Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

unreleased songs
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 7, 2012 20:46

Does anyone have any information or anecdotes about these unreleased songs?

From Steel Wheels sessions:

Gangsters Moll II (MJ/KR) – unverified
Giving It Up (MJ/KR)
Hang On (To Me) Tonight I (MJ) – unverified
Hot Line (MJ/KR) – unverified
Ready Yourself I (MJ/KR) - with KR on vocals
Sweet Thing I (MJ) – unverified
Three Oceans (MJ/KR) – unverified
When I Get To Thinking (MJ/KR) - unverified
You’ve Got Some Nerve (MJ/KR) - unverified

From Voodoo Lounge sessions:

Sonny (MJ/KR) –unverified
Hold On You (MJ/KR) –instrumental
Anything For You (MJ/KR) –instrumental

From Bridge to Babylon:
Don’t Apologize (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
Ever Changing World (MJ/KR) –unverified
High Or Low (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
I’m Cured (MJ/KR) –unverified
Young Love - KR, Blondie Chaplin and Bernard Fowler on vocals, Waddy
Wachtel on guitar, Jim Keltner on percussion, Don Was on
bass; unverified

From 40 licks sessions:

Smooth 180 (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
Only Found Out Yesterday (KR) –unverified
+ more (probably all unfinished; 28 songs/ideas in all)

Re: unreleased songs
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 7, 2012 20:53

Yeah, they weren't good enough to make the record and/or Mick had not completed his vocal parts on the songs satisfactorily for release.

A nice list it is although. peace

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 7, 2012 20:59

You can find some of these on various boots.

"Ready Yourself" for instance is on the Training Wheels boot and other SW demo boots

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 7, 2012 21:02

Munichhilton

"Ready Yourself" for instance is on the Training Wheels boot and other SW demo boots

that's sposed to be some kinda anecdote?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 7, 2012 21:25

StonesTod
Munichhilton

that's sposed to be some kinda anecdote?

I think its an antidote

Damn, now I'm hungry

Date: July 7, 2012 21:45

There was an short album's worth of unfinished but nicely framed songs from the VOODOO sessions.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 7, 2012 22:09

i would be interested in the planned but yet unreleased lp of outtakes round ´98/99.

Date: July 8, 2012 00:48

Munichhilton

For me "Ready Yourself' is the only song of the list available on boot.
Then there are "Hang On (To Me) Tonight" and 'Sweet thin' that have been published on Wandering Spirit.

Re: unreleased songs - "Better Get Used To It" ?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 3, 2012 16:34

Actually "Giving it Up" was part of the same SW sessions release in 2006. Not great, but good and it's always nice to discover new outtakes. This is the latest batch to leak as far as I know...well with Mick's "Danger up Ahead" from the '87 sessions with Beck (not sure when that leaked, 2008 ?)

I think these songs (with For your Precious Love and Gangster's Moll) started circulating very early because they were mentioned in Dieter Hoffman's Weissbuch that I remember flipping through in London in February 1992.

On the "unreleased song" front it seems we need to add one called "Better Get Used To It" froom the VL sessions that was apparently being considered for release while they were mixing in Los Angeles. This picture was posted recently by mattleeuk in the "Show us your Rare Items' thread. Also of not is the working title of "Love is Stron" (I presume) when it was called "Love is Sweet". "Better Get Used To It" might be the actual title of the instrumentals on Disc 3 of Voodoo Brew.

Date: December 3, 2012 19:08

gotdablouse
Actually "Giving it Up" was part of the same SW sessions release in 2006. Not great, but good and it's always nice to discover new outtakes. This is the latest batch to leak as far as I know...well with Mick's "Danger up Ahead" from the '87 sessions with Beck (not sure when that leaked, 2008 ?)

I think these songs (with For your Precious Love and Gangster's Moll) started circulating very early because they were mentioned in Dieter Hoffman's Weissbuch that I remember flipping through in London in February 1992.

On the "unreleased song" front it seems we need to add one called "Better Get Used To It" froom the VL sessions that was apparently being considered for release while they were mixing in Los Angeles. This picture was posted recently by mattleeuk in the "Show us your Rare Items' thread. Also of not is the working title of "Love is Stron" (I presume) when it was called "Love is Sweet". "Better Get Used To It" might be the actual title of the instrumentals on Disc 3 of Voodoo Brew.

Very interesting gotdablouse!

...about 'Gangster's Moll', during Steel Wheels sessions they have reworked the original version as they did with 'So Young'?

Date: December 3, 2012 19:32

Possibly, it only circulated within a very limited circle and it never made it to a wider audience amazingly enough. Mick's version with Beck was leaked at the same time as "Danger Up Ahead" and frankly it didn't sound great especially the bridge he added. It's one of my preferred outtakes in the version you linked above but it lost a lot of its appeal in that version. I don't know if they started from that new version or the original one in 1989 during the SW sessions...hopefully we'll know some day.

It's amazing that even with 10 CDs worth of outtakes from VL there are still tracks that we don't know. "Better Get Used To It" must be the final title of one of the unnamed backing tracks on Voodoo Brew! "Love is Sweet" is interesting because Voodoo Stew has a version sung by Keith and it's also called "Love is Strong" so that change must have ocured rather late...or maybe Ronnie was thinking of something else when he wrote it down? Again, hope we'll find out someday.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 19:37

bluesinc.
i would be interested in the planned but yet unreleased lp of outtakes round ´98/99.

Yeah, that release was supposed to be titled Memory Hotel. If you read IORR news from May 1999 you'll see they changed their minds shortly before the release date. Does anyone have a track list of that rumored release?

Date: December 3, 2012 19:42

Amazingly enough no detailed info ever leaked as far as I know...that would have to be one of the questions I'd ask Mick or Don Was if I ever had the chance. Oh that and the fact that I could swear Mick once wrote in an AOL chat in 1994 that he'd recorded new vocals for "Fiji Jim" in December 1993 when Virgin intended to rerelase the albums with new tracks. I'm sure he'd be most interested in that type of question ;-)

Date: December 3, 2012 19:52

henrik87
bluesinc.

Yeah, that release was supposed to be titled Memory Hotel. If you read IORR news from May 1999 you'll see they changed their minds shortly before the release date. Does anyone have a track list of that rumored release?

Thanks henrik87, i've never heard about this lp of outtakes. Maybe BV could say something more about it:

"May 21 1999: New Stones CD Memory Hotel out May 31st
The new Stones CD titled Memory Hotel will be out by Monday May 31st, to back up the European Tour. No news about the tracks on the CD, but it might be outtakes from the previous two albums, that are supposed to be finished for production by now."

Date: December 3, 2012 19:57

"Memory Hotel
A compilation of B-sides and rarities from the last VIRGIN albums, to be released in 31st May 1999, to promote the European leg of the No Security Tour and the new re-releases of Stones back catalogue in mid-1999 to 2000.
A couple of CD-singles set to released were cancelled and the album delayed and cancelled, too."

The mistery of 'Memory Hotel' tracklist!! winking smiley

Date: December 3, 2012 20:38

Someone, somewhere MUST know !

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: December 3, 2012 21:26

I remember reading about Memory Hotel around that time, it's disappointing they never released it. I thought there were rumors that it would include Fiji Jim, Gangster's Moll and For Your Precious Love among the tracks on the release. It would be interesting to see what the proposed tracklisting would've been.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2304
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home