Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Let's Discuss Our First Bootleg Experiences
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 28, 2012 11:00

1973, Welcome to new york! What a find! I agree, after that it must be Beautiful Delilah, Bedspring Symphony, Nasty Music, The Black Box. Charlie Watts & His Rolling Stones on speckled vinyl. Trade Mark Of Quality. Those were certainly the best times.who cared about the money.... You found it.....

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 28, 2012 13:29

It was 1982 or 83 when i got my first one which it was very expensive: SAD SONGS IS ALL I KNOW, from the TOTA tour. The sound was terrible, but i enjoyed a lot just with WILD HORSES AND ANGIE

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2012 13:37

midimannz
1973, Welcome to new york! What a find! I agree, after that it must be Beautiful Delilah, Bedspring Symphony, Nasty Music, The Black Box. Charlie Watts & His Rolling Stones on speckled vinyl. Trade Mark Of Quality. Those were certainly the best times.who cared about the money.... You found it.....

Welcome To New York is the ultimate Stones bootleg IMHO. thumbs up

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 28, 2012 13:39

There was a time in which Swinging Pig Records released a lot of nice stuff..................... with very nice covers and painted vinyl discs

Posted by: kait ()
Date: July 28, 2012 14:39

KeithNacho
There was a time in which Swinging Pig Records released a lot of nice stuff..................... with very nice covers and painted vinyl discs

those were the days!
early nineties,
i bought almost all of them
on vinyl & cd

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 28, 2012 14:44

mid seventies , up in the loft of my friends house , playing guitar and rehearsing songs having worn out ya ya s love in vain ,he pulled out his older brothers bootlegs . . .
the double album of the earthquake concert , welcome to new york , liver , cops and robbers . . a whole new world opened up for us !

more to get of course so we head to the waterlooplein market in amsterdam , wow a stack of bootlegs there until it became ( more ) illegal and they shut down the stalls. ( also the stencilled lyrics books , remember them ?)

i read carrs book and at the bottom of a page it mentions boots from 73 and being to young to have attended the shows ( den haag 76 was my first ) and wanting to heat the new songs with mick taylor , i made a list .

we went to concerto in the utrechtse straat where the man took me in the basement and let me pick out one of the last ones available , the jean clarcke mammorial sonic barbeque .
fantastic times indeed !

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 28, 2012 16:31

KeithNacho

I used to order bootlegs directly from swingin pig,sometimes they were slows,,,mostly of the reasonsm´,because everything was allways sold out or not
printed out.They were very very cheap,i bought Handsome girls set for about 40 deutsch marks.Then i got better ordering bootlegs,and started to order them directly from Japan.They were very long phone calls,and faxes!
I send money in a registered letter,nothing ever got lost.And that was mid 1990ies,japanese post office was faster than finish one.I got cd´s there within a week!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 28, 2012 17:12

don't remember what came first...once the habit started in the mid70s, it got out of control quickly. might have been welcome to ny, live'r, who went to church, the black box or dozens of other titles. out on bail was a fave for a time...i see that's been reposted on hungercity recently. vinyl boots...right up there with leather ones...

Date: July 28, 2012 17:33

KeithNacho
It was 1982 or 83 when i got my first one which it was very expensive: SAD SONGS IS ALL I KNOW, from the TOTA tour. The sound was terrible, but i enjoyed a lot just with WILD HORSES AND ANGIE

Tour Of The Americas Tour? HA HA! Excellent.

Date: July 28, 2012 17:38

Wasn't the first boot I'd heard but possibly the first boot I'd bought - Seventh Of July, in 1990. Showed up in the mail. Was floored at how good it sounded, sound quality wise. Always wondered why Keith's second song wasn't included. Not that it hurt my feelings to not be able to listen to Can't Be Seen...

Too bad it's not Sixth Of July. They did Factory Girl instead of Angie and Before They Make Me Run instead of Can't Be Seen.

Date: July 28, 2012 19:39

Cant remember what came first. The VERY first ones bought on the streets of London "Mick's B'day Party" and "Paris 65". ATROCIOUS sound. The Paris one, had terrible sound, the girls screaming, and worse of all - speed problems. By today's standards, completely unlistenable; but I listened to it many, many times. Doin the Crawdaddy
In NYC then I bulked up with all the '78 tour discs that were coming out very quick; one after another. "Summer Romance", "Lacerated", "Garden State", :"Out on Bail", and the Pathe Marconi studio stuff.
There was also two trip[le albums "Black Box" and "LA 75".
Very exciting, because the store owners in NYC kind of worked with you. Once they saw you were hardcore, and were just a punk with no $, but love for the Stones, they really helped me out. They held huge stacks of albums for me that I p[aid of (very) slowly, and often handed over to me before balance was paid off.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 28, 2012 20:01

Sometime back in the mid-90's I bought a pretty good little Pearl Jam bootleg called "Free World". This was especially important to me at the time because Pearl Jam had yet to release a live album. It wouldn't be until '98 when they released "Live On Two Legs" that there was an official live album, which seems strange today with the ABUNDANCE of live material with their bootleg series and various live releases.

Anyways, there was a music store close to me and I saw this thing, and had to pick it up.

Pearl Jam - "Free World" Live In The U.S. 92-93

1. Animal - MTV Music Awards '93
2. Rockin In The Free World (w/Neil Young) - MTV Music Awards '93
3. Footsteps (Mountainview, CA 11/1/92)
4. Alive (Mountainview, CA 11/1/92)
5. Daughter (Mountainview, CA 11/1/92)
6. Angel (Mountainview, CA 11/1/92)
7. Baba O'Riley (The Who Cover) - (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
8. W.M.A. (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
9. Dissidence (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
10. Blood (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
11. Indifference (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
12. Rearviewmirror (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
13. Breath (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
14. Release (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
15. Dirty Frank/Rats (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)
16. Sonic Reducer (Dead Boys Cover) - (Slim's Club: San Francisco, CA 5/13/93)

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 28, 2012 20:09

I must say I am really glad I started this thread, the posts are excellent.

I forgot to say, feel free to upload pics of your bootlegs too!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 28, 2012 20:55

In 1974, I bought a vinyl LP called THE WHO LIVE, which turned out to be a portion of the 8/13/71 show from Dayton, Ohio at Scotti's in Summit, NJ.

A couple years later, my brother borrowed the 3 LP Stones at LA Forum box set and the Who at the Fillmore East 1978 from a classmate, both of which I recorded my then-brand new cassette deck. And the rest is history....

Date: July 29, 2012 18:31

First boot was 'BBC Zep'. The first Stones was 'Charlie Watts and His Rolling Stones'. As ststed above on speckled wax. Got this from Vicki Vinyl when she had her record store, Beggers Banquet, in Anaheim. Would go in there every Saturday to see what new 'product' came in. Got most of the IMP releases hot off the press. Ahh, those were the days.

Scotty

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 29, 2012 18:52

ab

A couple years later, my brother borrowed the 3 LP Stones at LA Forum box set and the Who at the Fillmore East 1978 from a classmate, both of which I recorded my then-brand new cassette deck. And the rest is history....

Surely you mean The Who - Fillmore East 68?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home