Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If the Beach Boys can play 45 songs a night why can't the Stones play 2 or 3 for their book event?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: July 10, 2012 20:18

Call me crazy, but wouldn't it make sense for a rock band to actually play a few songs at this event to promote their new book on the bands 50th anniversary?

IF the rumors that all the Stones are going to show up to walk the red carpet to promote their new book are true wouldn't the Stones playing a few tunes get them far more media attention than posing for a few photos and interviews where they wont actually answer the questions that are posed to them? Who outside the die hard fans is going to care if the Stones walk the red carpet and take a few pic's?

There really is no excuse why they don't play two or three songs. Even if Richards can't play (which is total fanboy conjecture at this point) Mick Taylor will be there to cover for him and let Richards pose as he so loves to do these days. With the possible exception of KR we have seen all the Stones play quite well of late...After 50 years how much rehearsal time would they need to play "Start Me Up" or "Brown Sugar"?

If the Beach Boys can play between 40-50 songs a night why can't the Stones play a couple of tunes on their 50th anniversary?

Re: If the Beach Boys can play 45 songs a night why can't the Stones play 2 or 3 for their book event?
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 10, 2012 20:27

the Beach Boys have a proper band backing them up.

I don't think Mick Taylor can cover for Mick Taylor, let alone Keith.

Re: If the Beach Boys can play 45 songs a night why can't the Stones play 2 or 3 for their book event?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 10, 2012 20:35

You'd think they can do a few songs but who knows what shape they're in since it's been a couple months since they've played together.

But regarding the setlists vs the beach boys...

I've said it for years but the Stones can easily add at least five or six more songs to their set each night if they only quit playing the extended marathon versions of the warhorses. The last 30 minute block of any show is the usual greatest hits row and then it's smooth sailing into 5-6 minute triatholon version of these tunes. Do we really need a 5 minute version of JJF? Nothing is going on during the last 3 minutes. They all run around the stage, the horns are blaring...no one really takes a solo. Get rid of it and all the other ones like in "Satisfaction" (Keith can drop the solos on this one anyway), "Sympathy" (Ditto), "Tumblin Dice" "Brown Sugar" "IORR"

But by doing this, then they actually have to learn 5 or 6 new songs. Are they willing to do that? It's no wonder they'd rather play inflated versions of these warhorses to kill time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-10 20:39 by Justin.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 10, 2012 20:39

How can you compare a close harmony band with a Rock band.....they hardly move

Date: July 10, 2012 20:42

Well, it doesn't make sense. It's a book. It made sense for them to play three songs for the announcement of the BANG tour. The STEEL WHEELS conference was cool that they played 'a bit of a sample' of Mixed Emotions. Of course they played one song for the TOTA 'press conference'...

I just can't see them playing for a book release. They've never played for any other book release.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 10, 2012 20:48

Justin
You'd think they can do a few songs but who knows what shape they're in since it's been a couple months since they've played together.

But regarding the setlists vs the beach boys...

I've said it for years but the Stones can easily add at least five or six more songs to their set each night if they only quit playing the extended marathon versions of the warhorses. The last 30 minute block of any show is the usual greatest hits row and then it's smooth sailing into 5-6 minute triatholon version of these tunes. Do we really need a 5 minute version of JJF? Nothing is going on during the last 3 minutes. They all run around the stage, the horns are blaring...no one really takes a solo. Get rid of it and all the other ones like in "Satisfaction" (Keith can drop the solos on this one anyway), "Sympathy" (Ditto), "Tumblin Dice" "Brown Sugar" "IORR"

But by doing this, then they actually have to learn 5 or 6 new songs. Are they willing to do that? It's no wonder they'd rather play inflated versions of these warhorses to kill time.

...and don't forget the extennnnnnnnded version of Honkey Tonk Women as they make their way back from the B stage.

Date: July 10, 2012 21:00

Yeah, it's a book release that happens to be on their 50th Anniversary. That's a pretty big deal. Again, if they want publicity for the book why not play a few songs? For Crist sakes high school kids could learn "Start Me Up" in ten minutues. Why can't the Stones?

Date: July 10, 2012 21:04

Maybe they should get The Beach Boys to do the three songs...seeing that they're on tour and in great shape.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 10, 2012 21:11

NICOS
How can you compare a close harmony band with a Rock band.....
They're both celebrating 50 years. Therefore, the comparison is mandatory tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 10, 2012 21:12

I don't think I'd want to hear the Stones play 2 or 3 Beach Boys songs...

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 10, 2012 21:21

The Beach Boys used to do a surprisingly good version of JJF as an encore. Maybe they could play it for the Stones. They could also throw in a few Chuck Berry tunes.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 10, 2012 23:41

Yes, those extended warhorses are a bit too much! Even SFTD is WAY too long now! IF they do tour, I hope they at least play the unreleased EXILE tracks, like Plundered My Soul...

Date: July 11, 2012 01:38

mickschix
Yes, those extended warhorses are a bit too much! Even SFTD is WAY too long now! IF they do tour, I hope they at least play the unreleased EXILE tracks, like Plundered My Soul...

Uhhhh, Plundered My Soul is not unreleased.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 11, 2012 01:40

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mickschix

In my house it is unreleased, as I haven't opened the seal on the vinyl yet.

Date: July 11, 2012 02:24

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Well, it doesn't make sense. It's a book. It made sense for them to play three songs for the announcement of the BANG tour. The STEEL WHEELS conference was cool that they played 'a bit of a sample' of Mixed Emotions. Of course they played one song for the TOTA 'press conference'...

I just can't see them playing for a book release. They've never played for any other book release.

It just sounds pathetic when you read it.

The greatest rock and roll band in the world, together for 50 years and celebrating their first live show ever...with a book release.

That just sounds sad.

Date: July 11, 2012 02:57

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mickschix

Ah ha ha ha ha. No. In your house the release is unaccessible. Which, quite frankly and completely frankly, is unacceptable.

Date: July 11, 2012 03:01

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

The greatest rock and roll band in the world, together for 50 years and celebrating their first live show ever...with a book release.

That just sounds sad.

Yeah. That's just... OK I'm not gonna take that one and run with it. I'll have to come up with something else.

Ah lemme think.

It would be terrifying.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 11, 2012 03:05

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

That just sounds sad.

Hmm... the Stones are best known from books these days... especially Keith has been very busy in that front..grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 11, 2012 03:18

James Kirk
Call me crazy, but wouldn't it make sense for a rock band to actually play a few songs at this event to promote their new book on the bands 50th anniversary?

IF the rumors that all the Stones are going to show up to walk the red carpet to promote their new book are true wouldn't the Stones playing a few tunes get them far more media attention than posing for a few photos and interviews where they wont actually answer the questions that are posed to them? Who outside the die hard fans is going to care if the Stones walk the red carpet and take a few pic's?

There really is no excuse why they don't play two or three songs. Even if Richards can't play (which is total fanboy conjecture at this point) Mick Taylor will be there to cover for him and let Richards pose as he so loves to do these days. With the possible exception of KR we have seen all the Stones play quite well of late...After 50 years how much rehearsal time would they need to play "Start Me Up" or "Brown Sugar"?

If the Beach Boys can play between 40-50 songs a night why can't the Stones play a couple of tunes on their 50th anniversary?

who ever said they wont?

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 11, 2012 03:19

bam
The Beach Boys used to do a surprisingly good version of JJF as an encore.

That's funny! Never would have guessed after Mike Love's comments at some awards show in the '80. Paraphrasing, "I'll take 'I'll Get Around' over JJF any day". I wish I could remember what ceremony it was, but Love trashed a bunch of people. Bob Dylan came up to the podium later and said, "I'd like to thank Mike Love for not mentioning my name".

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 11, 2012 04:04

carlorossi
bam
The Beach Boys used to do a surprisingly good version of JJF as an encore.

That's funny! Never would have guessed after Mike Love's comments at some awards show in the '80. Paraphrasing, "I'll take 'I'll Get Around' over JJF any day". I wish I could remember what ceremony it was, but Love trashed a bunch of people. Bob Dylan came up to the podium later and said, "I'd like to thank Mike Love for not mentioning my name".

Pretty sure it was the Beach Boys induction into the RRHOF ceremony. If memory serves me correctly he bashed McCartney, Jagger and Springsteen. Dylan's comment was priceless. FWIW, I saw the Beach Boys in Atlantic City a few weeks back and dare I say they were great. Almost too great. I had close seats and could see no verification of a lip synching but I mean the vocals were dead on. Brian Wilson's not so much but it was a real pleasure to see him performing with HIS band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-11 04:04 by jazzbass.

Date: July 11, 2012 05:51

Mike Love was on fire that night. Here's a copy of the speech.

"And I think it's wonderful to be here tonight, but I also think it's sad that there are other people who aren't here tonight. And, uh, those are the people who have passed away, those are the obvious ones. But the other not-so-obvious ones are people like Paul McCartney, who couldn't be here tonight because he's in a lawsuit with Ringo and Yoko. That's what he sent a telegram to some, uh, high priced attorney in this room, you know. And that's a bummer, because we're talking about harmony, right, and the world. If we can't get it together in America and in England, and harmony within our groups. I mean, beleive it, you can beleive it the Beach Boys have their own "interstescene" (not sure what Mike is trying to say here, and neither does Mike) or whatever you call it, squabbles. But that's a bummer when Ms. Ross can't make it, you know?" "The Beach Boys have continued to do, about, we did about 180 performances last year. I'd like to see the Mop-Tops match that! I'd like to see Mick Jagger get out on this stage and do I Get Around versus Jumpin' Jack Flash, any day now. And I'd like to see some people kick out the jams, and I challenge the Boss to get up on stage and jam. (during Mike's pause, someone in the house band plays the theremin line of "Good Vibrations" during the crowds tepid response) I wanna see Billy Joel, see if he can still tickle ivories, lemmee see. I know Mick Jagger won't be here tonight, he's gonna have to stay in England. But I'd like to see us in the Coliseum and he at Wembley Stadium because he's always been chickenshit to get on stage with the Beach Boys."

Who knows, maybe Mike Love was right? Lol

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: July 11, 2012 06:00

Let us not forget that The "Beach Boys" do not play, is their backing band...

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 11, 2012 06:07

James Kirk
Mike Love was on fire that night. Here's a copy of the speech.

"And I think it's wonderful to be here tonight, but I also think it's sad that there are other people who aren't here tonight. And, uh, those are the people who have passed away, those are the obvious ones. But the other not-so-obvious ones are people like Paul McCartney, who couldn't be here tonight because he's in a lawsuit with Ringo and Yoko. That's what he sent a telegram to some, uh, high priced attorney in this room, you know. And that's a bummer, because we're talking about harmony, right, and the world. If we can't get it together in America and in England, and harmony within our groups. I mean, beleive it, you can beleive it the Beach Boys have their own "interstescene" (not sure what Mike is trying to say here, and neither does Mike) or whatever you call it, squabbles. But that's a bummer when Ms. Ross can't make it, you know?" "The Beach Boys have continued to do, about, we did about 180 performances last year. I'd like to see the Mop-Tops match that! I'd like to see Mick Jagger get out on this stage and do I Get Around versus Jumpin' Jack Flash, any day now. And I'd like to see some people kick out the jams, and I challenge the Boss to get up on stage and jam. (during Mike's pause, someone in the house band plays the theremin line of "Good Vibrations" during the crowds tepid response) I wanna see Billy Joel, see if he can still tickle ivories, lemmee see. I know Mick Jagger won't be here tonight, he's gonna have to stay in England. But I'd like to see us in the Coliseum and he at Wembley Stadium because he's always been chickenshit to get on stage with the Beach Boys."

Who knows, maybe Mike Love was right? Lol

Jeez, was he drunk? What a crass speech.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2012 06:08

Mike Love always looks like he's dressed by his grand-mother .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 11, 2012 06:09

dandelion1967
Let us not forget that The "Beach Boys" do not play, is their backing band...

Completely untrue. While they do have a backing band, Jardine, Johnston, Brian Wilson and Marks played the entire gig and were well out in front of the mix.

Date: July 11, 2012 07:09

Doxa
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

That just sounds sad.

Hmm... the Stones are best known from books these days... especially Keith has been very busy in that front..grinning smiley

- Doxa

I guess you're right on that one Doxa...the most 'units' moved by a Stone in years...and that's including Wyman's head count!

Date: July 11, 2012 07:10

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mickschix

Ah ha ha ha ha. No. In your house the release is unaccessible. Which, quite frankly and completely frankly, is unacceptable.

While true, you have to realize I did say that simply to annoy you.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:19

GumbootCloggeroo
NICOS
How can you compare a close harmony band with a Rock band.....
They're both celebrating 50 years. Therefore, the comparison is mandatory tongue sticking out smiley

Um, no.

The entire premise of this thread is nonsensical. The Beach Boys are on a concert tour, while the Stones would be doing a single appearance to promote a book. But more to the point, what the Beach Boys are doing has nothing to do with whatever the Rolling Stones MIGHT do about a book. The 50 year aspect is the only thing remotely in common. You might as well ask why the Beach Boys don't read some passages from one of the many Brian Wilson biographies out there during their intermission. Makes as much sense.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: July 11, 2012 07:37

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
mickschix

The unreleased tracks are not available on vinyl, except 'Plundered My Soul' Record Store Day 45 which has no seal.

[www.non-filters.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home