Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: If the Beach Boys can play 45 songs a night why can't the Stones play 2 or 3 for their book event?
Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:38

justin what are you smoking,the stones played over 80 different songs on 40 licks tour and close to 50 on the last one.what do u mean have to learn 5 or 6 more.!!really,are you a real fan,or just another that doesnt know a thing about the boys.

Re: If the Beach Boys can play 45 songs a night why can't the Stones play 2 or 3 for their book event?
Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:50

James Kirk
Mike Love was on fire that night. Here's a copy of the speech.

Yes, thank you for posting this! I like Love's rant almost as much as Dylan's response. On fire indeed.

Date: July 11, 2012 16:16

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mickschix
Yes, those extended warhorses are a bit too much! Even SFTD is WAY too long now! IF they do tour, I hope they at least play the unreleased EXILE tracks, like Plundered My Soul...

Uhhhh, Plundered My Soul is not unreleased.

In my house it is unreleased, as I haven't opened the seal on the vinyl yet.

Ah ha ha ha ha. No. In your house the release is unaccessible. Which, quite frankly and completely frankly, is unacceptable.

While true, you have to realize I did say that simply to annoy you.

Good. I'd hate it if you said that to difficultly annoy me.

Date: July 11, 2012 16:18

nonfilter
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mickschix
Yes, those extended warhorses are a bit too much! Even SFTD is WAY too long now! IF they do tour, I hope they at least play the unreleased EXILE tracks, like Plundered My Soul...

The unreleased tracks are not available on vinyl, except 'Plundered My Soul' Record Store Day 45 which has no seal.

But if you have the 'unreleased tracks' on bootleg on vinyl...then they are on vinyl.

Right? Unless it's shiny black cardboard.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 11, 2012 16:38

Long John Stoner
GumbootCloggeroo
NICOS
How can you compare a close harmony band with a Rock band.....
They're both celebrating 50 years. Therefore, the comparison is mandatory tongue sticking out smiley

Um, no.

The entire premise of this thread is nonsensical. The Beach Boys are on a concert tour, while the Stones would be doing a single appearance to promote a book. But more to the point, what the Beach Boys are doing has nothing to do with whatever the Rolling Stones MIGHT do about a book. The 50 year aspect is the only thing remotely in common. You might as well ask why the Beach Boys don't read some passages from one of the many Brian Wilson biographies out there during their intermission. Makes as much sense.
I was kidding. Hence the emoticon.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: July 11, 2012 17:30

well they have that Blondie guy who was in the Beach Boys covering for Keith at most shows...so they should be able to..

in what world do i live in where an ex backup guy for the freaking Beach Boys plays for the Rolling Stones?

that's like finding out Santa Claus likes men...

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 11, 2012 17:35

cowboytoast, I'm guessing you think the Beach Boys sing nothing but simple songs about surfing and cars and girls?

Posted by: trentvinyl ()
Date: July 11, 2012 17:40

carlorossi
bam
The Beach Boys used to do a surprisingly good version of JJF as an encore.

That's funny! Never would have guessed after Mike Love's comments at some awards show in the '80. Paraphrasing, "I'll take 'I'll Get Around' over JJF any day". I wish I could remember what ceremony it was, but Love trashed a bunch of people. Bob Dylan came up to the podium later and said, "I'd like to thank Mike Love for not mentioning my name".
Full Dylan Quote:
And I want to thank Mike Love for not mentioning me. And I play a lot of dates every year too, and peace, love, and harmony is greatly important indeed, but so is forgiveness, and we gotta have that too. So thanks.

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: July 11, 2012 17:43

no no no...not at all...i totally respect what they have done...to a point...

that era in the 70's where they were wearing the white suits and top hats and dancing like the Rockettes is crap...but no...Brian Wilson did a grand job of carrying those guys for years...had it not been for him...they would never have went anywhere in music

but they became a band you can take your kids to go see..and Grandma....just like the Rolling Stones...

became pedestrian...

luckily guys older than both still prove in this day and age that they can still have credibility...still release new product...still be relevant and still care about their fanbase and thier art...2 examples of this are Ian Hunter and Hawkwind...

Unfortunately the Rolling Stones have not done this...and it took the Beach Boys 40 years to realease an LP that people care about...i don't remember people jumping up and down when "Cocomo" came out...maybe you did...i didn't...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2012 18:41

nonfilter
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mickschix

The unreleased tracks are not available on vinyl, except 'Plundered My Soul' Record Store Day 45 which has no seal.

[www.non-filters.com]

I have both US and Euro releases. THe Euro releases are sealed.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2012 18:44

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mickschix

Ah ha ha ha ha. No. In your house the release is unaccessible. Which, quite frankly and completely frankly, is unacceptable.

While true, you have to realize I did say that simply to annoy you.

Good. I'd hate it if you said that to difficultly annoy me.

I prefer to put in as little effort as is humanly possible.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 11, 2012 19:14

Didn't Mike Love disown his son after raising him because it turned out he wasn't the biological father. I'll stick with stones, as @#$%& up as they have been they never shit on their kids.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 11, 2012 20:29

you don´t know what will happen tomorrow, so how do you know waht they won´t do?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 11, 2012 20:57

I listened to a live Beach Boys album from 1972/73 entitled The Beach Boys In Concert.

I would rather that, wherein they mixed current material, i.e. Holland, Carl & The Passions, Surfs Up, as opposed to huge trawls through the pre 1966 material, which is what they have been doing since 1976.

From what I understand, they have pre-recorded tracks with Carl and Dennis, which seems ghastly to me. I cannot imagine Mick, Keith etc, appearing with pre-recorded hammered dulcimers, sitars, mellotrons, on Brian Jones era material.

In fact, I have just listened to 2,000 Light Years From Home on the Tokyo Dome stonesarchive and am glad that a pre-recorded track doesn't exist.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 11, 2012 21:29

tomcasagranda
From what I understand, they have pre-recorded tracks with Carl and Dennis, which seems ghastly to me. I cannot imagine Mick, Keith etc, appearing with pre-recorded hammered dulcimers, sitars, mellotrons, on Brian Jones era material.

Saw it in person...it's not ghastly at all. It's one song each...tastefully done and a great tribute to the two deceased brothers. Carl's tribute is his signature song, with the band playing and singing along. I can't imagine Mick and Keith doing it, either - but that's really not the point. I can imagine Brian, Mike, Al and David doing it...and it's done quite well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-11 21:29 by Jah Paul.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 11, 2012 21:36

tomcasagranda
From what I understand, they have pre-recorded tracks with Carl and Dennis, which seems ghastly to me. I cannot imagine Mick, Keith etc, appearing with pre-recorded hammered dulcimers, sitars, mellotrons, on Brian Jones era material..

I'm dissapointed to see that you would be daff enough to even compare the two.

Doing a Brian or Stu pre-recorded track or video would totally not go at a Stones show--not one song actually calls for that.

"God Only Knows" and "Forever" are epic ballads on a completely different emotional level. And they're done just fine at the show. The band on stage takes those tributes very seriously.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 11, 2012 21:41

Justin
tomcasagranda
From what I understand, they have pre-recorded tracks with Carl and Dennis, which seems ghastly to me. I cannot imagine Mick, Keith etc, appearing with pre-recorded hammered dulcimers, sitars, mellotrons, on Brian Jones era material..

I'm dissapointed to see that you would be daff enough to even compare the two.

Doing a Brian or Stu pre-recorded track or video would totally not go at a Stones show--not one song actually calls for that.

"God Only Knows" and "Forever" are epic ballads on a completely different emotional level. And they're done just fine at the show. The band on stage takes those tributes very seriously.

Ok ! Point taken, but at least it's better than Jon Stamos singing Forever.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 11, 2012 21:43

Now you're talking!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home