Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Young and Crazy at Red Rocks Last Night
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 7, 2012 01:22

Re: OT: Young and Crazy at Red Rocks Last Night
Date: August 7, 2012 01:23

CRAZY HORSE IS ON THE LOOSE

8/6/2012

Neil Young and Crazy Horse were set to start their first tour in more than eight years last night (Sunday) at Red Rocks in Morrison, Colorado, just outside Denver, but they added a warm-up show in Albuquerque on Friday, and, in typical Neil fashion, it was more than just a warm-up show.

Instead of concentrating on his new album of covers with Crazy Horse, Americana, he debuted five new songs that will reportedly be on another album with Crazy Horse, rumored for release later this year. They were “Born in Ontario,” “Walk Like a Giant," “Twisted Road,” “Ramada Inn” and “Psychedelic Pill.” He also did “I Wonder Why,” a studio outtake from 1981, and “Jesus Chariot (She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain),” the lone song off of Americana. There were a few familiar tunes as well over the two-hour set, such as the show opening 13-minute version of 1990's "Love and Only Love" along with “Powderfinger,” “The Needle and the Damage Done,” “Cinnamon Girl,” “Mr. Soul” and “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black).” Neil does a second night at Red Rocks tonight (Monday), then it’s onto Lake Tahoe, Nevada on Thursday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 01:25 by tatters.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 7, 2012 01:25

that's cool....didn't really think much of the new album...maybe neil, upon further review, didn't either....

Date: August 7, 2012 01:33

In other news ....

CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG: Will They Carry On?

6/28/2012

Graham Nash is optimistic that Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young will work together again. But that wasn't the case just recently as he tells us his relationship with Neil Young has been "thorny." Only saying that Neil did not like something Nash said, he has since received three "positive" and "friendly" emails from Young. "It was kind of shocking to me because I frankly thought that CSNY would never play again. But I'm not feeling that way now." Nash is working on a CSNY live album from 1974 that they hope to release early next year. He's also hoping they decide to promote it with a tour.
--Sal Cirrincione

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 01:34 by tatters.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2012 01:38

Americana.... the first minute of Oh susannah was good

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2012 01:41

They sound good to me.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 7, 2012 01:50

tatters

Fking awesome... and that is how it is done... stop talking, start playing.
No fkg books, no fkg documentaries, no fkg band politics, no fkg lawsuits....

Neil Young is the greatest.

Date: August 7, 2012 02:00

Oh btw- Thnak you for posting this tatters,

I remember reading/hearing that Neil would be playing Red Rocks later this year some time... and holy crap... it was last night?? aleady???... where does time go? December 21st is just around the corner.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 7, 2012 02:36

I'm going to the Tahoe show Thursday. Looking forward to it. Americana wasn't bad. Espicially since you got a free copy with every ticket purchased for the tour.But only Neil would promote a new album by not playing it and playing stuff from an upcoming unreleased album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 06:31 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: August 7, 2012 02:38

sweetcharmedlife
I'm going to the Tahoe show Thursday. Looking forward to it. Americana wasn't bad. Espicially since you got a free copy with every ticket purchased for the tour.But only Neil woudl promote a new album by not palying and palying stuff from an upcoming unreleased album.

palying?

where do you think neil learned this little idea. hello, bob!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2012 03:19

Thanks your the post, Tatters. I've got tickets to see Neil and Crazy Horse at the end of November, Patti Smith and Everest are the opening acts. I can't wait!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 7, 2012 03:28

I think it's great to see an artist like him continue to take risks...and think enough of his audience to take those risks.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 7, 2012 03:49

tatters

8/6/2012

Neil Young and Crazy Horse were set to start their first tour in more than eight years last night (Sunday) at Red Rocks in Morrison, Colorado, just outside Denver, but they added a warm-up show in Albuquerque on Friday, and, in typical Neil fashion, it was more than just a warm-up show.

Instead of concentrating on his new album of covers with Crazy Horse, Americana, he debuted five new songs that will reportedly be on another album with Crazy Horse, rumored for release later this year. They were “Born in Ontario,” “Walk Like a Giant," “Twisted Road,” “Ramada Inn” and “Psychedelic Pill.” He also did “I Wonder Why,” a studio outtake from 1981, and “Jesus Chariot (She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain),” the lone song off of Americana. There were a few familiar tunes as well over the two-hour set, such as the show opening 13-minute version of 1990's "Love and Only Love" along with “Powderfinger,” “The Needle and the Damage Done,” “Cinnamon Girl,” “Mr. Soul” and “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black).” Neil does a second night at Red Rocks tonight (Monday), then it’s onto Lake Tahoe, Nevada on Thursday.

More than 8 years, huh? If IORRians were all members of a Harvest Moon forum (...or something), then from years 5 through 8 we'd have been calling them Neil Old and Lazy Horse...or something.

Date: August 7, 2012 04:07

WANT TO BUY A BOAT FROM DAVID CROSBY?

8/6/2012

David Crosby has yet to find a buyer for his 59-foot Alden centerboard schooner, the Mayan, four years after putting a For Sale sign on it. He has owned it the 65-year-old vessel for more than 40 years and completely renovated it in 2005 for $600,000. Crosby tells us, "I can't really afford it. I love it. I don't want to sell it, but I've got to take care of my family."

The Mayan has three staterooms that sleep eight and a large saloon. Crosby has sailed it all over the world and written many songs on it, including "Wooden Ships." The original asking price was $1 million, but it has since been dropped to $750,000. It is moored in Santa Barbara, California, near where Crosby lives, and he just sailed it last month while CSN had a break in their tour schedule.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-07 04:09 by tatters.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 7, 2012 04:09

stonesnow
tatters

8/6/2012

More than 8 years, huh? If IORRians were all members of a Harvest Moon forum (...or something), then from years 5 through 8 we'd have been calling them Neil Old and Lazy Horse...or something.

Although Neil hasn't performed with Crazy Horse since 2004, he's toured virtually every year since then with various other longtime cohorts (including Crosby, Stills and Nash)...plus he's released about six studio albums during that time. Probaby not many complaints in Neil Young Land.

Date: August 7, 2012 04:56

tatters

8/6/2012

David Crosby has yet to find a buyer for his 59-foot Alden centerboard schooner, the Mayan, four years after putting a For Sale sign on it. He has owned it the 65-year-old vessel for more than 40 years and completely renovated it in 2005 for $600,000. Crosby tells us, "I can't really afford it. I love it. I don't want to sell it, but I've got to take care of my family."

The Mayan has three staterooms that sleep eight and a large saloon. Crosby has sailed it all over the world and written many songs on it, including "Wooden Ships." The original asking price was $1 million, but it has since been dropped to $750,000. It is moored in Santa Barbara, California, near where Crosby lives, and he just sailed it last month while CSN had a break in their tour schedule.

If only Mr. Crosby could have sold more songs in recent years, then he wouldn't have to sell his boat. CSN made only 3 albums between 1969 and 1982 and even during those years when he wasn't working--coke binges and all--he never had to sell his boat. Get some writing done, David!

Date: August 7, 2012 04:58

Jah Paul
stonesnow
tatters

8/6/2012

Although Neil hasn't performed with Crazy Horse since 2004, he's toured virtually every year since then with various other longtime cohorts (including Crosby, Stills and Nash)...plus he's released about six studio albums during that time. Probaby not many complaints in Neil Young Land.

OK, what about Lazy Horse? What have they been up to? Prolly sittin' around the ranch watching the sun set...or something.

Date: August 7, 2012 05:09

stonesnow
tatters

8/6/2012

If only Mr. Crosby could have sold more songs in recent years, then he wouldn't have to sell his boat. CSN made only 3 albums between 1969 and 1982 and even during those years when he wasn't working--coke binges and all--he never had to sell his boat. Get some writing done, David!

Nobody pays for recorded music anymore so songwriting doesn't pay the bills. Touring does, and CSN do tour extensively. The Cros' was never an especially prolific writer anyway. He's always been more about quality than quantity.

Date: August 7, 2012 05:18

stonesnow
Jah Paul
stonesnow
tatters

8/6/2012

OK, what about Lazy Horse? What have they been up to? Prolly sittin' around the ranch watching the sun set...or something.

Though not many people are aware of it, they did have a career without Neil Young. Released five albums without him, in fact. But they lost their driving creative force when Danny died in '72, so it's no surprise they've spent the last 40 years just sitting around, waiting for the phone to ring.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 05:28 by tatters.

Date: August 7, 2012 05:28

tatters
stonesnow
tatters

8/6/2012

Nobody pays for recorded music anymore so songwriting doesn't pay the bills. Touring does, and CSN do tour extensively. The Cros' was never an especially prolific writer anyway. He's always been more about quality than quantity.

Actually, every time a song is played on classic rock radio--or in a supermarket--the writer of the song collects a royalty. ASCAP is still in existence, so artists are still being compensated for their work. SoundExchange is one of the newer organizations to cover Webcasts and digital performances, in accord with the Digital Performance Right in Sound Recordings Act of 1995. It may seem like a free-for-all, but just as BMI and ASCAP were formed 100 years ago to protect the copyrights of songwriters, so shall copyright protections gradually adapt to the challenges faced in this century with newer media forms:

entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties7.htm

Date: August 7, 2012 05:36

stonesnow
tatters
stonesnow
tatters

8/6/2012

Actually, every time a song is played on classic rock radio--or in a supermarket--the writer of the song collects a royalty. ASCAP is still in existence, so artists are still being compensated for their work. SoundExchange is one of the newer organizations to cover Webcasts and digital performances, in accord with the Digital Performance Right in Sound Recordings Act of 1995. It may seem like a free-for-all, but just as BMI and ASCAP were formed 100 years ago to protect the copyrights of songwriters, so shall copyright protections gradually adapt to the challenges faced in this century with newer media forms:

NEW music by "classic rock" artists does NOT get played on classic rock radio, or any other kind of radio.

Date: August 7, 2012 06:42

tatters
stonesnow
tatters
stonesnow
tatters

8/6/2012

NEW music by "classic rock" artists does NOT get played on classic rock radio, or any other kind of radio.

It doesn't have to. They could give songs away to other artists the way Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards did back in the 60s. Melissa Etheridge, for one, accepted sperm from David Crosby--surely she could record a few of his songs, so he can keep his boat...

Date: August 7, 2012 16:15

Max'sKansasCity
tatters

I pledge allegiance to all of the above! Well stated. Tix in hand to see Neil in October!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 8, 2012 00:37

From Dime :

01 - Love And Only Love (14.59)
02 - Powderfinger (5:36)
03 - Born In Ontario (4:21)
04 - Walk Like A Giant (24:46)
05 - The Needle And The Damage Done (2:50)
06 - Twisted Road (3:36)
07 - For The Love Of Man (5:05)
08 - Ramada Inn (16.15)
09 - Cinnamon Girl (5:16)
10 - @#$%& Up (13:39)
11 - Mr. Soul (4:52)
12 - Psychedelic Pill (5:21)
13 - Hey Hey My My (Into The Black) (7:44)
Encore
14 - Over And Over (15:19)

Total Time 2Hrs, 10 mins

I count five pièces de résistance here... for just a tour opener!
Torrents here I come! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 01:34 by dcba.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 8, 2012 01:03

Date: August 8, 2012 01:23

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
Max'sKansasCity

I pledge allegiance to all of the above! Well stated. Tix in hand to see Neil in October!

Right on Man,
Looks like this is going to be a fun tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 01:24 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 8, 2012 20:31

Aug. 6 :

01 - Love And Only Love (11.14)
02 - Powderfinger (5:55)
03 - Ontario (4:25)
04 - Walk Like A Giant (24:44)
05 - The Needle And The Damage Done (2:50)
06 - Twisted Road (3:43)
07 - For The Love Of Man (5:03)
08 - Ramada Inn (18.04)
09 - Cinnamon Girl (5:32)
10 - @#$%& Up (10:17)
11 - Psychedelic Pill (3:47)
12 - Mr. Soul (6:18)
13 - Hey Hey My My (Into The Black) (10:27)

Encore
14 - Jesus Chariot (10:24)
15 - Roll Another Number (4:55)

Total Time 2Hrs, 08 mins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 20:32 by dcba.

Date: August 8, 2012 20:35

walk like a giant might his best track since ragged glory...every once in awhile still neil digs deep and pulls out a gem...

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 8, 2012 20:45

It's nice to see Neil stay in touch with his Canadian roots.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: August 9, 2012 03:36

I was happy to attend both shows at Red Rocks. My ears are still ringing! It is just like Neil to play basically nothing from his new record and half the show is new material that has not been released yet.

Walk like a Giant is epic. After the second night, I think I get the ending. Giant footsteps destroyng all i it's wake. It was quite a racket. Ramada Inn was awesome as well. It is going to be a good record I think.

@#$%& up was a hoot. All smiles all around.

I would have liked a bit more variation in the set lists but, Neil and the Horse at Red Rocks...whats not to like? A scared band on scared grounds.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home