazy at Red Rocks Last Night
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 9, 2012 04:59

Excited to see Neil in October, every time I see him he manages to do his show different and its always impressive.

Any idea when his other new album is coming out. Amazes me how Neil and Dylan continue to put out new music and progress musically.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 9, 2012 14:25

jabhead
I was happy to attend both shows at Red Rocks. My ears are still ringing! It is just like Neil to play basically nothing from his new record and half the show is new material that has not been released yet.

Walk like a Giant is epic. After the second night, I think I get the ending. Giant footsteps destroyng all i it's wake. It was quite a racket. Ramada Inn was awesome as well. It is going to be a good record I think.

@#$%& up was a hoot. All smiles all around.

I would have liked a bit more variation in the set lists but, Neil and the Horse at Red Rocks...whats not to like? A scared band on scared grounds.

uhhhh...sacred?

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: August 9, 2012 15:00

CSN played here last night at a little outdoor theatre called The Pinewood Bowl. Beautiful!

[journalstar.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 11, 2012 20:21

fwiw

Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco Day 1: Foo Fighters, Neil Young, Beck and more [music-mix.ew.com]

The Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival is unlike any other festival in America, and that’s partially because it reflects its location: San Francisco.

The event, held in Golden Gate Park, is fully greened-up, and the city’s foodie culture is represented in the 65 on-site restaurants, 49 wineries, and 19 breweries. This year, there was even fog.

But for all of that, what Outside Lands is mostly about is the music – more than 60 bands over the course of 3 days — and on Day 1, the music was all about Neil Young.

You could hear Neil’s influence in Two Gallants, a powerful two piece who played early on Friday (and even though there’s no Neil in L.A.’s Fitz and the Tantrums, it was hard not to think the latter were booked to provide angst-free modern-soul diversity). Beck covered “After The Gold Rush” mid-way through a typically brilliant set, and Dave Grohl started talking about Neil three songs into the Foos show. “We’ve got a lot of songs to play, and the quicker we play them, the faster I get to see Neil fu*king Young,” he said. The crowd cheered, which was slightly surprising – for a lot of people at the festival, Grohl & Co. were the big ticket, and an abbreviated set wasn’t what they were looking for.

Everyone loves the Foos — it’s hard not to. Taylor Hawkins is a ferocious drummer who never stops smiling, and guitarist Pat Smear is always ecstatic. Dave Grohl’s a guitar superhero; on Friday night, he even did an Angus Young chop step the full length of the stage. It may sound wrong to call a band that rocks as hard as they do charming, but they are — when the band closed their show with “Everlong,” which Dave dedicated to Neil, the crowd went berserk.

Not surprisingly, the crowd went berserk again when Crazy Horse hit the stage. They’ve been playing together off and on for 43 years, and they’ve probably played every possible permutation of every note of every song, yet somehow they’re still able wring out sounds both unexpected and new. There’s an almost umbilical connection between Neil, guitarist Frank “Poncho” Sampedro, bassist Billy Talbot, and drummer Ralph Molina, and it’s never more apparent than when they’re on stage.

Outside Lands saw them run the full gamut of Young’s catalog – Neil did an acoustic version of “Needle and the Damage Done,” and the band powered through a 13 minute take on “Love and Only Love.” But it almost didn’t matter what songs they played; as extraordinary as they may be, what makes Crazy Horse exceptional is the subtext, and the subtext is pure heart.

Neil Young may not be a better guitarist now than he was 30 years ago, but he’s a deeper guitarist, and playing with Crazy Horse seemed to give him the room he needs to go all the way to his core. One of the newer songs – possibly called “Giant” – ended with at least four minutes of the same note played over and over again, and it never let up. Neil and Poncho — playing in the pocket of Ralph and Billy — somehow made playing one note for four minutes feel exquisite.

On to Night 2, and Metallica, who can play a million notes in four minutes and be equally exquisite… Although it’s unlikely that earlier-in-the-day performers like Norah Jones or Sigur Ros will be name-checking James Hetfield.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 11, 2012 21:43

Same comment as ST, jabhead--

I couldn't resist adding that I can see how the band might be scared after not performing so long,
but I have rarely if ever seen scared ground...scorched earth, maybe. (No offense, I've had worse
mistakes.) cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 11, 2012 22:10

Sounds good, but we've heard this sound many times before,
which is why I was pining for more Springfield activity.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 11, 2012 23:59

Just checked the new songs (Ontario, Walk Like A Giant, Twisted Road, For The Love Of Man, Every Morning Comes The Sun & Party Girl) and frankly they fail to raise any enthusiasm in me.

It's generic NY songwriting deprived of anything special.
Only "Walk Like A Giant" and its whistled vocal part has that little sth...

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: August 12, 2012 00:35

Same here, these songs are mediocre musically and fairly terrible lyrically, and i love Neil

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: August 12, 2012 00:37

angee
Same comment as ST, jabhead--

I couldn't resist adding that I can see how the band might be scared after not performing so long,
but I have rarely if ever seen scared ground...scorched earth, maybe. (No offense, I've had worse
mistakes.) cool smiley

ooops...sorry... don't check back all that often

Neil might have scared a few people anyway, and Red Rocks is sacred.

I don't think the Stones have ever played there? The Beatles have though.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: August 12, 2012 00:39

dcba
Just checked the new songs (Ontario, Walk Like A Giant, Twisted Road, For The Love Of Man, Every Morning Comes The Sun & Party Girl) and frankly they fail to raise any enthusiasm in me.

It's generic NY songwriting deprived of anything special.
Only "Walk Like A Giant" and its whistled vocal part has that little sth...

It's all one song

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 13, 2012 04:52

Was at the Tahoe show thursday night. Big fun. Setlist doesn't matter, all the songs were just an excuse to jam. Except for Needle and the Damage Done.. A lovely solo acoustic moment from Neil,around all of the jamming. I loved it. Not for everybody of course. But for those complaining about the same old thing. Just what artist that has been around for 40 + plus years is playing and writing incredibly new,fascinating,interesting music. At least Neil isn't going out there charging $300 for a greatest hits set.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: August 13, 2012 05:04

StonesTod
jabhead
I was happy to attend both shows at Red Rocks. My ears are still ringing! It is just like Neil to play basically nothing from his new record and half the show is new material that has not been released yet.

Walk like a Giant is epic. After the second night, I think I get the ending. Giant footsteps destroyng all i it's wake. It was quite a racket. Ramada Inn was awesome as well. It is going to be a good record I think.

@#$%& up was a hoot. All smiles all around.

I would have liked a bit more variation in the set lists but, Neil and the Horse at Red Rocks...whats not to like? A scared band on scared grounds.

uhhhh...sacred?

Red Rocks IS a fantastic venue! Had many a great time there.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 13, 2012 05:09

My first and yet only time seeing him with Crazy Horse in Buffalo on Nov.10,1996.

Setlist:

Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
Pocahontas
Slip Away
Stupid Girl
Big Time
The Needle And The Damage Done
Out of My Mind
(Buffalo Springfield song)
Heart of Gold
Scattered
Cinnamon Girl
The Loner
Cortez the Killer
Music Arcade
Rockin' in the Free World
Like a Hurricane

Encore:
This Town
Sedan Delivery
Roll Another Number

The night before on Nov. 9th, I saw the Who perform Quadrophenia in the same arena in Buffalo. What a weekend!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home