Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Quadrophenia Documentary on BBC4
Posted by: nashville ()
Date: July 2, 2012 11:46

Did anyone else watch the recent documentary about the Who Quadrophenia album recently. Mostly Townsend talking about how the album came to be and the recording , live performances etc. Some contributions from Daltrey and Moon, Entwistle (archive for the last two).

Interesting dynamic within the group and their fraught relationships make the Stones look like a bunch of vicars. I really like Townsend in that he is always brutally honest in his interviews and doesn't just trot out the same tired old rock cliches.

some intriguing points -

Townsend not really impressed with Moon as a drummer - found him too flamboyant and you get the impression he would have preferred a more solid reliable drummer like Charlie. Daltrey on the other hand thought Moon was incredible.

Daltrey would not record his vocals if Pete was present.

Qudrophenia was originally going to be a quad album and quad stage show - never happened. A difficult album to recreate live and amusing archive footage of Daltrey narrating the story so that audiences could understand what the hell was going on. Also moon "singing" Bell Boy and Townsend's frustrations that he would frequently perform it like a comedy routine.

If you get a chance to see it then do so. I real pity that the Stones can't come up with an interesting an honest assessment of their work such as this although the Exile interview was a start.

Andy

Re: OT: Quadrophenia Documentary on BBC4
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 2, 2012 11:58

It's a great documentary,

I watched it yesterday.

They didn't like each other much - well Pete didn't like the others for sure.

Daltry's vocal in Love Reign Over Me is still incredible.

Was Pete really not there when he recorded that?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 2, 2012 12:00

The Townshend assertion that he didn't rate Moon surprised me because in other interviews he has said that he greatly misses him (as a band member).

Date: July 2, 2012 12:17

The most entertaining bit was seeing the 1973 gig where Moon was on Elephant tranquilisers.

He eventually passed out at the drum kit (after a lot of craziness).

Pete announced "can anyone play drums" and someone from the audience got up and had a bash.

Mad.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 2, 2012 12:29

Well It's The Who innit?

-Where do they live?

-Live at Leeds

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 2, 2012 12:46

Silver Dagger
The Townshend assertion that he didn't rate Moon surprised me because in other interviews he has said that he greatly misses him (as a band member).

Hi Mike,

I'd always take what PT says with a pinch regardless: having said that, this was a fascinating watch, free from the usual bland PR BS.

I suspect that he meant 'in the sudio' as opposed to onstage, which I can fully understand. Moon has my sympathies too because he was not wired to play to backing/click tracks...that wasn't where his near-genius took him.

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 2, 2012 13:08

Pete seems so full of sadness and deep regret at the end part about what drove him to write that resignation letter to his lawyer, confiding to his wife etc... Then, not bothering to send it.

Quadrophenia is packed full of emotion, great writing and great playing! Far more so than almost all other rock albums.

It's way better than anything the stones have done. hot smiley

Date: July 2, 2012 13:25

His Majesty
It's way better than anything the stones have done. hot smiley

As a collective piece of art work I would agree.

Quadrophenia is the ultimate concept album for me.. it actually hangs together unlike most "concept" albums.

The gatefold album sleeve was also a work of art.

A magnificent work all round.

Date: July 2, 2012 13:30

It is a great album but I don't think that it is necessarily better than the Stones at their very best. Certainly full of emotion and I suppose that is what you get from someone like Townsend who is basically the sole writer of the Who material and a pretty intense character. The Stones could never have come up with anything like Quadrophenia but then they don't write like that. Similarly Townsend couldn't have done Sticky Fingers and i am sure that he would be the first to aknowledge that. Both great bands in their own way.

Andy

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2012 13:46

........Imagine Daltry tryin ta do Midnight Rambler....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 2, 2012 13:50

Tis just my opinion, and of course The Who/Pete couldn't do what The Rolling Stones do, vice versa etc etc. smiling smiley

I haven't listened to Quadrophenia in a long time, but from first listen to the last it's always struck me as being the most emotionally charged, original, complete, fully realised album by a rock band. Most rock albums have quality highs and lows, but every part of Quadrophenia is relevent to the whole.

Music for the mind, heart and body.

Date: July 2, 2012 16:19

His Majesty

I haven't listened to Quadrophenia in a long time, but from first listen to the last it's always struck me as being the most emotionally charged, original, complete, fully realised album by a rock band.

Music for the mind, heart and body.

Forever Changes by Love has that same effect upon me.

Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home