Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The torch style balladry
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: February 28, 2022 01:08

It became hugely unpopular by the record buying public at the end of the 60s. However, it hanged on in there for many years at the Eurovision song contest. I often shrugged my head at how uncool it sounded. Not until Abba won in 1974 was there sign of a change.

Dusty Springfield became a brutal victim to this change in people`s taste. I think her last blast of popularity was the 1968 single “I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten”, before she started recording in the US. After that, there came both albums and singles that more or less flopped; 1969`s “Dusty in Memphis”, 1970`s “A brand new me”/”From Dusty with Love” and 1972s`s “See All Her Faces”. An album called “Faithful” was recorded in 1971, only to be shelved. However, it was finally released in 2015 at a limited number of copies. If you want to buy it on vinyl now, you`ll have to pay 199 US dollars as a collector’s item at Amazon. Her single “How Can I Be Sure” flopped in 1970, only to be released to big acclaim by David Cassidy in 1972.

By the way, I thought the year 1970 would provide some quality guarantee, but no. I`m thinking of the song “Sweet Inspiration”, which was recorded by both Dusty and Cilla Black. The bland 70s had set in, you might think, but that early? Among Dusty fans it`s considered subpar. It sounds European Song Contest all the way.

At her peak she sang what you`d call power-pop. Gradually it became more and more MOR, or “supper club”, if not to say Eurovision style.
This music today are for connoisseurs only, I think. Anyway, this is the music I put on when having a drink. I like it. The Norwegian state radio channel was full of this kind of music during the 60s and 70s at noon hours. If you need some clue for what I`m talking about, listen to this:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-28 01:18 by noughties.

Re: OT: The torch style balladry
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2022 01:49

I think Dusty and torch songs are both still loved (by me anyway). "Son Of A Preacher Man" was a great southern-soul styled hit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home