Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Is This The Longest-Ever Commercially Released Single?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 5, 2012 02:42

Gazza
Not even close. Especially in the era of remixes and dub versions of singles.

'Blue Room' by The Orb (released in 1992) clocked in at three seconds short of 40 minutes.

It reached No. 8 in the UK charts.

The ruling by Gallup (who compile the charts) was that anything over 40 minutes couldn't be classed as a single. So The Orb put this one out and made sure it was JUST under the limit.

I guess when I said "longest single" I was thinking more in terms of a 45 rpm record, and the maximum amount of music you could put on a 45 and still have a playable, audible record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-05 02:43 by tatters.

Date: August 5, 2012 02:54

Gazza
tatters
8 minutes and 53 seconds. I hear there's a Springsteen B-side that's even longer. Exactly how much music can you fit on a 45?

Presumably you mean the live version of "Incident on 57th Street" which was on the 'War' single in 1986. However, it was only on the 12' version if I recall correctly.

'Merry Christmas Baby' was the b-side of the 7 and 12 inch versions.

Yeah, this must be the thing I was reading about. It's got a live version of "Incident" that's over 10 minutes long, but if it's a 12-inch, it don't count. We're looking for the longest track ever released on a 7-inch 45 rpm record.

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-05 02:56 by tatters.

Date: August 5, 2012 03:48

This is an 8 rpm record. That's not a typo. And you thought you'd seen everything, right?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home