Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Opening number for the upcoming tour?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:15

Any suggestions? Mine is "Shattered". I like the energy in that song. What's yours?

Re: Opening number for the upcoming tour?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:17

Ladies and gentlemennnnnnnnnnnnnn

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:23

i'm sooo tired of opening numbers. it's been done to death. let's just start with the next song.

Date: July 20, 2012 01:27

Jumpin' Jack Flash. They destroyed that song decades ago so get it out of the way. Like they have for a lot of shows for the past, what, five tours or so.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:38

'Stoned' flip side to 'I Wanna Be Your Man'.

Or maybe just 'I Wanna Be Your Man'.

Actually, 'Come On' might be appropriate.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 20, 2012 01:39

treaclefingers

please don't make keef practice any more than nessy...

Date: July 20, 2012 01:42

StonesTod
treaclefingers

please don't make keef practice any more than nessy...

He's unlikely to remember much anyway...maybe those could be songs where he just does the periodic windmill whilst flicking picks to the front row?

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: July 20, 2012 02:04

A very minimalistic overture

Keith sitting alone, with an acoustic guitar

Plays and sings - starting from the third strophe -

Sounding very thin and rarefied (not difficult nowadays)

But growing in volume and intensity …

…I was crowned with a SPIKE RIGHT THRU MY HEAD

BUT IT’S ALL RIGHT NOW

Then the song”explodes”

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 20, 2012 02:07

Continenetal Drift!

I had 3 beers and went to the bathroom twice during that opener...

Plus, since its a recording, they NAILED it! Mostly every night!!

Date: July 20, 2012 02:08

zumabitch
A very minimalistic overture

Keith sitting alone, with an acoustic guitar

Plays and sings - starting from the third strophe -

Sounding very thin and rarefied (not difficult nowadays)

But growing in volume and intensity …

…I was crowned with a SPIKE RIGHT THRU MY HEAD

BUT IT’S ALL RIGHT NOW

Then the song”explodes”

Does Keith survive the explosion?!

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 20, 2012 02:09

All sold out

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: July 20, 2012 02:13

Treaclefingers,

By "the song explodes" I mean: it has a powerful crescendo ... Well he survived the "spike thru his head" recently, or you mean, "will he survive and handle the hard rocking part of the song" ? We will see (in a fringe parallel universe maybe)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-20 02:15 by zumabitch.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 20, 2012 02:24

Intro: Just Wanna See His Face

1st song: Sympathy for the Devil

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 20, 2012 02:53

I was thinking about this very thing today while working outside. But only for a moment, and after I heard this song on the radio. But only if they use the Sitar.

"Paint It Black"

Songfacts: (Does anyone disagree)

This is written from the viewpoint of a person who is depressed. He wants everything to turn black to match his mood.
The song seems to be about a lover who died:
"I see a line of cars and they're all painted black" - The hearse and limos.
"With flowers and my love both never to come back" - The flowers from the funeral and her in the hearse. He talks about his heart being black because of his loss.
"I could not foresee this thing happening to you" - It was an unexpected and sudden death.
"If I look hard enough into the setting sun, my love will laugh with me before the morning comes" - This refers to her in Heaven.

The Rolling Stones wrote this as a much slower, conventional Soul song. When Bill Wyman began fooling around on the organ during the session doing a takeoff of their original as a spoof of music played at Jewish weddings. Co-manager Eric Easton (who had been an organist), and Charlie Watts joined in and improvised a double-time drum pattern, echoing the rhythm heard in some Middle Eastern dances. This new more upbeat rhythm was then used in the recording as a counterpoint to the morbid lyrics.

Jagger got the line "I turn my head until my darkness goes" from James Joyce's Ulysses.

Stones guitarist Brian Jones played the sitar on this. He made good television by balancing the instrument on his lap during appearances.

Keith Richards: "We were in Fiji for about 3 days. They make sitars and all sorts of Indian stuff. Sitars are made out of watermelons or pumpkins or something smashed so they go hard. They're very brittle and you have to be careful how you handle them. We had the sitars, we thought we'd try them out in the studio. To get the right sound on Paint It Black we found the sitar fitted perfectly. We tried a guitar but you can't bend it enough."

This was used as the theme song for Tour Of Duty, a CBS show about the Vietnam war which ran from 1987-1989.

On the single, there is a comma before "Black" in the title. Some people thought this was a racial statement.

Mick Jagger: "That was the time of lots of acid. It has sitars on it. It's like the beginnings of miserable psychedelia. That's what the Rolling Stones started - maybe we should have a revival of that."

U2 did a cover of this for the 7" B-side of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses," and used some of it in live versions of "Bad." Other artists who have covered it include Deep Purple, Vanessa Carlton, GOB, Tea Party, Johnny Lang, Face to Face, Earth Crisis, We Are Sex Perverts (W.A.S.P.), Rage, Glenn Tipton, Elliott Smith, Eternal Afflict, Anvil, and Risa Song.

Jack Nitzsche played keyboards. Besides working with The Stones, Nitzsche arranged records for Phil Spector and scored many movies. Nitzsche had an unfortunate moment when he appeared on the TV show Cops after being arrested for waving a gun at a guy who stole his hat. He died of a heart attack in 2000 at age 63.
The Stones former manager Allen Klein owns the publishing rights to this. In 1965, The Stones hired him and signed a deal they would later regret. With Klein controlling their money, The Stones signed over the publishing rights to all the songs they wrote up to 1969. Every time this is used in a commercial or TV show, Klein gets paid.

This is featured in the closing credits of the movie The Devil's Advocate. It is also heard at the end of Stanley Kubrick's movie Full Metal Jacket, where it serves as an allegory of the sorrow of the sudden death in the song relating to the emotional death of the men in the film, and of all men in war.

"Paint It Black" was referenced in the second verse of the song "Thirteen" by Big Star: "Won't you tell your Dad get off my back? Tell him what we said 'bout Paint It Black. Rock 'n' Roll is here to stay. Come inside where it's OK. And I'll shake you."

This song was used in the movie Stir Of Echoes with Kevin Bacon. In the movie, Bacon's character hears the first few chords of it in a memory, but could not think of the song. It drives him crazy through most of the movie.

Talking on his Absolute Radio show, Stones' co-guitarist Ronnie Wood disclosed that Keith Richards has trouble remembering how to play this song. He revealed, "We always have this moment of hesitation where we don't know if Keith's going to get the intro right."

From Songfacts.com

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 20, 2012 02:55

Mother's Little Helper

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 20, 2012 02:56

I prefer to leave it to the band to decide. I do not like to control the set list, I'd rather be surprised.

But:

You're the boss! Okay! You're the boss! Okay! Okay! Okay!
I do what you say! Okay!

Intro: Satisfaction.

Followed by:

If You Need Me

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love.

(That is, start on some kind of top, and go on up from there!
Then with this take-off almost anything would be possible.)

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 20, 2012 03:04

Hound Dog
Mother's Little Helper

What a drag it is getting old. Yep, that would be funny but rocking, and it's not hard to play and they haven't done it since like '66. Perfect! Keith's voice, unlike his guitar, has improved with age, so he could do a nice job on the harmony if he were so inclined.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: July 20, 2012 03:34

what about a new song,get with the program boys.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:08

backstreetboy1
what about a new song,get with the program boys.

The object is to blow the crowd away not bore them. New songs get the third or fourth slot.

Date: July 20, 2012 04:14

Witness
I prefer to leave it to the band to decide. I do not like to control the set list, I'd rather be surprised.

But:

You're the boss! Okay! You're the boss! Okay! Okay! Okay!
I do what you say! Okay!

Intro: Satisfaction.

Followed by:

If You Need Me

Everybody Needs Somebody to Love.

(That is, start on some kind of top, and go on up from there!
Then with this take-off almost anything would be possible.)

good one witness

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:14

I think Gimme Shelter would be an exhilarating opening track

have they ever opened with this?

I like the idea of Just Wanna See His Face as an opener (on tape) though

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:31

i think we all know what they are going to play...whatever is the easiest and takes the least amount of effort...

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:48

Just in rehearsal footage

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-20 04:50 by U2Stonesfan.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: July 20, 2012 04:59

Miracle Worker

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 20, 2012 05:30

cowboytoast
i think we all know what they are going to play...whatever is the easiest and takes the least amount of effort...

I agree...I suspect it'll be something predictable like Start Me Up. I can just see the opening night reviews..."Appropriately, they began with Start Me Up."

Yawn.

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: July 20, 2012 05:46

Opening number will be Under My thumb, featuring Bill Wyman on Bass.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 20, 2012 06:47

GADAWG
Opening number will be Under My thumb, featuring Bill Wyman on Bass.

Excellent!

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: July 20, 2012 07:19

Rough Justice

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 20, 2012 08:39

The stage is dark as anticipation builds. Then slowly, eerie psychedelic music starts to build. A single spotlight illuminates center stage and there stands....Bill Wyman, as he starts the first verse to "In Another Land".

I get chills just thinking about it.

Date: July 20, 2012 08:59

71Tele
The stage is dark as anticipation builds. Then slowly, eerie psychedelic music starts to build. A single spotlight illuminates center stage and there stands....Bill Wyman, as he starts the first verse to "In Another Land".

I get chills just thinking about it.

my nipples are erect.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home