Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wyman says no thanks?
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 30, 2012 02:57

21stcenturystones
again, I say. What tour?

MJ can't even say the word tour, can't get past the t without cracking up--no, the term for the 2010s is gigs, perhaps there will be some gigs later in the year. Tickets will be limited, as will the gigs.

Date: July 30, 2012 04:56

stonesnow
21stcenturystones
again, I say. What tour?

MJ can't even say the word tour, can't get past the t without cracking up--no, the term for the 2010s is gigs, perhaps there will be some gigs later in the year. Tickets will be limited, as will the gigs.

Well good. That makes the done deal a bust then. Forever.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 30, 2012 05:35

Bill's been a frequent flyer - for decades - due to necessity.

His intuition, however seemingly odd, is telling him that he ought not do it anymore.

That being the case, in a way, it makes sense to me that he should follow that intuition.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 30, 2012 06:11

I hope Bill does something substantive with the Stones (more than his 2011 contribution to the Ian Stewart tribute song WATCHING THE RIVER FLOW). But I, too, would be annoyed if Mick and Keith for years had arrogated my contributions.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: July 30, 2012 06:36

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a publicity stunt for the time being,

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2012 06:59

latebloomer
treaclefingers
Wyman's being practical...an air tragedy at this point could take month's off his life.

Oooh treacle that was a good one, I almost lost my coffee.thumbs up

I refuse to be held responsible for any incidents that may ultimately involve a drycleaning charge.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2012 15:30

SweetThing

His intuition, however seemingly odd, is telling him that he ought not do it anymore.

That being the case, in a way, it makes sense to me that he should follow that intuition.

I think he more or less said that after being in the RAF and then touring for years with the Stones, the odds on something eventually going wrong were narrowing. He developed a fear of flying in 1990 and when the band toured Europe that summer he was pretty much driven everywhere - which back then in the Cold War era wasnt quite as big an ordeal as Prague would have been about as far east as the tour would have gone.

Since then, I think the only time he has been on a plane was when he had to fly to New York in 2001 to do some promotional work - and that was because he was contracted to do so. Its quite evident that he has had no interest for decades now in doing any tours in places where he cant commute by land and/or sea.

I think a lot of people really do overlook the other major issue in this which is the fact that he's content with what he has. It takes a lot of self discipline to walk away from being a Rolling Stone. He had made his money, he was more or less at the age that Ronnie Wood is now when he quit, he wanted to rebuild his life with a new wife and family after a brief and very embarrassing failed marriage, he's been able to make a new career for himself playing music he enjoys and he's shown little interest since then in the Stones' music.

I admire the guy for being honest with himself (and his bandmates) and having the willpower to do what he wants with his life instead of taking the easy route and just keeping doing it for the money and the glory. He was able to move on and realise there is a world beyond the Rolling Stones. That's not a bad thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-30 15:31 by Gazza.

Date: July 30, 2012 16:59

Bill does not want to fly anymore. The Rhythm Kings travel by coach only. Do not expect Bill to change his mind about flying.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2012 17:34

Gazza
SweetThing

I think he more or less said that after being in the RAF and then touring for years with the Stones, the odds on something eventually going wrong were narrowing. He developed a fear of flying in 1990 and when the band toured Europe that summer he was pretty much driven everywhere - which back then in the Cold War era wasnt quite as big an ordeal as Prague would have been about as far east as the tour would have gone.

Since then, I think the only time he has been on a plane was when he had to fly to New York in 2001 to do some promotional work - and that was because he was contracted to do so. Its quite evident that he has had no interest for decades now in doing any tours in places where he cant commute by land and/or sea.

I think a lot of people really do overlook the other major issue in this which is the fact that he's content with what he has. It takes a lot of self discipline to walk away from being a Rolling Stone. He had made his money, he was more or less at the age that Ronnie Wood is now when he quit, he wanted to rebuild his life with a new wife and family after a brief and very embarrassing failed marriage, he's been able to make a new career for himself playing music he enjoys and he's shown little interest since then in the Stones' music.

I admire the guy for being honest with himself (and his bandmates) and having the willpower to do what he wants with his life instead of taking the easy route and just keeping doing it for the money and the glory. He was able to move on and realise there is a world beyond the Rolling Stones. That's not a bad thing.

oh, please.

everyone knows the real reason he quit the band is cos they refuse to play in another land on stage. fear of flying, my arse....

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 30, 2012 19:07

StonesTod
Gazza
SweetThing

oh, please.

everyone knows the real reason he quit the band is cos they refuse to play in another land on stage. fear of flying, my arse....
but sometimes it takes a plane to get to another land...see how it comes full circle?

Date: July 30, 2012 19:34

GumbootCloggeroo
StonesTod
Gazza
SweetThing

oh, please.

but sometimes it takes a plane to get to another land...see how it comes full circle?

and this is the kinda thing that makes this band so special

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: July 30, 2012 20:22

Just a thought - Maybe the only solution is if Bill won't come to us then we will have to go to him. How about the Stones do 100 concerts (2 a week) at the Royal Albert Hall in London starting in 2013. People can fly in and treat it like a vacation/holiday and top it off with a Stones show (or 2). Bill can walk their from his London home (may want to take a taxi home) and Charlie could also do the gig and get home like he always said he would like to do.

Hell sounds good to me!

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: July 30, 2012 20:55

We've known about him not wanting to fly for years so that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. As to why he played with them last December in rehearsal, for all we know it was just to get footage for the upcoming documentary. If he plays with the band live again, it will most likely be for a one-off big gig. It won't be for a series of shows. The Stones probably won't even play that many shows to begin with.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 30, 2012 21:12

We all seem to forget that these guys are Effin' OLD! I am 51 and I travel for business every week and it is draining. It sucks. I know they will/may travel in their own planes, have people look after their stuff..etc but still.........they are old!!

And they ain't BB KING!

Date: July 30, 2012 21:46

Nimrod
We've known about him not wanting to fly for years so that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. As to why he played with them last December in rehearsal, for all we know it was just to get footage for the upcoming documentary. If he plays with the band live again, it will most likely be for a one-off big gig. It won't be for a series of shows. The Stones probably won't even play that many shows to begin with.

The December 2011 rehearsal wasnt filmed. The May 2012 was, however.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 30, 2012 22:24

StonesTod
Gazza
SweetThing

oh, please.

..i'd rather hear that than 'miss you' or "you got me rockin' again....yecch

Date: July 30, 2012 23:36

rogue
They closed my thread.

first of all, nobody owns these threads

secondly - it's a badge of honor and a rite of passage...or something...to have a thread closed.

thirdly - wait...there's no thirdly...

Date: July 30, 2012 23:38

rogue
They closed my thread.

I got blisters on my fingers.

Posted by: rogue ()
Date: July 30, 2012 23:42

Well, I hope you find some comfort in a little basement room on Kentucky Derby Day.

Date: July 31, 2012 00:15

rogue
They closed my thread.

They closed your post as well...looks like they're closing in.

Date: July 31, 2012 00:26

rogue
Well, I hope you find some comfort in a little basement room on Kentucky Derby Day.

Sorry, I thought we were free associating.

Date: July 31, 2012 00:38

But are you certain he said "No thanks?" Perhaps he was more gentlemanly in his syntax and said, "Thank you, no." He does live in a medieval castle, you know.

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: July 31, 2012 00:46

Lets be honest for most fans Bill is The Stones Bass player allways will be.
I would pay double to hear a show with Bill on Bass rather Than Mr D Jones.
It takes less than a week to go to New York by liner so he does not need to fly So a few shows in USA & a few shows in Europe dont seem to much to ask.
After all its the music that counts and Bill & Charlie make the best sound.
Maybee a new album would be nice but shows are a must.come on Bill lets do it one more time.

Date: July 31, 2012 05:59

Gazza
Nimrod

Wait, what? I thought they were not rehearsals, which would imply getting ready for something.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:02

I am pretty sure Bill might guest in UK. No need to fly there. Remember they talk about gigs not a tour. Also, good article, and their bass player Darryl Jones is called " session musicians"...

Also, remember Bill will be 76 years old this year. He is used to a different life now, I don't think he will be on a lot of gigs, but on stage or in studio if it fits in.

Bjornulf

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:42

I doubt Bill will be on many gigs either. Perhaps guesting in London or something but I expect Darryl will be the regular bass player.

Date: July 31, 2012 14:08

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Gazza
Nimrod

Wait, what? I thought they were not rehearsals, which would imply getting ready for something.

they were rehearsing for Christmas

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: July 31, 2012 16:12

as Mick says: you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need.
After all little miracles may happen, but I can't see them by reading the tealeaves.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home