Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Charlie on J. Fallon tonight (29th)
Date: June 30, 2012 21:53

Gibson668
No Ben Waters?????

More proof that the Stones aren't officially doing anything.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()

TheDailyBuzzherd
Post the vid of Fallon's segment please. I'll bet this BEATS The Stones.

Riffbuk
HereĀ“s the all show

OK, I'll take a bucket of stoopid with my initial request. grinning smiley

Thanks, Riffbuk!

24FPS
Good performance. Charlie was strong. No, no interview.

Even more proof that the Stones aren't doing anything...

Date: June 30, 2012 21:55

Stoneage
And it's strange that he doesn't interview Charlie. That would have been the only news-worthy material. Maybe Charlie refused?

Since the Stones offcially aren't doing anything this year, officially what is there to say? "We're not doing anything this year" is all he would officially say.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: June 30, 2012 22:03

TASTY ... said before, I'll say it again ... if The Stones record again,
it should be CHARLIE's record. We got the Stone, now make it roll.

BTW, seems The Iridium is THE NY jazz club today ... Les Paul's Monday night stands,
now this, and more. Wish I could go, so close too ...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2012 22:49

Naturalust
He looks so much happier playing with those cats than with the Stones.

Huh? He usually looks ecstatic to be playing with the Stones. It's just as much his group as anyone else in the band.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: June 30, 2012 22:56

HalfNanker
JuanTCB
HalfNanker
saw him at the Iridium last night...no Ben Waters there either nor any mention of him.

I'm going Sunday night - can't wait! How was the crowd? Did Charlie stick around and chat afterwards? Were cameras allowed? And, most importantly, how did they sound?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

good show, they make a big announcment about "no cameras" but everyone was taking pics.

As he left the stage he shook hands with many who reached out to him, but he had another show to do afterwards; maybe if you are at the late show he'd hang out longer, but I doubt it...its charlie, not much of a talker. Not even one spoken word from him during the show.

nonetheless a fun night!

I'd say after seeing this show, and the clips of Mick at the White House, plus last year's grammys and with Ronny playing pretty regularly to good reviews, it seems pretty clear that they are all in shape to tour. So it appears to me that it is up to Keith and his fingers...

Thanks for the giving me the lowdown - very much appreciated! I'm going to the late show, so hopefully I'll be able to get at least a handshake out of the deal.

I saw Mose Allison there a few years ago and the bartenders were extremely cool, so hopefully they won't mind me whipping out the Canon to snap a few shots.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 30, 2012 23:21

So bummed I missed it last night, thanks for the pics and video Shillid and Riffbuk. Big storm here in the east, just got our power back on. Who cares about no AC in 100 degree heat and the car we lost to a giant tree branch, we didn't have internet and I couldn't watch Charlie!

Posted by: Marianella ()
Date: July 1, 2012 01:03

They sounded GreaT - it doesn't mean I didn,t still fall asleep tho...confused smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 1, 2012 02:03

24FPS
Naturalust

Huh? He usually looks ecstatic to be playing with the Stones. It's just as much his group as anyone else in the band.

You are probably right but tell that to the record co. exec who had the verbage "Mick jagger plus four others" put into their 1970's contract. Besides Charlie always cuts down Rock and Roll (except for the Stones) and is the first to say this boogie woogie and jazz is where his soul is. I have seen shows where he seems to be going through the motions, great motions mind you. peace

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 1, 2012 02:23

Naturalust
24FPS
Naturalust

You are probably right but tell that to the record co. exec who had the verbage "Mick jagger plus four others" put into their 1970's contract. Besides Charlie always cuts down Rock and Roll (except for the Stones) and is the first to say this boogie woogie and jazz is where his soul is. I have seen shows where he seems to be going through the motions, great motions mind you. peace

I imagine it would be hard to play Brown Sugar for the 1,000th time and not go through the motions some nights. Then again, Charlie has always made some sort of distinction between rock and roll and the Stones. He's always said, "I like playing in THIS band."

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 1, 2012 03:19

24FPS
Naturalust
24FPS
Naturalust

I imagine it would be hard to play Brown Sugar for the 1,000th time and not go through the motions some nights. Then again, Charlie has always made some sort of distinction between rock and roll and the Stones. He's always said, "I like playing in THIS band."

Maybe he's just happy these days, I hope so. peace

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 1, 2012 05:29

VIDEO HERE

DISCLAIMER: "Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for 'fair use' for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."
(Sections 107-118 of the Copyright Act;
title 17, U.S. Code)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-01 06:12 by schillid.

Date: July 1, 2012 06:00

Naturalust
24FPS
Naturalust
24FPS
Naturalust

Maybe he's just happy these days, I hope so. peace

I dunno. I've seen some quite miserable faces from Watts with the Stones... Who else has gotten up in the middle of a "song" and left with the Stones?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 1, 2012 09:29

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Who else has gotten up in the middle of a "song" and left with the Stones?

Is this the "Sympathy For The Devil" incident from the last tour you're trying to cleverly reference?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-01 09:30 by Justin.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 1, 2012 16:40

Charlie's got tour hair!! It's on!

Posted by: Marianella ()
Date: July 1, 2012 17:19

This Boogie Woogie is So Cool! LiVE from Paris

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 1, 2012 20:15

VIDEO HERE

(if you missed the post above ...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-02 00:32 by schillid.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 1, 2012 20:25

24FPS
Good performance. Charlie was strong. No, no interview.

I recently read Barry Manilow say that in the 70's he'd play a song and then Johnny Carson would interview him for 15 minutes. Now, he says, talk shows just have him play a song and don't interview him. "The format for musicians on talk shows has changed for some reason."

Think what you will of Manilow, he has a big following who'd probably like to hear him talk.

As far as Charlie's bit, I wish the pianos had been better mic'd.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 1, 2012 20:55

Title5Take1
I recently read Barry Manilow say that in the 70's he'd play a song and then Johnny Carson would interview him for 15 minutes. Now, he says, talk shows just have him play a song and don't interview him. "The format for musicians on talk shows has changed for some reason."

Yeah, well it was easier for musicians (or anyone) to be interviewed for 15 minutes back then because in the 70's, The Tonight Show w/ Johnny Carson ran for a full 90 minutes. Today all talk shows run 60 minutes. The format for musicians changed drastically when you didn't have another 30 minutes to kill.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: July 1, 2012 21:14

fantastic!!

Date: July 1, 2012 23:52

Justin
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Who else has gotten up in the middle of a "song" and left with the Stones?

Is this the "Sympathy For The Devil" incident from the last tour you're trying to cleverly reference?

Bugs Bunny?

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 1, 2012 23:52

no interview? makes no sense

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 2, 2012 07:51

Just got back from Iridium.

Absolutely wonderful.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: July 2, 2012 14:59

Saw Charlie last night and will see him tonight as well. really enjoyable show - like a clinic in tasteful drumming, though every now and then he'd play some hard chops that evoked his playing with another well known band. the guy was in great music shape and clearly enjoying himself, there's no question about that, and his foursome is top notch. I particularly liked seeing ben waters.

I sat next to another drummer which was fun - we both just marveled at Charlie. the set was a bit short and a lot of people were disappointed he didn't come out. I think it would have been a nice thing to do. It's an intimate setting, people clearly adore him, and it wouldn't have taken that much for him to do it. On the other hand, I only half expected him to do so, so I could live with it. Marky Ramone was also there btw, and he looked good.

I took some film and made a couple recordings - I'll make them available when I get a chance.

I do love Charlie Watts.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1767
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home