Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Adelaide 1973
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 7, 2012 18:38

Anybody listened to these 2 shows ?

Here's my impressions:

First show is bloody fantastic - it just like Perth and Sydney 1973; everything clicks. - and the quality is ALMOST very good - BUT it has a certain "coming from a plastic bucket" sound to it that drags it down, and therefor makes it one-for-the-collectors - as the 9-to-4-man would not care for this recording disturbing his supper.

The Feb 21st show was first released on vinyl "I Think It's Gonna Rain Again Tonight", and the quality is damn good, for being an audience recording made by one of Rockman's friends. The DAC release with the same title, has such a fuc*ing hiss that it's impossible to listen to. It feels sick to release to that disc. Great recording - but impossible to enjoy. Anyway - the performance is somewhat faded; Jagger is trying the best to seduce the audience during the first 3-4 songs, but it doesn't work - the whole band is worn out. Another day on the road. Sigh. But mind you....it's still really good. Just not good "compared to other 1972/1973 shows"

When listening to the Melbourne concerts, the 2 concerts existing on recording, that is (nevermind the 6 songs existing from the 2nd show which sounds like noises from somebody's toilet-visit) - it's so far superior to Adelaide 2nd show that it really hits you. I would guess that some sick, funny and drugged-out women there in Adelaide are the ones to blame. Would love to have attended that party.

Somebody here has any photos from Adelaide 1973?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-08 16:02 by Erik_Snow.

Re: Adelaide 1973
Posted by: maremma ()
Date: July 7, 2012 19:30

Salut Eric
how could i get in touch with you regarding those 2 shows?
Merci par avance.
Hervé

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 7, 2012 19:35

Here's Gimme Shelter from Adelaide, February 21. A great version in my series 'kleermaker's weekly GS 1972/73 version'.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 7, 2012 20:05

Fantastic version of Gimme Shelter there. Great Jagger, a very audible Nicky and another awesome Mick Taylor solo. For several turns, I was expecting Jagger's scream of rape and murder to come in, but Taylor's solo just kept on going. I love it!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 7, 2012 20:10

Great thread. I've always been facinated by the Stones visit and performances in Australia. They were certainly on top of their game and this is the stuff that really stands out. Cheers Erik. peace

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 7, 2012 20:52

Hi Kleermaker!
Sadly your video doesn' t open on my cell.
Can you give me the title of the video so I can open it directly on You Tube.
Thanks in advance.
Sway.

Date: July 7, 2012 20:56

Sway the title is:

"The Rolling Stones- Gimme Shelter live 72-73 (17, Adelaide) - kleermaker's weekly version"

peace

Date: July 7, 2012 21:28

Naturalust
Sway the title is:

"The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter live 72-73 (17, Adelaide) - kleermaker's weekly version"

peace

the link is: youtube.com/watch?v=R2EJ8l1p-sY

This all must do the trick I guess.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2012 22:06

Fantastic solo by Mr Taylor. The boy was still really hot in 73.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 8, 2012 10:51

GREAT to have a rare post from Erik-Snow!

Date: July 8, 2012 12:30

Ah...many thanks.
I ' ll check You Tube this afternoon
kleermaker
Naturalust
Sway the title is:

"The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter live 72-73 (17, Adelaide) - kleermaker's weekly version"

peace

the link is: youtube.com/watch?v=R2EJ8l1p-sY

This all must do the trick I guess.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 8, 2012 17:02

Another nice version . .

Funny, how Charlie so often had problems to find into the song, particularly in 72/73, like the Perth trainwreck intro.He must be like the only professional drummer with such obvious dropouts. But that's the Stones of course . .

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 8, 2012 17:20

Had a dog named Adelaide once.

Then we changed it to Brisbane....Brisby for short

Nice dog

Date: July 8, 2012 17:28

Munichhilton

Nice dog

Brisbane (1973) is worth a thread of it's own - a really excellent capture and performance.

You have a 3rd dog now? What's his name?

Date: July 8, 2012 17:31

kleermaker
Here's Gimme Shelter from Adelaide, February 21. A great version in my series 'kleermaker's weekly GS 1972/73 version'.

On that youtube clip there, you doesn't have that awful HISS as present on the DAC release. I would guess that the "Kangaroo Mobile" boot is copied from the excelent vinyl release "I Think It's Gonna Rain Again Tonight" - and not from a hissy & lousy tape.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 8, 2012 17:35

Erik_Snow
Munichhilton

Nice dog

Brisbane (1973) is worth a thread of it's own - a really excellent capture and performance.

You have a 3rd dog now? What's his name?

Thanks for asking!
Its a her. "Ruby"

The girls named her after you know what

Date: July 8, 2012 18:25

CousinC
Another nice version . .

Funny, how Charlie so often had problems to find into the song, particularly in 72/73, like the Perth trainwreck intro.He must be like the only professional drummer with such obvious dropouts. But that's the Stones of course . .

The "Perth trainwreck intro" is exceptional because of its extent and duration. I think the fact that Nicky is playing so long (in honour of his birthday I guess) instead of Taylor is the main reason why Charlie was so out of it. He was simply confused.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 8, 2012 19:01

Yeah, it was exceptional.But no way the only one.
He's uneven and having some problems on this version too. But when it finally flows - it flows, like Perth.
I think he just had problems to find the 1, get into the groove.
These days Chuck is counting in for him on various songs.

Date: July 8, 2012 19:18

Erik_Snow
kleermaker

On that youtube clip there, you doesn't have that awful HISS as present on the DAC release. I would guess that the "Kangaroo Mobile" boot is copied from the excelent vinyl release "I Think It's Gonna Rain Again Tonight" - and not from a hissy & lousy tape.

One thing great about the Digital Audio Workstations of today is that most all of them have a software function which will take the hiss (and clicks) out of any recording. Sony developed a method of doing this long ago and the technology has trickled down to the point it is available on all the software platforms that come with consumer level soundcards. Sometimes you have to look hard for them in the wave editor software but them are almost always there.

Now people like Jeff Lyne are crazy about re-amping the whole recordings to give them some ananlog sounding punch after all the digital cleanups are done. I'm all for the experimentation and I certainly suggest anyone listening to hissy recordings probably has the tools available at their fingertips to clean up the sound considerably. Experimentation is the key and most of the fun too. peace

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 8, 2012 19:33

It's been a long time since I've listened to these recordings. I once listened to the entire '73 Winter tour starting with the Nicaragua Benefit (although I know it probably wasn't technically part of the tour) on through the final Sydney show in chronological order and took notes about the shows. As I remember it, the band were in good form in Hawaii. There was supposed to be some Far East shows that got cancelled and it left a gap in tour from Jan. 22nd to a couple weeks into February (around Valentine's day maybe?). And the first couple of Aussie shows were rather rough. Brisbane maybe? I can't really remember which particular shows but I know one of the very early ones was filled with train wrecks and slow tempos (tempi?). Then the band seemed to get it's groove back and played much better on the later shows. Very much at the level they had been on in North America in '72. All in all though, I recall the '73 Winter tour as being more inconsistent than the '72 tour. Still great, but maybe showing some hints of the inconsistency that was to come on the '73 European tour.

Date: July 8, 2012 19:42

Thanks for the video.
Interesting comparsion from TumblingDice betwwen the Winter Tour and the Euroean tour.

Date: July 8, 2012 20:20

SwayStones
Thanks for the video.
Interesting comparsion from TumblingDice betwwen the Winter Tour and the Euroean tour.

Wait until I've uploaded 'my' 1973 European tour Shelters as well. Then one can compare the 72 US tour, the 73 Australian tour and the 73 European tour as well as the different gigs from those tours properly. Because Gimme Shelter is an very appropriate criterion and standard.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home