Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : Peter O'Toole retires.
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: July 10, 2012 20:49

One of the greatest actors that ever lived retires.
This may be very OT, but I'm sure some of you where
fans.

[www.sfgate.com]

Re: OT : Peter O'Toole retires.
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: July 10, 2012 20:53

Loved him in Becket.

Date: July 10, 2012 20:55

From My favorite year.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 10, 2012 22:44

Oh man!

...I'll have to pull out Caligula and watch it in honor of his illustrious careersmileys with beer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 10, 2012 22:52

Lord Jim is a haunting and fantastic movie. O'Tool plays it perfectly.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 10, 2012 23:02

Lawrence of Arabia,,,all time greatness!

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 10, 2012 23:05

I saw him on the London Stage in Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell. He was on stage throughout the play as I remember and he was great in a great production.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-31 21:14 by Harlem Shuffler.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 10, 2012 23:08

My Favorite Year and The Ruling Class are tops. Enjoy your retirement, sir.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 11, 2012 10:38

I was watching MY FAVORITE YEAR on TV when my college roommate walked by, looked at the TV, and stopped and said, "Peter O'Toole walks like Mick Jagger." I still haven't made a study of it to consider if he was right.

Anyway, Peter O'Toole and the Rolling Stones did cross paths:

BILL WYMAN: "Once in Los Angeles, I invited Peter O'Toole to come to one of our shows and he was absolutely astounded. He said he'd never seen or experienced any energy or any moment in his life that he'd felt at that concert. He said it was like the entry of the gladiators. I had to ask him, `But don't you feel the same thing knowing you are seen by millions of people in the movies?' `No,' he said. `You don't get that energy feedback, you don't get that amazing spectacle.' He was astounded by it. But me? I don't always think about it much."
From the below book:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-11 10:47 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2012 11:40

Loved him in What's New Pussycat as well as all the others mentioned so far.

Date: July 11, 2012 12:24

i thought he was dead

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 11, 2012 14:06

At one stage Keith sounded like him.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2012 14:09

At one stage Keith sounded like him.

........Didn't know O'Toole was a guitar player .....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 11, 2012 15:08

Posted by: 21stcenturystones ()
Date: July 11, 2012 12:24

i thought he was dead

You may be confusing him with his good friend Richard Harris,

Robert Duvall, Richard Harris a O'Toole had some great stories
together, especialy about drinking...much like Allan Swan.

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: July 11, 2012 15:09

Groucho Marx said, "Peter O'Toole? He's got a double phallic name!"smiling smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 11, 2012 15:42

I remember seeing an interview with him years ago where he was describing his life as a debauched actor. One quote stood out: "We were reprobates. But we were EXEMPLARY reprobates." A great phrase, but probably too many syllables to be a great band name.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 11, 2012 15:46

Best actor never to win an oscar

Date: July 11, 2012 15:53

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 11, 2012 15:46

Best actor never to win an oscar

He got a life time achivement Oscar that he almost refused saying
life wasn't over. His family convinced him to accept the award.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 11, 2012 16:12

misterfrias
Loved him in Becket.

My favourite film ever...Was so happy when found it on DVD.

Date: August 3, 2012 03:39

Happy 80 to Peter O'Toole.

Peter O’Toole at 80: The best drinking stories
By Orlando Parfitt | Movie Editor's Blog – 11 hours ago
Email

Acting legend Peter O'Toole is 80 years old! The thesp with the piercing eyes scooped a whopping eight Oscar nominations during a glittering career for the likes of 'Lawrence Of Arabia, ' The Lion In Winter' and 'Venus'.
[Related story: Harrison Ford at 70 - his best bust-ups]
He was also awarded a lifetime achievement Academy Award in 2003 (he initially turned it down, famously saying "I want to win the lovely bugger outright"). He's now retired, but his CV is remarkable.

Happy birthday!... Peter O'Toole is 80 (Credit: PA)
O'Toole is not just renowned for his monumental acting talent though. He's also infamous for his hellraising antics, along with fellow luvvies Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter Finch and Oliver Reed. Before ill health forced him to cut down on his drinking, the actor's boozy shenanigans were legendary.
Here's some of the best Peter O'Toole stories we could find… most are true, a few could be urban legends.

While filming 'Lawrence Of Arabia', O'Toole organised a date for Omar Sharif with "sex-swap pioneer" April Ashley. When Sharif found out that, um, all was not as it appeared, he chased O'Toole around the house with a meat cleaver.
Famously, O'Toole once went out for a drink in Paris… and woke up in Corsica. He's confirmed this actually happened.

Drinking buddies... O'Toole and Richard Harris (Credit: PA)
He also loved climbing. His party piece was drunkenly scrambling up the wall of Lloyd's Bank in Covent Garden. He used to scale it in his "Sunday shoes".
Richard Burton and O'Toole both said they were drunk throughout most of the shooting of 'Becket'. The pair were still awarded Oscar nominations.
While shooting 'The Lion In Winter', O'Toole cut off the top of his finger in a boating accident. He popped the finger in some brandy he was drinking, before pushing it back into place and wrapping with a bandage. Three weeks later he took the bandage off, and found he'd put it on the wrong way round, "probably because of the brandy, which I drank," explained O'Toole.
He went out boozing with Michael Caine when he was O'Toole's understudy for 'The Long And The Short And The Tall' at the Royal Court Theatre in 1959. The last thing Michael Caine remembered was eating egg and chips, before waking up in a strange flat with a headache. "What time is it?" he inquired. "Never mind what time it is," said O'Toole. "What f***ing day is it?" Two days had passed and they were due on stage in three hours.

Three's a crowd... O'Toole in play with pals (Credit: PA)
On one epic session with Peter Finch in Ireland, they tried to order drinks at a small bar after closing time. The landlord refused to serve them, so they wrote out a cheque and bought the bar. Thankfully he didn't cash it, and they ripped it up the following morning.
At one after show party in the 1960s, O'Toole was apparently spotted sitting on a throne onstage, with two pedal bins besides him. One contained beer, the other vodka.
Another possibly apocryphal story that we hope is true. He once went out for a boozy lunch with pals and by the evening they decided to take in a play. O'Toole took his seat, only to bolt towards the stage when the curtain went up. He had a part in the show.
And finally, while we're fairly sure he wasn't drunk at this point, his brilliant reading of the lyrics to The Spice Girls' 'Wannabe', in a spot called 'Peter O' Toole Delivers Lines That Are Plainly Beneath Him' on TFI Friday, is surely worth another look.

[uk.movies.yahoo.com]

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 3, 2012 04:27

"When you meet Peter O'Toole, he does not disappoint." ~Barbara Hershey

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 3, 2012 18:12

If you can find either volume of his autobiography Loitering With Intent (out of print at the moment I think), grab it immediately - you won't regret it. It's a chaotic, poetic, hilarious read - the man can WRITE.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 3, 2012 18:29

Lawrence of Arabia.

Perfect film.

Great acting.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 3, 2012 19:31

So funny in My Favorite Year playing a caricature of himself

Date: August 3, 2012 20:24

Ruling class was brilliant too.

Is he the most nominated actor to the Oscars that never won it?
Heard that once.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 24, 2012 01:10

cookwazzahoe
Groucho Marx said, "Peter O'Toole? He's got a double phallic name!"smiling smiley

John Waters said the female equivalent name would be "Muff O'Clit."

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 24, 2012 01:41

reg thorpe
So funny in My Favorite Year playing a caricature of himself

Hmmm. I thought it was supposed to be a version of Errol Flynn.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 24, 2012 07:09

Green Lady
If you can find either volume of his autobiography Loitering With Intent (out of print at the moment I think), grab it immediately - you won't regret it. It's a chaotic, poetic, hilarious read - the man can WRITE.

Loitering was good. You may also enjoy this very funny book which I endorse with all my heart-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home