Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Going to Spain next week - any ideas are appreciated
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 15, 2012 23:43

stonesnow
Chris Fountain
Funny you mentioned Peru. My wife is actually in Lima as we speak. I'm headed up to Boston first thing in the morning. It's strictly business, but any ioorians that can suggest a good seafood restaruant would be appreciated. This is crisis mode trip ..but maybe I can nail down a Lobster.

Hi Chris, there are lots of Legal Sea Foods restaurants in and around Boston and even at Logan Airport Terminals B and C.

www.legalseafoods.com/restaurant#Massachusetts

Of course, that's the safe chain restaurant option. However, if you're looking instead for a touch of history and charm, then visit the oldest restaurant in America--the union Oyster House on the Freedom Trail near Faneuil Hall Marketplace.

www.unionoysterhouse.com

On the same street, for an aperitif or postprandial, you might also want to visit America's oldest tavern--the Bell in Hand (since 1795).

bellinhand.com/homepage

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: July 15, 2012 23:52

Chris Fountain
Funny you mentioned Peru. My wife is actually in Lima as we speak. I'm headed up to Boston first thing in the morning. It's strictly business, but any ioorians that can suggest a good seafood restaruant would be appreciated. This is crisis mode trip ..but maybe I can nail down a Lobster.

Skipjacks is good and The Atlantic Fish Company is excellent. Id go with the AFC- went there last year and it is great

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 16, 2012 14:51

chelskeith
I met a housewife hooker in Granada
We met at the Alhambra, with my bride

And?

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 16, 2012 17:46

Enjoy the cava and sun.smileys with beer

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: July 17, 2012 23:56

In general, all the places in Spain are secure. However, as in other places, you must be careful with pickpockets in Madrid and Barcelona, especially in turistic crowded places and public transportation (bus and metro).
Madrid:
Visit museums (El Prado, Reina Sofia & Thisen, all of them very near one of each other). Go walking from these museums through El paseo del prado and Castellana towards the street Gran Via. From there, through Alcala, to Puerta del Sol (this is the best example of secure place, buth with a lot of pickpockets). You can find interesting places to eat near the Plaza Mayor (for example, La Cueva de Luis Candelas). Other places: Palacio de Oriente, Templo de Debod (egipcian temple with really beautiful sunsets). If you have the chance, visit Toledo. Its a really historic city (small city) at 70 kilometers from Madrid. You can get there through train (Atocha Station).

Granada: really beautiful city. Visit: La Alhambra and Jardines del Generalife. Walk through the neighbouhourd "El Albaicin" (in fron of the Alhambra), and see an incredible sunset from the El mirador de San Nicolás (you can see the sun going down watching the Alhambra). Also, and although expensive, there are great restaurants that are called "Carmenes", all through El Albaicin, where you can have dinner watching La Alhambra.

Cordoba: Visit La Mezquita and El Alcazar. Both Cordoba and Sevilla are really hot in these days (more than Madrid or other places, that are also hot). Be prepared.

Ronda: small place, you will enjoy.

Seville: visit La Catedral, El Alcazar, and walk through the river Guadalquivir watching La Torre del Oro. You can have great food in the surrounding areas of La Catedral and El Alcazar.

Barcelona: interesting beaches and very beautiful "old area". Walk through Las Ramblas (careful with pickpockets). Really interesting museums and parks.

I hope al this helps! Let me know if you need further information
Be prepared for a really hot weather, try to visit places early in the morning or late in the evening. All the areas are safe given that a lot of people will be enjoying the "cold" nights.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 18, 2012 07:00

Don't skip the Basque region, particularly San Sebastian. Beautiful beach and the best food in Spain.

Date: July 18, 2012 23:09

Avoid restaurants aimed specifically at tourists

Hot weather for sure.

Luch usually from 14 to 16

Dinner usually 21.30 onwards.

Your are visiting so many cities that it is almost impossible to provide advise.

Sadly in any of those cities you will not be able to find a decent paella.

Cordoba and Granada are beautiful. Please try Gazpacho and Salmorejo at restaurants in this cities. Hot chocolate and churros / porras for having breakfast.

Madrid...too big. Capsula has indicated good places. Beware of pickpockets.

Wine....RIOJA wine at any time. From 20 euros upwards....you will find very good wines. You may try wine from other regions...buy if your staying is short do not abandon RIOJA (never). You will not forget it.

Date: July 18, 2012 23:17

Some places in madrid

I do not know your budget. So these are for average budget. Madrid:

El buey:

[restauranteelbuey.com]
[diaz-porlier.restauranteelbuey.com]

Bodega Rosell: [bodegasrosell.es]

Booking in advance is advisable, except for arriving very very soon.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: July 26, 2012 09:37

Spain was a great place for a road trip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 19:57 by chelskeith.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 26, 2012 14:09

71Tele
Don't skip the Basque region, particularly San Sebastian. Beautiful beach and the best food in Spain.

And nearby Bilbao. You can get a tube train from Bilbao that will take you along the coast towards San Sebastian. Great cider in the Basque region too.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 26, 2012 14:32

Chris Fountain
Speak the native tongue! For example, "How are you" in Spain is Howo areo youo?

Simply add "o"s to your words and you will feel right at home!

I heard about a Yorkshireman who went to Spain once, his wife had forgotten to pack his favourite gravy browning, but no fear, he remembered seeing a couple with a St. George's flag carrying suitcases into the apartment opposite so went across and asked cheerfully "Hast thou any Bisto?"
To which the skinhead cockney lad replied "@#$%& off you Spanish twat!"

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this jokey anecdote are not those of the author.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-26 18:55 by EddieByword.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: July 26, 2012 16:26

Some of my best experiences were outside of the big spots. Really enjoyed Caceres. Picked up this cool plastic set there for about 25 euros.

Date: July 26, 2012 17:50

Paella in Valencia:

In Malvarrosa beach (the beach in Valencia city):

La Marcelina Restaurant. Paella with chicken and rabbit ("valenciana")or paella with seafood ("marinera").

In downtown Valencia:

There are many. Just two:

Palace Fessol [www.palacefesol.com]
Restaurante Antonio Alba: Avenida de Aragón, 40, 46021 Valencia

You may go LA ALBUFERA a place near Valencia city (a big lake near Valencia, few miles away). Choose almost any restaurante there.

Good luck chelsekeith. Never abandon Rioja Wine....(he never would do that to you...grinning smiley)

Enjoy Spain.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home